Just booked! Star Flyer 1/11/09

Sassy Chassis

I can't believe it...we're actually going to French Polynesia. I couldn't think of a better way to see the islands than on a beautiful sailing ship :D so I plunked down the deposit today!!

I had previously attempted to go to FP for our 10th anniversary...but it just didn't work out. Ah well, we're only 2 years late ;)

We are in a category 5 (room 136 on the Commodore deck) and are doing a one-night pre-stay at the Sofitel.

Does anyone have experience with transfers and/or this hotel?

• 2 weeks later...

Got the air itinerary from SC. Looks like we'll be making an overnight stop in LA at the Sheraton (LAX airport location). Anyone ever stayed there? The room rate they gave seemed decent $130/night. We are leaving Houston on Friday afternoon, staying overnight in LA, then traveling to Tahiti on Saturday afternoon.

Hey there Sassy.......We're off soon on the Aug.3 cruise and as you've probably realized, there isn't a large presence on the Board for the Clippers....I think the large European clientel is the reason. Haven't found anyone else on our cruise either.....did get an email from someone on the Trip Advisor forum on the same cruise.

We too leave out on a Friday, but are staying over at the Renaissance. Got room & breakfast for $139 & it looks pretty nice & is close. Leave LAX at 1 on Saturday & spend the night at the Sofitel and then 2 nights at the Radisson after the cruise.

We should be getting all our Docs any day now, so if you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer if I can. Also, if you plan on renting a car on any of the islands and are having difficulty, I finally found some contacts to arrange this.

Mike

Hey there Sassy.......We're off soon on the Aug.3 cruise and as you've probably realized, there isn't a large presence on the Board for the Clippers....I think the large European clientel is the reason. Haven't found anyone else on our cruise either.....did get an email from someone on the Trip Advisor forum on the same cruise.

We too leave out on a Friday, but are staying over at the Renaissance. Got room & breakfast for $139 & it looks pretty nice & is close. Leave LAX at 1 on Saturday & spend the night at the Sofitel and then 2 nights at the Radisson after the cruise.

We should be getting all our Docs any day now, so if you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer if I can. Also, if you plan on renting a car on any of the islands and are having difficulty, I finally found some contacts to arrange this.

Mike

Just do a REALLY good write-up when you get back...:D :D with lots of pics, of course!

Sassy and Budaman - there maybe a significant European presence on board SC but there also appears to be a significant number of Texans. On our Greece SC trip two years ago there were two other Texas couples on our cruise (I am from Ft. Worth originally and lived in Houston 10 years before moving to Tennessee.)

Anyway we will be on Star Flyer two weeks from today for the eleven day cruise!!! The dive gear is already packed and everything else will be soon.

We can not wait to experience the wonderful blue water of Tahiti as the Star Flyer sails from island to island.

We will post upon our return.

Just got back from Star Flyer and had day rooms at the Radisson and the Sofitel in Tahiti. Both were really nice. Transfers through the ship were seamless.

The Sofitel is really close to the airport and not so far from the ship. Tip: there's a CarreFour (sp?) grocery within walking distance if you need supplies, and the bar menu and room service menu are much cheaper than the restaurant if you're eating at the hotel. Also, the shower in the Sofitel is configured such that you drench the entire bathroom when showering so leave your clothes outside! But the bed was really lovely. And if you're taking your laptop, there's free Internet (but that might change).

The Sofitel has a white sand beach, while the Radisson's is black sand. The Radisson is slightly more romantic, I thought, with all the rooms facing the water. Both have great views of Moorea...that is, when it's not raining!

Erica

• 3 weeks later...

Isn't it strange to feel that good about dropping that much at one time with no instant gratification. When I made our final payment, it was the best feeling I've had in quite awhile.....and we will actually be in Papeete in two weeks. Seemed like it was so far in the distance when we made the reservations in May 2007. I think we are ready, the only thing hanging is getting a day trip to Tetiaroa reserved during the post stay. Will let you know how it was when we return.

Mike

Erica will you be posting a review of your time on board, hubby and I are looking at doing this trip.Thanks in advance.

Yes, I'll be re-writing the current Star Flyer review and also writing a Come Aboard piece about my personal experience. I'm not entirely sure when they'll be live on the site (the review will launch first), so feel free to ask me any particular questions you have.

• 2 weeks later...
I can't believe it...we're actually going to French Polynesia. I couldn't think of a better way to see the islands than on a beautiful sailing ship :D so I plunked down the deposit today!!

I had previously attempted to go to FP for our 10th anniversary...but it just didn't work out. Ah well, we're only 2 years late ;)

We are in a category 5 (room 136 on the Commodore deck) and are doing a one-night pre-stay at the Sofitel.

Does anyone have experience with transfers and/or this hotel?

We stayed at the Sofitel by the airport in 1995. It's a very short cab ride from the airport to the hotel. The next day we decided to take the local bus " well it's sort of a bus". Anyway it stops on the road just outside the hotel and it will take you to the dock . It was actually a lot of fun riding with the locals. At that time the cost was about a buck.

We are on the Dec. 7 Star Clipper cruise and I plan to do the same thing.

Happy Sailing

Pat

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Yes, you should receive a document package with ship info, shore excursions, boarding info card, luggage tags etc. It will come a few weeks after final pymt.

I've been paid in full for quite a while now. I called SC and they said 30 days prior to sailing so.... in a couple of weeks I should have them :D

• 2 weeks later...

Sassy

Just got back yesterday. I'll post a full review later but I'll sum it up as the best cruise I've ever been on out of 20. That includes two on Windstar and our previous Star Clipper cruise in the Caribbean.

We had to get a hotel in LAX the day before our flight. I went on Priceline and got a fantastic room at the LAX Embassy Suites for $50 + tax. BTW: Our flight on Air Tahiti Nui was excellent. Transfers to the ship and the hotel was a breeze.

Bon Voyage

Pat

Sassy

Just got back yesterday. I'll post a full review later but I'll sum it up as the best cruise I've ever been on out of 20. That includes two on Windstar and our previous Star Clipper cruise in the Caribbean.

We had to get a hotel in LAX the day before our flight. I went on Priceline and got a fantastic room at the LAX Embassy Suites for $50 + tax. BTW: Our flight on Air Tahiti Nui was excellent. Transfers to the ship and the hotel was a breeze.

Bon Voyage

Pat

Looking forward to your review, Pat!!

Archived