Lactose intolerance

realtordebp

I am also lactose intolerant. I always go into the cruise personalizer on Princess and make a note that i am LI and that i need lactose free milk. They usually have other options to pick from like soy or almond milk. Then i receive an email back stating that it is all set up with the cruise ship.

Once on board i speak with the Maitre D and he gets the head waiter involved. Then he brings me the menu for the next day and we go over what i would like. They always take great care of me.

I can have baked goods like cookies etc, but they will not give them to me because they have milk in them. I try to explain that i am LI and not allergic, but they do not understand. Oh well.

I never starve and have been okay. Just get a hold of the cruise line in advance so that they know what is going on.

My granddaughter needs almond milk, soy milk or organic milk. How do you handle that on a cruise? We are booked on an 8 day in December and, since she is only 3, needs to have milk but not sure how to handle it. Thank you for your suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why Organic Milk ? Lactose is a product in all milk organic or not.

Why not try pills or liquid that she can take just before drinking milk.

If you used a TA have them contact Special services dept & let them know your needs or contact the cruise line now so it can be noted in your file

Once onboard follow up with the Maitre' D

You could always pack a couple boxes of the shelf-stable soy or almond milk. Have them as your "emergency" pack if, for some reason, you can't get alternative product onboard.

I am also curious how the toddler can drink organic milk, but not regular milk? Both contain the lactose sugars that make people lactose intolerant. There are milks like Lactaid, which have had the lactose sugars filtered out. But organic is still "whole cow."

I am also curious how the toddler can drink organic milk, but not regular milk? Both contain the lactose sugars that make people lactose intolerant. There are milks like Lactaid, which have had the lactose sugars filtered out. But organic is still "whole cow."

I didn't understand this either, as of course, it makes no sense.

That's right...there are pills that will negate the effects....or simply don't use mild! You can request a "special" diet without milk products via the "special needs" dept. The pills seem to be a better option, IMO!

I am lactose intolerant and I tried the pill route when they first came out and they did not work for me. I avoid milk products as much as possible. No milk based soups, desserts, etc. Thank goodness there are lots of lactose free products available at the grocery store now. But when dining out, I simply avoid anything that has milk in it. It is a life style that I have learned to live with.

I would request a non lactose milk substitute for your granddaughter and avoid milk based products. There will be plenty of foods to choose from without lactose.

This is how a pediatrician explained it to me.

If the child is lactose intolerant, and we give him milk after taking pills, lactose will still have effect on the body: stomach and other organs, and we won't know how destructive this will be. The pills will only mask the symptoms, they won't cure. It's a dangerous path. Just avoid dairy products.

I am puzzled by "organic" also. Maybe the OP meant lactose-free milk they buy in organic store?

I believe that I have seen either soy or almond milk (frequently both) on every ship I've sailed the past dozen years; of course, OP should confirm with the line.

To the extent OP included "organic milk" as one of the acceptable options, I wonder if this is a matter of a doting grandparent rather than a genuine case of lactose intolerance.

There are degrees of lactose intolerance.

I cannot tolerate fresh milk at all. I have no problems when eating yogurt or other cultured dairy products, nor do I have problems digesting cheese. For me, it's easy. I avoid fresh milk and ice cream. People with a more severe intolerance have to be much more careful with their menus.

There are degrees of lactose intolerance.

I cannot tolerate fresh milk at all. I have no problems when eating yogurt or other cultured dairy products' date=' nor do I have problems digesting cheese. For me, it's easy. I avoid fresh milk and ice cream. People with a more severe intolerance have to be much more careful with their menus.[/quote']

OK, gotcha'.:) However, it still makes no sense about the organic milk unless the OP meant they want almond or soy organic. Anyway, whatever the OP means, they need to contact special needs and discuss it with the line they are sailing.

My granddaughter needs almond milk, soy milk or organic milk. How do you handle that on a cruise? We are booked on an 8 day in December and, since she is only 3, needs to have milk but not sure how to handle it. Thank you for your suggestions.

There is nothing to handle. ASK for it.. Lido has soy milk as does room service and likely MDR. . You are not seeking an odd, rare, exogtic item It is an everyday it em. If you would order whole grain toast for the child, soy m ilk same as any thing else ;yo u or she wants.

Edited by sail7seas

There is nothing to handle. ASK for it.. Lido has soy milk as does room service and likely MDR. . You are not seeking an odd, rare, exogtic item It is an everyday it em. If you would order whole grain toast for the child, soy m ilk same as any thing else ;yo u or she wants.

Yep. Vegan here so I know about this. Just ask, it may take a BIT longer. If you have a preference for a brand or type (Carnival doesn't carry almond for instance) then find out the rules about bringing your preferred. I typically just do what they have as it's easier

Another thing for the OP to consider: does this toddler drink any brand and type of soy/almond milk or does he/she only like a certain one???

If you aren't a regular drinker of this, there are many brands and within the brands you have types: unsweetened, "original", vanilla, unsweetened vanilla, etc... the taste is different between the brands, too. Think Coke vs Pepsi - both colas but taste different. Me - I like Califa and Blue Diamond Original Almond milk. Cannot stand the Vanilla or Unsweetened versions.

If the kid will drink whatever is placed in front of her/him, you're OK. But, if the kid is fussy, I would still look into taking some of your own...