Barbados Immigration & Customs Procedure

Tayscot

I've always been impressed at the organisation on P & O Caribbean Cruises as to embarkation at Bridgetown. Being able to be transported straight from the plane to the ship is excellent but it is a bit strange that Barbados entry procedures don't take place until the day you are eventually leaving when you arrive back in Bridgetown. This means being able to enter the Country and move around with no checks. With the cruises back to a two week round trip the above is the current situation but for a few years when the two week holiday consisted of two separate week loops there was the bizarre situation of arriving back in Bridgetown and being able to go ashore for the day and still not have to go through Immigration procedures for another week, just before departure. It would seem strange to live in a country where entry is so easy an seemingly uncontrolled. Wait, hang on a minute we do !!

That is because Carnival Corporation are obliged to send a complete list of passengers and passport details to the Barbados authorities at least 24 hours before departure from the UK.

If there are any changes to the list on departure then they are again informed of these changes. It then gives the Barbados immigration staff time to carry out all necessary checks on the passengers and if they need to examine any of these the aircraft is informed prior to arrival and the passenger is asked to remain on the aircraft to be interviewed.

I hope that clarifies the situation.

That is because Carnival Corporation are obliged to send a complete list of passengers and passport details to the Barbados authorities at least 24 hours before departure from the UK.

If there are any changes to the list on departure then they are again informed of these changes. It then gives the Barbados immigration staff time to carry out all necessary checks on the passengers and if they need to examine any of these the aircraft is informed prior to arrival and the passenger is asked to remain on the aircraft to be interviewed.

Thanks you have indeed answered the 'questions'.

APIS is used for all arriving planes and vessels, but I also think cruise passengers are seen as low risk, so this is why it might seem lapse.

On another note one of the hardest times we are given by customs is on arrival to Kingston, Jamaica - they can be quite ruthless on what you have in your luggage, considering its a major gun and drugs capital, it makes me laugh.

And don't get me started on the state of UK border control. Grrrrr!!

Edited by richleeds

APIS is used for all arriving planes and vessels, but I also think cruise passengers are seen as low risk, so this is why it might seem lapse.

On another note one of the hardest times we are given by customs is on arrival to Kingston, Jamaica - they can be quite ruthless on what you have in your luggage, considering its a major gun and drugs capital, it makes me laugh.

And don't get me started on the state of UK border control. Grrrrr!!

Border Control? - Is that now an Oximoron?

Flown to Barbados a few times with Fred Olsen and being smaller ships the passenger turnaround is done in one day.

Immigration visit the ship the last day as we have returned to Barbados.

With P&O's turnaround being over two days do both sets of passengers see immigration on the Friday or is that spread over the two Days?

Not really a problem, just curious.

Rick.

Flown to Barbados a few times with Fred Olsen and being smaller ships the passenger turnaround is done in one day.

Immigration visit the ship the last day as we have returned to Barbados.

With P&O's turnaround being over two days do both sets of passengers see immigration on the Friday or is that spread over the two Days?

Not really a problem, just curious.

Rick.

One day, as the ship arrives in port.

Cb