Bermuda - Good for gays or not???

Tinman37

Hi

My partner and I are sailing on the NCL Breakaway from New York to Bermuda on the 14th of Sept 2014.

We were wondering if any past cruisers had any tips or advice as to what to do or what to see while in Bermuda. Must see tourist sights, bars, clubs etc.

We have read many reviews on the web about Bermuda which give very mixed opinions about how friendly the island is for LGBT members and the lack of gay bars and clubs etc.

I visited the Island many many years ago and never had any problems but that was when I worked on a cruise ship for celebrity cruise and was a little oblivious to many things.

Any help, tips, or advice for 2 british boys hoping for a fun vacation would be greatly appreciated.

;)X

My wife and I never had a problem for the three days we were in Bermuda via the Breakaway as well. We never engage in PDA so maybe that's why. At any rate, buy the bus/ferry pass for two days if your docking there for three. During the first two days visit Hamilton and St. George using the bus or ferry, and on the third day tour the museum and beach that right by the dock. I highly recommend Horseshoe Bay Beach which you can travel to by bus. It's worth the ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi

thanks for the reply and the tips, definitely sounds like a great idea buying the bus/ferry pass and we really looking forward to going to Horseshoe Bay and having a day chilling on the beach.

Glad to hear you had no issue while in Bermuda, I have read a few reviews online and its all very mixed so its always good to hear some positive feed back.

Were really looking to cruising on the Breakaway , the ship looks amazing.

Again thanks for the advice and here's to a great cruise.

I've cruised to Bermuda at least 20 times in the past 30 or so years. The last 10 times with my hubby. We LOVE Bermuda! It's clean, fairly affluent, picturesque, people are a delight, the beaches wonderful, transportation great! We're not into PDA no matter where we are, so that's never been an issue for us. I'm not aware of any gay clubs or bars on the island, but there's not a lot of night life in Bermuda to begin with. Evenings, a better time is spent on the ship, or if you're docked at Kings Wharf, there are a few spots to go out to for an "adult beverage" with folks you've met on the ship. We've always met folks at the LGBT get togethers and had a great time with them as well as other passengers on all of our Bermuda cruises. We're planning on going next year (2015) on X's "Summit", our last was 2 yrs ago on HAL's "Veendam". Having sailed all of them, if I were going this year, our 1st choice would be X's "Summit". Go.....I think you will enjoy it!

I've been sailing to Bermuda since the 1970's(Home Lines & HAL), Now Celebrity & Oceania. The best is to dock in Hamilton unfortunately since your ship is too large to do that.

After 30+ cruises Bermuda remains an all time favorite port. I actually prefer it to the Caribbean islands where the religious, racial & drug cultures are quite evident & have caused all types of issues - the worst being Jamaica & Nassau/Bahamas.

Unfortunately the weather in Bermuda is colder October - April when we like to escape the NE winters here in NYC.

My partner & I have been back several times & he too enjoys the cruise(most were 7 day trips w/ 3.5 days in Hamilton or 2.5 days in Hamilton & 1 day in St George - sailing out of NYC!

We have always rented mopeds to get around the island during the day. Its fun & you get to see so much more...the beaches are spectacular & Hamilton & ST George great places to spend the day & shop & eat out. The people are quite welcoming & the architecture interesting.

The Hamilton Princess is lovely & worth a visit for lunch or dinner. In Hamilton there are plenty of, shops, pubs & restaurants.

BTW - back in 1981 or so I dated the Tourism rep for HAL - he was Bermudian & delish!

Enjoy Bermuda...it's wonderful.

Thanks for all the replies and advice.

We're really looking forward to the cruise and spending some time exploring Bermuda.

We're also a non PDA couple so going by all the feed back from everyone it sounds like all will be cool.

We're counting down the days to enjoying a great vacation.

Thanks to all our fellow cruisers on here for sharing all your experiences.:)

My better half and I sailed to Bermuda on Celebrity as part of a B2B and enjoyed it very much. We did a lot of activities on foot - purchased the 3-day bus and ferry pass so we could go to Hamilton and St. Georges. The little train that stops by to pick up passengers is worthless IMHO - as it would always stop at the NCL ship first and there was no room for Celebrity guests to board. Still, it's a nice walk around the waterfront to the other side where you can catch the ferry, bus or shop / eat.

We noticed other "family" on the island and were treated pretty well for the most part. The only exception was the day area next door, where you can rent snorkel equipment, jet skis or lounges to lay in the sun. You will notice this area, as you walk through gates and through a short tunnel to get to the beach area. They were passing out brochures for a beach party at night (locals). The guys passing out the brochures seemed skanky to us and kept saying, "Come to see the pretty ladies in bikinis and drink with us" and when we passed by, they said something snide about us and laughed at each other. We didn't go, not really into to drinking all-night and party scene and didn't feel safe there.

If you guys like to jet ski, there are rentals inside the beach access area mentioned above, but after looking at the shape they were in and the cost, we decided to rent jet skis from another vendor - where you board the ferry. There is a kiosk there which will sell you 1-hour jet ski tours. We had a blast, very much enjoyed this and one of the best jet ski tours we've taken! Visited the underground caves too (took the ferry / bus) which was a private tour, or non-ship sponsored. We also hiked up to the "Unfinished Church" which was cool. You can rent mopeds to buzz around the island too, but there have been reported accidents and though we're adventurous, didn't want to risk a broken leg for the rest of our journey, so opted out of the scooter rentals. Still, everything we did, we could do on our own and had a great time.

Make sure you try a "Dark and Stormy" (Ginger beer and rum) yum! The island is known for their "Rum Swizzle" drink too, which is pretty potent.

Hope you guys have a great time!

