Cigars in Roatan

biglpn65

• 1 month later...
Anyone buy cigars in Roatan? how are they? how much? how about Cubans????

I would be interested in opinions on where the best place to purchase a box of cigars is? Yaba Ding Ding?

Tnx.

I would be interested in opinions on where the best place to purchase a box of cigars is? Yaba Ding Ding?

Tnx.

I don't remember Yaba Ding Ding having cigars, but then I wasn't looking for them while shopping there.

I do not believe you will find authentic Cuban cigars in Roatan. There is no LCDH (Cuban franchise) shop there. There are none on any of our stops. The only place you will find the real deal is in Cozumel. Stop by the Havana Club in the mall adjacent to the water: http://www.cozumeltravel.com/Restaurants/Havana%20Club/Havana_Club/HavanaClub.htm

They are not an LCDH but have a good reputation for selling the real deal. You do not have to be an LCDH to sell Cuban cigars but when you shop at one you are assured you are getting the real deal.

Nice selection, but pricey! All cigars in Mexico are; high tax!

There is also another shop I might stop at this time; http://www.islacozumel.net/services/cigar_bar/

There is also this one, but I don't know anything about it: http://www.islacozumel.net/shopping/plaza-orbi/cigars.htm

Cigar Dude! Ok, with a name like that, you must have some kind of a recommendation for a Honduran Cigar?:D Anybody else have any Honduran brand/label of cigars that they like?

Here's a few Honduran brands I found on Cigar Aficionado's 2007 Top 25 List:

Cigar Dude! Ok, with a name like that, you must have some kind of a recommendation for a Honduran Cigar?:D Anybody else have any Honduran brand/label of cigars that they like?

Here's a few Honduran brands I found on Cigar Aficionado's 2007 Top 25 List:

Top Honduran for me would be Camacho. The 10th Anniversary is fantastic. The SLR's are great, both natural and maduro. The Corojo is just plain amazing. Camacho makes some great cigars but you can get them anywhere over here so don't even think about looking for them over there.

If you're on the Coz, Belize, Roatan, Freeport cruise, the only stop that you have a snowball's chance of getting any legit Cubans is Cozumel.

I don't smoke but I have a memory etched in my mind of the cigars I saw for sale. It was a street vendor that had a bowl of handmade cigars that looked like cigars I couldn't imagine ever smoking.

They were about 5 inches long and 3 inches wide. They were obviously cigars in a rough state. What I remember is the odd shapes, they weren't wrapped, everyone was handling them and every one was looking and smiling. I wish I would have gotten a picture. The same vendor was selling some kind of alchohol that everyone was grinning over.

Hope you can find him just to see what he's got.

• 4 weeks later...

My husband tried the Cuban and the Dominican from Yaba Ding Ding. Sorry I couldn't be more specific about brands. He thought the Cuban was a little strong, but he loved the Dominican.

I can't bet the ranch, but Yaba Ding Ding seemed reputable.

How do the prices compare when buying the Honduran cigars in Roatan versus purchasing the same cigars in the US? If someone wants to purchase a few as gifts for cigar smokers back home, it is worth doing?

• 2 weeks later...
How do the prices compare when buying the Honduran cigars in Roatan versus purchasing the same cigars in the US? If someone wants to purchase a few as gifts for cigar smokers back home, it is worth doing?

I'll try to let you know. We'll be there in early September. I'm curious myself.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a cigar shop right by the pier. You exit the pier area and turn right. It is on the second story of a building on the left hand side. It is right above the pharmacy. The store is managed by an American ex-pat who lives on the island. There is a bar and a walk in humidor with a large selection of various priced cigars. There were Cubans as well as other brands. They were organized by better to good. And the price reflects that. There are also binders available explaining the different Cuban cigars and what to look for. I don't smoke cigars, wound up there because of the view and the beer. But spent quite a bit of time talking to the manager and his visiting family.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Some else in this thread asked about prices on Honduran cigars. No answer posted yet. My nephew likes Honduran cigars and would like for me to purchase some for him, but only if it is a savings. If anyone has bought any recently and remembers prices, would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks Bill

We went to Yaba Ding Dong on our cruise a couple of weeks ago. My husband purchased 3 Cubans and 1 Honduran cigar. He said the ones he bought were $12.50 for the Cubans and $4.50 for the Honduran cigars. They had more Cubans more expensive then the $12.50 also. He said they were all very good.

Not sure where the shop was. Our Victor Bodden tour guide took us there. The store is really nice overall. They were really busy with locals and cruisers.

Thanks purplehaze. Have been to Roatan several years ago and went to Yabbas but at the time they were quite small and did not sell cigars. Bought some cigars on the street that were obviously locally wrapped and my nephew said they were terrible. Am looking forward to our cruise and trying to gather as much info. in advance as I can. Thanks again. Bill

• 7 years later...

The cigars that are rolled inside the complex are the best cigars that you'll get during your cruise. I have purchased hundreds of the Moncada hand rolled cigars while in Honduras and would highly recommend them to anyone. You will not be disappointed.

I'll be checking out Yaba Ding Ding. I found the address, but is it close to the dock? Was it hard to find?

Where is it in relationship to where the ship docks?

Are you on Carnival again? Yaba Ding Ding is in an alley way next to the grocery store in Coxen Hole. I don't think they have shops at either of the pier but may be wrong. DW bought some handrolled cigars from the guy in the open front shops in Mahogany Bay(where Carnival docks) for our middle son. He said he enjoyed them. They looked well constructed to me, like they'd have a good draw but not burn too fast (used to work in a pipe/cigar store and learned about all this stuff many years ago). I've seen him hand roll before and reminded me of some of the Tampa rollers I've seen.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...