The Love Boat isn't real

Thoth

As a single/solo cruiser, I think the old Love Boat TV show has given many a false sense of what a cruise is all about.

I've been on 12 cruises and have met some fascinating individuals, but I've met a few who expected to "hook up" with Ms right on a cruise. There are times that I was the only one to show up for the single/solo meeting.

However...A ship is an ideal vacation of a single person in that there are 2000-3000 instant friends on-board. I never get lonely ! I party all right, just with married people.

Many who have never cruised fail to realize that pricing is geared to attract couples and families and we singles must pay 150-200%. Sure there are a few single people on-board, but most are older than what some expect.

Sad to say for some.... the TV show "Love Boat" got it all wrong.

As a single/solo cruiser, I think the old Love Boat TV show has given many a false sense of what a cruise is all about.

I've been on 12 cruises and have met some fascinating individuals, but I've met a few who expected to "hook up" with Ms right on a cruise. There are times that I was the only one to show up for the single/solo meeting.

However...A ship is an ideal vacation of a single person in that there are 2000-3000 instant friends on-board. I never get lonely ! I party all right, just with married people.

Many who have never cruised fail to realize that pricing is geared to attract couples and families and we singles must pay 150-200%. Sure there are a few single people on-board, but most are older than what some expect.

Sad to say for some.... the TV show "Love Boat" got it all wrong.

I find that people who claim the Love Boat is not real also claim Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy are not real either.

I find that people who claim the Love Boat is not real also claim Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy are not real either.

And one must not forget the Great Pumpkin :)

I have seasons one and two on DVD.

Just waiting on season 3 to come out.

I'm getting old I guess but TV just isn't what it used to be.

Lol the first couple seasons were the best! When they brought Vicki on it wasn't the same.

And having Fantasy Island come on after .... (sigh) made it a great night :D

And one must not forget the Great Pumpkin :)

Lol the first couple seasons were the best! When they brought Vicki on it wasn't the same.

And having Fantasy Island come on after .... (sigh) made it a great night :D

Fantasy Island ? I have that one on DVD also.

Fantasy Island ? I have that one on DVD also.

LOL.... If i recall correctly they were both on Satrurday nights :D

We had one TV and as long as Hockey wasn't on i got to watch them!

LOL I can't say that i have ever hooked up;) But i have meet a lot of really great people (still friends with them years later.. and actually will be sailing with a few of them in September).

Though on my Alaska cruise i was hit on .. but no hook up :p

LOL.... If i recall correctly they were both on Satrurday nights :D

We had one TV and as long as Hockey wasn't on i got to watch them!

Saturday nights...that's right.

We had only one tv and no cable and those two shows came on ABC which might come in clear or it might not.

As a single guy, I have cruised a few times. I have never had an trouble with finiding a woman for a "Hook Up" Its all about how outgoing you are.

I suppose it all depends on what one means by hook up.

If it means having dinner with a lady...then sure.

If it means one night stand...no thanks.

If it means finding a future ex-wife...not likely.

I suppose it all depends on what one means by hook up.

If it means having dinner with a lady...then sure.

If it means one night stand...no thanks.

If it means finding a future ex-wife...not likely.

It amazes me how many "ladies" believe that they will find "love" at sea. I saw it on my last HAL and CCL cruises. I think that the blame needs to be shared with "The Love Boat" and also Romantic Fiction:rolleyes:

It amazes me how many "ladies" believe that they will find "love" at sea. I saw it on my last HAL and CCL cruises. I think that the blame needs to be shared with "The Love Boat" and also Romantic Fiction:rolleyes:

Then again there is the "goods are odd" thing, there are single men but not the kinds they expected. There weren't any Brad Pitts or Bradley Coopers hanging about looking for them.

In Alaska, supposedly there are more men than women. A female tour guide explained that..."the odds are good, but the goods are odd".

I'm one of the "odd goods"...I suppose.

I pretty much agree with Thoth. This topic comes up every once in a while, most of the single guys agree it's very hard to meet single women. Because I like to dance, I now travel pretty much only with dance groups,it's so rare to find women who actually can and are willing to dance.

A female tour guide explained that..."the odds are good, but the goods are odd".

I'm one of the "odd goods"...I suppose.

LOL.. this is brillant! And so true of Alaska. (Glacier Bay is one of my favorite places in the world.. note to self must go back)

I pretty much agree with Thoth. This topic comes up every once in a while, most of the single guys agree it's very hard to meet single women. Because I like to dance, I now travel pretty much only with dance groups,it's so rare to find women who actually can and are willing to dance.

Or these women dance with their husbands.

There are variances, no doubt, between types of cruises. If one is looking for single women in their 20's or 30's then shorter cruises to party island destinations might just be one's thing. Cozumel and Cabo San Lucas do attract more younger people than Alaska or New England. The thing is I like Alaska and Canada/New England much more than I do tropical beaches. If one has seen one beach, they have seen them all...pretty much. A t-shirt shop in one tourist trap is just like the next. That's the great thing about Alaska or Canada...there is nature, history, culture. This attracts more mature passengers.

So I would much prefer to sit at dinner with an educated, sophisticated & well traveled grandmother than I would some 25 year old beach Barbie.

Needless to say, I don't cruise in order to "meet chicks".

That's the great thing about Alaska or Canada...there is nature, history, culture. This attracts more mature passengers.

So I would much prefer to sit at dinner with an educated, sophisticated & well traveled grandmother than I would some 25 year old beach Barbie.