Edited by Mermen

will be going solo on the breakaway 8/24. It would be nice to meet other glbt folks but i'm ok if I don't. I guess PDA won't be a problem for me, since I'd be holding my own hand!

Lipz, you mentioned a beach near the dock. what beach is that? I did a bermuda NCL cruise last Oct. and we didn't hear of any beach near the dock. Is it nice? we went to horseshoe, elbow and I forget the last beach! Would be nice to go to one near the boat for the last day...diane

will be going solo on the breakaway 8/24. It would be nice to meet other glbt folks but i'm ok if I don't. I guess PDA won't be a problem for me, since I'd be holding my own hand!

Lipz, you mentioned a beach near the dock. what beach is that? I did a bermuda NCL cruise last Oct. and we didn't hear of any beach near the dock. Is it nice? we went to horseshoe, elbow and I forget the last beach! Would be nice to go to one near the boat for the last day...diane

Hi,

The beach area at the dockyard is called Snorkel Park. It's nothing fancy, just a place to lay out in the sun and grab lunch if you don't feel like eating on the ship. We noticed some water toy rentals, chairs and umbrellas but we really didn't partake nor stay very long. The one really good thing we found there was massage services. Way cheaper than on the ship and much more relaxing according to my wife. She loved it and said the masseuse was really nice. Here's the website, which of course makes it look a little more inviting than it was lol. Overall it was a nice thing to do for the last day, very relaxing:

http://www.snorkelparkbeach.com

Thanks so much Lipz, esp. for including the website. I think i'll try it, probably last day in Bermuda. Did you 2 have a favorite beach?

We only did Horseshoe Bay, Tobacco Bay and Snorkel Park. To be honest Tobacco Bay was a waste of time but because we kind of got lost going, it was fun because we got to see Bermuda neighborhoods that we may not have seen otherwise.

Horseshoe Bay was my favorite. I was thinking of trying Elbow beach when we go in two weeks but since this is our annual group cruise I don't want to take my group to a place I've never been myself.

Thanks again. I will skip tobacco bay. I did like horseshoe and I can help you:). we went to elbow beach and really liked it. Some people said it might be crowded. I don't know as we went in oct. but we really liked it a lot. which date are you going? I am going 8/24.

Thanks again. I will skip tobacco bay. I did like horseshoe and I can help you:). we went to elbow beach and really liked it. Some people said it might be crowded. I don't know as we went in oct. but we really liked it a lot. which date are you going? I am going 8/24.

I hear that Horseshoe Bay gets packed too. We went in May so the beach had lots of empty spots. It was to chilly for me so I didn't swim but we enjoyed our time there. Which beach did you like best between the two, Elbow and Horseshoe Bay and why? We are cruising August 14th on the Explorer of the Seas. We'll be in Bermuda on that Saturday August 18th.

I'm going on the breakaway the 24th. Between elbow and Horseshoe- they are different. Overall, I live horseshoe better b/c of all the little coves made from the rocks. I was there in Oct. so neither beach was crowded. At Horseshoe they have beach chairs and stuff to rent (which we didn't). I'm figuring if it gets too crowded, just walk to the left (I think, you'll see) and you will come to areas less crowded. I liked elbow but it didn't have the little coves and no food..which was ok. They were different but if I had to choose one, it'd be horseshoe. I am going to do horshoe and the one you mentioned, snorkel park and now have to find 3rd beach. Want something nice for swimming and pretty. I think i'll skip elbow this year. Have a great time.

The beach at Snorkel Park is a small little beach that is pretty much only worth visiting when your time is limited and you don't want to leave the Dockyard, e.g., the morning of an early afternoon departure, or late in the day when you've returned from whatever else you've been doing around the island and want to go for a short swim. We brought our snorkel gear over and it was pleasant, but certainly no substitute for the more beautiful beaches elsewhere on the island.

Do have a meal at the Swizzle Inn -- a Bailey's Bay fish sandwich and a pitcher of Rum Swizzle. YUM!!!!!!!

GemCruiseOct2011703.jpg

(Snorkel Park beach, by turtles06)

GemCruiseOct2011606.jpg

(Swizzle Inn, by turtles06)

If you're interested in snorkeling, look for the Church Bay bus stop on the pink line, I believe. It's on the way to Horseshoe Bay. It's a small, secluded beach tucked away. There might be a handful of people, at most. You will need to bring your own equipment, and you will notice every other beach goer has snorkel gear, as well. Unbelievable reefs! Brightly colored fish! It is like swimming in an aquarium! It's a highlight of my last trip there!

thanks turtles,

I think i'll go to snorkel park depending on what time we need to be at the boat the last day. any other beaches besides elbow and horseshoe you can recommend?

Here a site I used when I was researching Bermuda last year before my Breakaway

sailing. Click on the circled numbers for more information about each beach.

http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_000005.htm

thanks turtles,

I think i'll go to snorkel park depending on what time we need to be at the boat the last day. any other beaches besides elbow and horseshoe you can recommend?

I see recommendations above for snorkeling at Church Bay. We did go there as well; just keep in mind that the waters can be very rough. They were the day we were there and it just wasn't comfortable for snorkeling, we were getting tossed into huge rocks.

As I said re Snorkel Park, only go there if/when you don't have time for another beach.

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/bermuda/749188#sthash.MEp7uxGt.dpbs

• 2 weeks later...

I know it was 3 years ago, but our first Pied Piper cruise was to Bermuda and it cause a bit of a stir in the local press

Fortunately, everything turned out all right and we all had fun in the drag bar.

But there is still some discrimination towards the LGBT community so be careful with the PDAs

2011.6_01.jpg.319f8431174f52a3841f6bc47ddf1301.jpg

2011.6_03.jpg.3ee0c851ab679eebc49ebfde82a794d9.jpg