Warm Chocolate Melting Cake

dmfriedman

I am desperately hoping someone might be able to get a recipe for Carnival's warm chocolate melting cake -- the one that's now on the alternative menu every night. My girlfriend fell in love with it and now I want to be able to make it for her.

If anyone can help, it'd be greatly appreciated!

I think this is what you want. It is the best! This was on another thread taken directly from the Carnival Cookbook: Enjoy!

CARNIVAL'S FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE

Unsweetened cocoa powder

2 (8-oz.) packages semisweet chocolate squares, coarsely chopped

1/2 cup butter - do not use margarine

5 large eggs, separated

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1/4 cup sugar

Grease a 9-inch springform pan, and dust with unsweetened cocoa powder.

Melt chopped chocolate and butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth.

Whisk together egg yolks and vanilla in a large bowl. Gradually stir in warm chocolate mixture, whisking until well blended.

Beat egg whites at high speed with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until sugar dissolves and stiff peaks form. Fold one-third beaten egg white mixture into chocolate mixture; gently fold in remaining egg white mixture just until blended. Spoon batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly.

Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. (Do not overbake!) Let stand in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes before removing sides of pan

Wonder if the cake is the same as Chocolate Lava Cake??? The Lava cake when cut is filled with soft/liquid chocolate ... one of my hubby's favorites.

I found a recipe with lots of photos of the Chocolate Lava Cake. Hope this helps:

http://www.pastrychef.com/htmlpages/recipes/chocolate_lava_cakes.html

Yes, that does sound like what the OP is after. Also, Walmart now has a mix out called Chocolate volcano cake. It is not w/the regular cake mixes at my store, but rather out in "action alley" along w/other boxed mixes for fudge, magic bars, etc.

That melting chocolate cake was by far my favorite food that I ate while on the Fantasty. My dh didn't order one, and he wound up eating all of mine (minus one bite that I managed to get) So our headwaiter fixed us up with one to-go and we took it back to our stateroom and gobbled it up in a minute. I also asked for mine to be served with vanilla ice cream on the side. YUMMY! I am so happy to hear that it's now on the alternative menu. Guess what I'll be having for dessert every night on the Liberty!

Sorry, that must be something new since we sailed in January. If it's a lava cake you want, there are lots of boxed mixes out there for those now. I think Betty Crocker makes a good one. I call it "Death by Chocolate". But what a way to go!

I am desperately hoping someone might be able to get a recipe for Carnival's warm chocolate melting cake -- the one that's now on the alternative menu every night. My girlfriend fell in love with it and now I want to be able to make it for her.

If anyone can help, it'd be greatly appreciated!

I am so happy to hear that it's now on the alternative menu.

What do you mean by alternative menu?

What is the Alternative Menu?
About a month ago, Carnival decided to start shaking up their menus. Some of the old standards that we're all used to (such as Beef Wellington) are no longer being served. The new menu is a bit more "upscale" and creative, offering more innovative cuisine than what had been offered in the past. In the past, in addition to the items on the menu, many people knew that you could always get a steak, or chicken, or something else (can't remember what -- fish?). Now they've formalized that by offering the "alternative menu" at the bottom of each night's menu. The offerings are almost identical from night to night -- there's always a beef dish, though it might be a minute steak one night, top sirloin the next, and short ribs the next. When it comes to dessert, the same thing happens -- there's a couple unique items each night, and then there are the alternative items, including the lovely new Warm Chocolate Melting Cake. It does look very similar to the Chocolate Lava Cake posted earlier in this thread, although it's served in a ramikin (much like a souffle) -- in fact, in my opinion, it's a cross between a chocolate souffle (that hasn't risen) and a hot chocolate pudding.
You are the best boyfriend!
I'd hardly agree that I'm the best... I just believe in doing nice things for people. If she loved it so much, why wouldn't I want to make her happy by making it for her again? (And no, I'm not in the doghouse... at least not this week!)
So if it's not the flourless cake, and it's not exactly the same as the lava cake, how will you figure out how to make it?
Well, the answer will most likely land me in the doghouse... While she's stuck at work over the holidays, I'm planning to take another cruise. Of course, the sole purpose of that cruise will be to beat the pastry chef into submission until he tells me the recipe for the cake... :)

OK .... I take it all back....you are not the best boyfriend. YOU are going CRUISING .... while SHE is stuck at WORK!!! Shame on You!!!! You better get that recipe quickly and serve it up with a dozen roses and some chocolate covered strawberries.

(Just Kidding)

OH NO!!!! I have just gained ten pounds reading these posts!:eek: And that is a BIG problem! I leave for my cruise on Saturday and now I won't fit into my new dress! I will however be eating that warm melting cake in just a few days.......:)

• 1 month later...

Found the thread while searching for the recipe. Finally gave up and emailed Carnival. They coughed up the recipe! Oops.....it's enough for a ship full of people. If I ever get around to the conversions, I'll post. Maybe someone else will be really ambitious and post them for us. (Or, with the ingredients in hand, there's probably a similar, smaller recipe out there somewhere.) Good luck! Here it is:

MELTING CHOCOLATE CAKE:

80 lb Black chocolate

80 lb Butter

800 ea Eggs

50lb Sugar

30lb Flour

METHOD:

getmsg?&msg=57844D68-FD7C-495A-8D2C-5486CAA9974B&start=0&len=22499&curmbox=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001&a=8f387d9b2a6f14e4a9db572c59c457ca796447521ac9ef19b7495f1b83c30d6e&mimepart=5 Melt the chocolate & butter

getmsg?&msg=57844D68-FD7C-495A-8D2C-5486CAA9974B&start=0&len=22499&curmbox=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001&a=8f387d9b2a6f14e4a9db572c59c457ca796447521ac9ef19b7495f1b83c30d6e&mimepart=5 Mix the eggs & sugar and whisk for few minutes, add the flour

getmsg?&msg=57844D68-FD7C-495A-8D2C-5486CAA9974B&start=0&len=22499&curmbox=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001&a=8f387d9b2a6f14e4a9db572c59c457ca796447521ac9ef19b7495f1b83c30d6e&mimepart=5 Add the egg mix to the melted chocolate and mix

getmsg?&msg=57844D68-FD7C-495A-8D2C-5486CAA9974B&start=0&len=22499&curmbox=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001&a=8f387d9b2a6f14e4a9db572c59c457ca796447521ac9ef19b7495f1b83c30d6e&mimepart=5 Pour the mix in a greased mould.

getmsg?&msg=57844D68-FD7C-495A-8D2C-5486CAA9974B&start=0&len=22499&curmbox=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001&a=8f387d9b2a6f14e4a9db572c59c457ca796447521ac9ef19b7495f1b83c30d6e&mimepart=5 Bake directly in the oven at 200 C° for 14 minutes

Note: - Please make sure that the eggs are at room temperature and chocolate is warm enough while making the mixture

A very, very quick conversion... is anyone able to check my math?

2.5oz dark baking chocolate, grated

2.5oz (about two thirds of a stick) butter

12 eggs (room temperature)

0.8 lbs sugar

0.5 lbs flour

Melt Chocolate in a saucepan at low heat

Whisk room eggs and sugar together in a mixing bowl

Gradually mix egg mixture into chocolate

Pour into greased mould

Bake at 400 Farenheit for 14 minutes

Since I'm not a big chocolate fan, I resisted the chocolate melting cake until late in my last cruise. When I did try it, I wondered if it was intended to be totally liquid on the inside. That's how mine was. It was "OK" but not something I'd order again. I practically had to drink it. Then I read on another thread here that sometimes it's under cooked. If it had been of a pudding texture, I think I would have liked it much better.

They should call it WAY WAY WAY Better than Sex Cake!! LOL I loved it, as well as my husband. Our waiter always brought us the little ice cream on the side... I can't wait until the next cruise for come Melting Cake and my Comfort Bed!!!

Tablemate on our recent Valor cruise really loved the Chocolate Melting Cake. We asked the Maitre d' and he provided them with the recipe which was for 600 (I think) orders. Probably the same one that Carnival sent to marieinsouthfla.

It would be helpful if marieinsouthfla would post the yield of the recipe she posted. A yield of 600 would result in a serving size somewhere around 200 grams (about 7 oz) which seems on the largish size to me.

Based on the original reipe having a yield of 600, scaled for 6 servings its

360 gm black (dark?) chcolate 12.8 oz

360 gm - butter (unsalted?) - 12.8 oz

8 ea - eggs - 8 ea

230 gm - sugar (granulated white?) - 8 oz

140 gm - flour (white all purpose?) - 4.8 oz

I wonder though if the recipe doesn't yield 800. This would certainly make scaling much simpler, at least using metric measures. Single portion would then be:

50 gm black chocolate 1.6 oz

50 gm - butter - 1.6 oz

1 ea - egg - 1 ea

30 gm - sugar - 1 oz

20 gm - flour - 0.7 oz

Which leads to a portion size somewhere around 165 - 175 gm, about 6 oz.

Unless someone has tried it and can save me by posting their recipe I'm just going to have to suffer and try making both reipes.;)

Since I'm not a big chocolate fan, I resisted the chocolate melting cake until late in my last cruise. When I did try it, I wondered if it was intended to be totally liquid on the inside. That's how mine was. It was "OK" but not something I'd order again. I practically had to drink it. Then I read on another thread here that sometimes it's under cooked. If it had been of a pudding texture, I think I would have liked it much better.

On our recent Glory cruise I think I had the chocolate melting cake every night. It varied in doneness. Sometimes is was like you described, my favorite other times is was more done. When more well done it was more fudgy as opposed to melting.

Thanks for the recipe. I think I'll make it for Christmas dinner!

A very, very quick conversion... is anyone able to check my math?

2.5oz dark baking chocolate, grated

2.5oz (about two thirds of a stick) butter

12 eggs (room temperature)

0.8 lbs sugar

0.5 lbs flour

Melt Chocolate in a saucepan at low heat

Whisk room eggs and sugar together in a mixing bowl

Gradually mix egg mixture into chocolate

Pour into greased mould

Bake at 400 Farenheit for 14 minutes

12 eggs? YIKES!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Okay, finally got around to do doing some math. My conversion (check the math......have NOT baked it yet) yields the following recipe:

8 oz. dark chocolate (.5 lb)

8 oz. butter (2 sticks)

5 eggs

5 oz. sugar (5/8 Cup)

3 oz. flour (2/3 Cup)

Pour into greased mold. (Carnival serves it in ramekins.) Bake at 400 F for 12-14 minutes.

The recipe Carnival sent me did not include the yield for their "jumbo" recipe. (As one poster above wondered.) I am guessing (hope it works, please don't flame me if it doesn't) that the above would yield about 8 ramekins, give or take a couple either way. I would also guess that you would fill each ramekin maybe 2/3 full with the batter???

Happy Baking, and the first one to try it, post and let us know how it is!

P.S. It's not in the recipe, but on our cruise, Carnival topped the cake with powdered sugar, and served vanilla ice cream on the side.