Natural Pool, Natural Bridge then Eagle Beach

rg5

Is it possible to take a taxi to these places and go on our own? Or do you need to pay a tour company? We have 6 in our family so tour companies are a bit pricey.

Natural Pool, Natural Bridge then Eagle Beach? Is it possible to take a taxi to these places and go on our own? Or do you need to pay a tour company? We have 6 in our family so tour companies are a bit pricey.

YES, is the quick answer that it would be possible to arrange a taxi or van to do such visits on this fairly small and compact island. BUT for cost, much depends as to what you describe as "a bit pricey"? Much might also depend on whether you are seeking to line up these arrangements in advance or would try to do it near your ship's dock on that day you arrive. If there are many ships/tourists in port that day, the taxi drivers might not be as flexible on the pricing, etc.

Is it worth visiting the Natural Bridge, Eagle Beach and other locations in Aruba? YES!! We super enjoyed seeing these various sights. Need proof? Below are a few of my visuals. You can find more options and ideas at this posting:

"Aruba: Pix's, Fun, Experiences Feb./2015!":

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2262154

We worked out with a taxi driver a reasonable price in the afternoon to take us to Eagle Beach and then come back later to pick us up for the return to the ship. Tell us more on your needs, budget and interests. Good luck!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 40,213 views for these postings.

Our first stop in Aruba was at the site of the "Natural Bridge". The big one collapsed a few years back, but there is still a smaller version. There is lots of drama here as the waves roll in along this barren, but scenic part of the island.:

ArubaA5_zpslgidvtp7.jpg

We covered a wide range of the island, including the residential areas, airport, etc. Then we headed to the California Lighthouse shown below. Plus, also here are a couple of views from that location. This includes just a few of the many, many dessert-style cacti growths that cover this dry island.:

ArubaA11_zpsfkx0m6ry.jpg

ArubaA8_zpsl3zuztls.jpg

ArubaA10_zpsaorlyuyg.jpg

Aruba's Eagle Beach gets high marks as the top beach on this island. Some even mention it as one of the best in the world. We can understand why. It is about six miles long with amazing sand. Busy, but not too crowded. We came back later in the afternoon via a cab to enjoy its fun, people, sights, activities, etc. At one end of the beach, however, are lots of high-rise hotels/housing. Personally, we prefer more of the low-rise, less-busy settings. The varied shades of the blue waters were so great. We had a fun part of the afternoon to be here. BUT, it was hot this day with a very intense sun. Did we enjoy? Yes!:

ArubaA15_zpsvwtg4wre.jpg

ArubaA17_zps6hduyrh9.jpg

Is it possible to take a taxi to these places and go on our own? Or do you need to pay a tour company? We have 6 in our family so tour companies are a bit pricey.

You need a 4 wheel drive to get to the Natural Pool. It is a VERY bumpy ride. The best way to get there is on a guided tour, although some people drive there. You might find a tour that also goes by the bridges, but I'm not sure. Most of the tour companies will only let you book through the ship. If you have a good amount of time in port, you can always take a taxi or a bus to the beach when you are finished.

You need a 4 wheel drive to get to the Natural Pool. It is a VERY bumpy ride. The best way to get there is on a guided tour, although some people drive there. You might find a tour that also goes by the bridges, but I'm not sure. Most of the tour companies will only let you book through the ship. If you have a good amount of time in port, you can always take a taxi or a bus to the beach when you are finished.

I'm replying to my own post. I just re-read your question and saw that you have 6 people. Taxis can only carry 5 people by law. I would try contacting Sonny Binns Tours. He has a small group tour bus that you could join with other people. I'm not sure of the price, but I know that it isn't much. He does not go to the Natural Pool, but gives a great island tour and can possibly drop you off at the beach at the end of the tour. If you would rather not join one of the more expensive, larger tour groups, that may be your best option. if you do a search on this site, you can find a lot of information about his tours. He also has a website. You can google Sonny Binns Tours and find out about him.

Edited by Hatteras51

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check in to all of these. Don't mind spending money on tours but would rather keep it around $50-$60 per person and not $100+ as I've seen on some. Thanks everyone!

Do away with the Natural Pool stop if the price is too expensive.

I agree. You should be able to find a nice tour in your price range if you skip the Natural Pool. That trip would probably take too much of your port time if you are interested in seeing the other places that you mentioned and also want some beach time.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check in to all of these. Don't mind spending money on tours but would rather keep it around $50-$60 per person and not $100+ as I've seen on some. Thanks everyone!

I toured with Sonny Binns two years ago, and it was a great day and very inexpensive, I think it was no more than $35 for a several hour tour (shared van, I think we had 6-8 people), and he can drop you at a beach on the return. Highly recommended.