Lycabettus Hill

jstducky

I am interested in taking the funicular to the top of Lycabettus Hill in Athens and visiting the church at the top of the Hill and also getting a panoramic view of the city.

1) How do I get to Lycabettus Hill from the Plaka, or perhaps Syntagma Square area?

a. Is there public transportation? If so, what metro line or bus would I take?

b. If there is no public transporation, how much would a taxi cost? What do I tell the taxi driver, or will they know?

2) To get from Lycabettus Hill back to the Plaka, near the Monistiraki Metro stop, do I need to take a taxi? Do I just tell the taxi drive to take me back to the Metro station?

3) What is the cost of the funicular to get to the top of the hill?

Thanks!

1.a. The bus stop at the foot of the hill and then you should take the funicular... not suggest because the route has traffic and the buses need much time for go there..

1.b. You can take a taxi from Syntagma and will cost you 7-10 euros.. to taxi driver you must say LICAVITOS

LI like lee

CA like capture

VI like virtual

TOS like tos :D

2. yes, if you can't find a taxi up there ask from a shop (cafe or restaurant) call a taxi for you... you will pay 5-6 euros more because of call (12-15 euros total)

3. 6 euros (last April)

Thank you!! And thank for telling me how to pronounce it!

Is the church at the top of the hill nice?

Is the cost, and time spent trying to get there, to see the view and the church worth the time?

This is my second trip to Athens, so I've seen the Acropolis and the Plaka and the Agora and the Temple of Olympian Zeus and the Olympic Stadium, etc. before. Although I am planning on doing the Acropolis and Plaka again this time.

Thank you!! And thank for telling me how to pronounce it!

Is the church at the top of the hill nice?

Is the cost, and time spent trying to get there, to see the view and the church worth the time?

This is my second trip to Athens, so I've seen the Acropolis and the Plaka and the Agora and the Temple of Olympian Zeus and the Olympic Stadium, etc. before. Although I am planning on doing the Acropolis and Plaka again this time.

Is a Greek traditional church like these in Mykonos or any Cyclades island... I have go on Licavitos many times but only night for dinner or to see concerts... the view is excellent but the shops are expensive (for Greeks)..

if you don't have go to National museum you must doing this time...

Is a Greek traditional church like these in Mykonos or any Cyclades island... I have go on Licavitos many times but only night for dinner or to see concerts... the view is excellent but the shops are expensive (for Greeks)..

if you don't have go to National museum you must doing this time...

Yes, I completely agree. Can't wait to get back to the museum and spend more time there next year!!

Fafos: if you take a taxi to Lycabettus, will it take you to the parking area close to the top of the hill for the prices that you mentioned, so that you don't have to pay for the funicular as well?

When we went, we walked up (had not intended to, but we walked over from the Archaeological Museum and arrived at the other side of the hill from the funicular, and instead of walking around the hill to the funicular, we walked up to the top.)

We walked back down (a lot easier than up!) and then a few blocks downhill to Evangelismo metro stop, transferred at Monastiraki and back to Piraeus.

Fafos: if you take a taxi to Lycabettus, will it take you to the parking area close to the top of the hill for the prices that you mentioned, so that you don't have to pay for the funicular as well?

When we went, we walked up (had not intended to, but we walked over from the Archaeological Museum and arrived at the other side of the hill from the funicular, and instead of walking around the hill to the funicular, we walked up to the top.)

We walked back down (a lot easier than up!) and then a few blocks downhill to Evangelismo metro stop, transferred at Monastiraki and back to Piraeus.

Yes, they take you to the parking area... personal I pay 10 euros from my home (close to National museum and Victoria's square) but is much away than Syntagma square...

I'm a very lazy man... I don't like walk so much:p

Yes, they take you to the parking area... personal I pay 10 euros from my home (close to National museum and Victoria's square) but is much away than Syntagma square...

I'm a very lazy man... I don't like walk so much:p

A taxi sounds like a good option...easy and a reasonable price.:)

Thanks for the clarification.

What would I tell the taxi driver if I wanted them to take me to the funicular? How much would that cost?

Is the funicular ride long? Is it a good way to be able to look out on the city?

Is the funicular ride long? Is it a good way to be able to look out on the city?

I think the funicular runs underground & Fafos will be able to verify this (we didn't see it when we walked down the path near the funicular route) ... here's a photo: http://www.etema.gr/english/funicular.htm

I've read that it goes about every 20 minutes...so probably a ride of a few minutes and then loading/unloading time at each end.

The views at the top are wonderful (with clear skies).

I don't know if the funicular starts right where the taxi drops you off or if there is a climb up to the funicular...Fafos, can you please comment on this?

