Price drop

jacknlinda

We booked the Sun in February. Got a partially obstructed oceanview cabin. Today I noticed that the price had dropped by approximately $150 PP. When my travel agent called NCL she was told that if we went with the new price, then our deposit would be lost because we were within a certain cancellation period. My agent said that this was not acceptable and so we were to receive a $75 on board credit. So instead of saving $300 we are saving $75. Has anyone else had this problem with NCL. We've never sailed with them before. This has already changed our opinion of them.:confused:

We sail October 11. And we have made our final payment. I know on other cruise lines I've been able to rebook with no penalty if the price is lowered. Let's hope this is the only problem we encounter. We are pretty easy going people.

We sail October 11. And we have made our final payment. I know on other cruise lines I've been able to rebook with no penalty if the price is lowered. Let's hope this is the only problem we encounter. We are pretty easy going people.

That is not in your NCL contract. Before final payment, absolutely. However, after final payment is when they sometimes have to lower the fare to fill the ship (or increase the fare if it's fairly full - you wouldn't want them to charge you more if that was the case, I asssume).

Unfortunately, if you have made your final payment then you can't re-book without losing your deposit. You are lucky that you are getting onboard credit. After your final payment date, generally NCL will give you 25% of the price difference in OBC. It's just part of them ensuring that if prices really drop, in order to fill a sailing, they don't lose too much money on it.

My final payment is Aug 28 with a cruise date of Oct 27. There is a price drop but I am wondering if you lose your present cabin and they rebook you. That happened to me once on NCL but I never knew why. We want to keep our present cabin. The present reservation is a normal booking with no incentives or OBC attached.

Here is the cancellation fee schedule for NCL.

http://www.ncl.com/about/cancellation-fee-schedule

What other cruise lines let you rebook after final payment with no penalty? How long ago was that? I know Carnival has some early saver prices, but I am told those have strings attached (for me the biggest string is that Carnival is not my favorite line by a long shot...).

You are lucky to get the OBC. You should stop watching the price of your own category and start watching the prices of better cabins. If price of a better cabin drops, you might be able to ask (via TA) if you can upgrade for low price or free.

You should not lose your cabin. They literally copy the reservation over with the new price. I would definitely recommend giving them a call and taking advantage of it, while the new price is up.

My final payment is Aug 28 with a cruise date of Oct 27. There is a price drop but I am wondering if you lose your present cabin and they rebook you. That happened to me once on NCL but I never knew why. We want to keep our present cabin. The present reservation is a normal booking with no incentives or OBC attached.

Call and ask if you can get the new price without losing your cabin number. You probably can.

Why did it happen before? Hard to know, but I will take a guess. Well, if it was a gty booking, one would lose their assigned cabin number if they put in for a price drop. Or if the price drop was for a different category (say the great new price is for BC balcony vs a BB or BD).

Call and ask if you can get the new price without losing your cabin number. You probably can.

Why did it happen before? Hard to know, but I will take a guess. Well, if it was a gty booking, one would lose their assigned cabin number if they put in for a price drop. Or if the price drop was for a different category (say the great new price is for BC balcony vs a BB or BD).

None of the above. We found out when we boarded the ship and our cabins (friends) were not together as they had been. NCL people on the ship could not explain it. But there had been a price drop which both parties received.

Edited by Bulldog3777

My TA just talked to NCL and they said they cancel and rebook and you would probably lose that cabin. With another couple so not worth the $60 lose side by side cabins.

Though $60 is not a big deal, the story is somewhat a stretch. Somebody would have to book that cabin within the 5-10 minutes it would be available. You could also go online to see if similar close by cabins are also available.

Again, for $60 - probably not worth it.

By the way, in the states, you can cancel and get your full deposit back before final payment is due.

I saw the pride drop, $160 for me, I email me PCC and he told he I had to call customer relations, when I asked why he said, he could not help me because a different PCC booked the cruise, this doesn't make sense.

I am 62 day out and have made the final payment, so I need to call NCL tomorrow and find out what is happening.

Though $60 is not a big deal, the story is somewhat a stretch. Somebody would have to book that cabin within the 5-10 minutes it would be available. You could also go online to see if similar close by cabins are also available.

Again, for $60 - probably not worth it.

By the way, in the states, you can cancel and get your full deposit back before final payment is due.

We just scored a $360 price drop off of our angled hump spa balcony cabin. My TA kept me on the line while she secured the price drop and explained that you actually have to cancel and rebook at the lower price. She scared the wits out of me when she said "ok, your price drop went through, all I have to do now is wait approximately 15 minutes for the NCL computers to refresh and then go back in and grab your room again for you." We really want the extra balcony space on that angled balcony and would have been bummed if someone else grabbed it before she tied it back to us. My guess is that must be what happened to the poster who lost their original cabin.

Sounds like a lazy TA or PCC. My TA never told me about a risk of losing the cabin no matter how many times a price drop adjustment was made.

Definitely not a lazy TA. She has worked hard for us for many years. You can see from post 17 how it works.

We had no problem for a couple of years. Then both parties/cabins go a price drop and we both lost our cabins. I would say most of the time you are OK but you have to be prepared for exception.

If you BOTH lost your original cabins, while the possibility certainly exists that both cabins were grabbed by other pax in the 15 minutes they were floating in cyberspace while the NCL system updated, I do have to wonder if the TA either forgot to go back in and grab your cabins or if he/she waited too long to do it (maybe got tied up with another customer and didn't do it for a few hours).

Regardless, whether your TA dropped the ball and waited too long to grab them or other pax were watching for those rooms and snatched them up quickly, you are correct that there is at least the possibility to lose your original cabin during the price drop process and people should be aware of that. When my TA mentioned she had to wait for the system to refresh before she could retie our cabin to our booking I asked her if we had a chance to lose it during the process. Her answer was not to worry about it because it was unlikely and rarely happens. But guess what, rarely is still a possibility! So, if you are a person that is especially Jonesing for a particular cabin and would be devastated to lose it, be fair warned that it COULD happen during a price drop. Unlikely, but it could. If that's the case, I would just be especially diligent to let your TA know how important it is to you so they are sure to act quickly on your behalf.

My TA called me while she had NCL on the phone to tell me that they could not guarantee I would keep the same cabin. She wanted to know if I was willing to take the chance. I said no because the couple we travel with wanted to be next to us. All the available cabins were on the same deck, other side. If it had been a couple of hundred, I would have gambled.

Well, the price drop went to $180 this morning and I decided to go for it. Sure enough, lost my cabin and the couple next to us lost theirs also. My TA was able to get us two cabins side by side on the other side of the ship. So all worked out.

Unfortunately, if you have made your final payment then you can't re-book without losing your deposit. You are lucky that you are getting onboard credit. After your final payment date, generally NCL will give you 25% of the price difference in OBC. It's just part of them ensuring that if prices really drop, in order to fill a sailing, they don't lose too much money on it.

Completely agree.