Needless to say, I don't cruise in order to "meet chicks".

hey watch who you are calling mature :p

As i have never done a beach cruise .. i cant speak about it. I came over from the UK when i was 3 on a HAL (sorry no accent) then traveled on a ship from England to Finland when i was 10.. then took the Silja Line from Helsinki to Stockholm (in Feburary.. AMAZING) then took my mother to Alaska... (fell in love.. with the place not a man). Then last year did the Glory from NYC to Halifax, Saint John, Portland and Boston)

This year i will be on a beach ..Venice (after a cruise) .. I really want to explore the canals and also the Santa Monica pier.... and SOOOOO looking forward to the train home... as the reviews say that the views are AMAZING!!!!

So while i have no grandchildren and have never been mistaken as a grandmother I do understand what you are saying;)

hey watch who you are calling mature :p

As i have never done a beach cruise .. i cant speak about it. I came over from the UK when i was 3 on a HAL (sorry no accent) then traveled on a ship from England to Finland when i was 10.. then took the Silja Line from Helsinki to Stockholm (in Feburary.. AMAZING) then took my mother to Alaska... (fell in love.. with the place not a man). Then last year did the Glory from NYC to Halifax, Saint John, Portland and Boston)

This year i will be on a beach ..Venice (after a cruise) .. I really want to explore the canals and also the Santa Monica pier.... and SOOOOO looking forward to the train home... as the reviews say that the views are AMAZING!!!!

So while i have no grandchildren and have never been mistaken as a grandmother I do understand what you are saying;)

The point is that I cruise to meet people. Single doesn't always mean attempting to get married. By mature I'm not implying "old". I fancy myself as "mature" at 47 , but many will likely disagree claiming that I'm actually silly for my age.

I lived in the UK for two years while in the military. Lovely place ! As a matter of fact Mum wants us to travel there next year, if the price is right. Here's hoping for a package tour.

In Sept 09 I took that very same New England/Canada cruise you took on the Glory...I was on the Triumph. Leaving from NYC is just so cool...the skyline and landmarks. The Vazanarro Narrows Bridge is the most spectaular bridge that I had not heard about. In Boston I took the Lexington & Concord tour, in Halifax it was the Citadel and Peggy's Cove, Saint John was Fundy National Park, and Portland I took the Mount Washington Cog Railroad tour.

Enjoy your Venice cruise ! Sounds great.

By mature I'm not implying "old". I fancy myself as "mature" at 47 , but many will likely disagree claiming that I'm actually silly for my age. I was teasing some times tone doesnt come across ;)

In Sept 09 I took that very same New England/Canada cruise you took on the Glory...I was on the Triumph. Leaving from NYC is just so cool...the skyline and landmarks. The Vazanarro Narrows Bridge is the most spectaular bridge that I had not heard about. So very true.. it was mazing In Boston I took the Lexington & Concord tour, in Halifax it was the Citadel and Peggy's Cove, Saint John was Fundy National Park, and Portland I took the Mount Washington Cog Railroad tour.

Enjoy your Venice cruise ! Thanks (Im so excited) Sounds great.

Enjoy your cruise to Bermuda :D and Glacier Bay (turning a shade of green)

Enjoy your cruise to Bermuda :D and Glacier Bay (turning a shade of green)

Oh I know you were teasing. The smiley faces give that away.

I started this thread in a light-hearted intention.

Okay so if my next cruise isn't going to like the "Love Boat" at least can i have this romance? ;):p:rolleyes:

(please note that this song is like nails on chalk board for me)

Okay so if my next cruise isn't going to like the "Love Boat" at least can i have this romance? ;):p:rolleyes:

(please note that this song is like nails on chalk board for me)

So you like the movie, but hate the song ?

Perhaps I like the song a little better than the movie, but that song was played to death at the time...was it not ? Once I heard it with gurgling sound effects...like Jack drowning...too much.

The real historical elements of the film were great, but I was nauseated by the romance/sex/soap-opera. No wonder I'm still single !

That film's ended sure prevented some from ever cruising. I've inquired why some will never cruise...and I'm told "Titanic". I'll say ...Come on at least try an Alaska cruise" . They reply..."ice up there=Titanic". Even I can't explain how a ship can sail into Glacier Bay or to Hubbard Glacier while calving and not get sunk by iceberg.

Wayne

So you like the movie, but hate the song ?

Perhaps I like the song a little better than the movie, but that song was played to death at the time...was it not ? Once I heard it with gurgling sound effects...like Jack drowning...too much.

The real historical elements of the film were great, but I was nauseated by the romance/sex/soap-opera. No wonder I'm still single !

That film's ended sure prevented some from ever cruising. I've inquired why some will never cruise...and I'm told "Titanic". I'll say ...Come on at least try an Alaska cruise" . They reply..."ice up there=Titanic". Even I can't explain how a ship can sail into Glacier Bay or to Hubbard Glacier while calving and not get sunk by iceberg.

Wayne

Goodness no! Don't care for the song or the movie. Both are too over the top!

I'm thinking that i might do the Spirit's last cruise to Alaska (prior to her leaving for Oz).. that trip will hit Glacier Bay and though it will go around Vancouver Island on the way the way up... going back down it will go through the inside passage and then drop me off here in Vancouver.

(Im just awaiting vacation time to become available... as im taking 2 1/2 weeks to go to Hawaii earlier in the year... so if i don't Ak... then i will do a Princess to San Fran.. then tour the wine country :D .. but AK would be my first choice)

Archived