I know that if the taxi drops you off in the parking lot near the top, there is still a fairly steep hike up to the top that will take 5 minutes or so.

Susan and Fafos! You guys are wonderful. If indeed the funicular is underground,then there is no point in taking the funicular and I might as well take a taxi over to the parking area and hike the rest of the way up.

Susan - you said you walked, was it a long walk? I'm assuming that since the hill is high and recongnizable that you just walked in the direction of it without really needing directions?

Yes ... we just kept walking towards it, but I think if I had known how long of a walk it would be, we would have gone via taxi or metro. (I think it was an hour from the museum to the top...and that was after 7 hours of already being on our feet). We slept well that night!

It is recognizable, but as you walk towards it, the buildings on the streets that you walk on block your view, so you have to reorient at the corners where you can see the hill. The only time we had to ask for directions was when we got to the base of it, when we were looking for the funicular. The person we asked (a policeman) told us that we might as well hike up since the funicular was on the other side of the hill. The path that we took up was a little rough, but coming down, we were on a wide paved path with stairs and a gradual descent as it zig-zagged. From there it was a downhill walk to the metro at Evangelismo.

I think that taking a taxi up to the parking area and either walking or taking the funicular down, and then walking to Evangelismo metro would be a good way to do it.

p.s. On our port day (when we did Lycabettus) we didn't have a very good map ... on the next visit (a pre-cruise stay) we had DK Eyewitness Top 10 which has a good map ... but the one we got from our hotel (and that you can probably get from a TI office) was even better.

Edited by Susan-M

• 11 months later...

am arranging a private day tour of Athens - and we have 12 people which would fill a small minibus - the tour operator has told me that if I go to the larger mini-bus, the driver will not be able to get up to Lycabettus hill and will let us off near the path to walk up ---

So, I assume the 12 seater mini-bus can still make it to the top - how bad, far of a walk is it from where they would leave us off by the path? Since we will be walking alot and also have "climbed" to see the Acropolis - should I risk enlarging the group?

Carol

Hi Carol:)

I would recommend sticking with a vehicle that can get up to the parking area near the top (there's still a bit of a hike up from there.)

It sounds as if with a larger vehicle, he will leave you at the path where you can either walk up or take the funicular (funicular and paved walking path/steps are together, and on the other side of the hill from where the road is to drive up to the parking lot.)

We walked up one side (road side) on basically a hiking path, and down the other (funicular side) on the paved path. From what I remember, there are still some steps from the road where he would drop you off up to the funicular, so it's not a matter of getting out of the car and being right at the funicular. The funicular cost is ~6 euros now, and it runs inside (no view).

If some people didn't want to walk up or take the funicular up, there's not much to do while waiting in that area. You could arrange to have the driver meet you back at the base at a certain time, while those who don't want to walk up or take the funicular go somewhere else with the driver for a while. That's why I think it would be easier to organize if you can go in a vehicle that would take you to the parking area up top.

On a side note, and OT, after giving a lot of thought to the Asia trip, we're going to do a DIY trip for 3 weeks to Hong Kong, Vietnam & Cambodia this November. Looking forward to it ... & hope you enjoy your AMA trip!!

Thanks Susan - I don't understand all these paths, etc.....apparently we can take the funicular up (he doesn't recommend - 1/2 hour between runs) --- or be let off by the path -----

I have to see if the van can get to the parking lot - that would be better probably.....

We are doing 3 weeks in Vietnam and Cambodia, only 7 days is a river cruise - Michelle and Robert from your Azamara cruise a few years ago are joining us, it will be fun to travel together again!

Carol

Hi Carol,

Sorry, I didn't explain the paths very well.

One side of the hill = choice of funicular or a strenuous hike on a paved path/steps from bottom to top.

The other side = road to parking area. The parking area is about 3/4's of the way up, with a paved walkway the rest of the way.

It may be that both large and small vans can get to the parking area, but a smaller van might be able to go even higher on a service road. I wonder if this is what he meant by getting you to the path vs. the top, because I don't think he would suggest the walking path on the other side that goes the whole way up.

Michelle had told me what a great time you had together on a previous trip ... the Asia trip should be a blast!:)

thanks Susan, for explaining the paths - I guess with never being there, all the "paths" sound the same! He said the driver would leave us at the parking area and it is a 5-10 minute walk, depending on your "stamina" _I guess it is a little steep, to the top.....

We'll go with the 18 seater minibus versus the 12 seater van - little more spacious and middle aisle, so no one has to climb over someone else - I like the 2-2 configuration better than the 3 across.....

Michelle and I were originally booked for November for Asia, but I changed it to February and tacked on days, so she followed along....and leave some of the cold behind in the dead of winter!

Let me know how your trip was when you get back, we can start drooling!:D

Carol

• 4 years later...