Disabled Daughter and Adventure Ocean Program

Obx_1974

We are taking our 9 year old daughter on the Allure for her first cruise. My wife and I have both cruised but this is first time with our children.

My 9 yo uses a wheelchair for long distance but can walk with a walker shorter distances. She is cognitively around 3-4 years old but is VERY active, loves to play and interact with other children. We are in the midst of potty training but not quite there yet.

Would like her to experience and participate in as many activities as possible including the Adventure Ocean program.

Will the AO program accommodate my daughter's disabilities?

Any information or advice is much appreciated! I want to make this trip as enjoyable as possible for everyone.

Mike

We are taking our 9 year old daughter on the Allure for her first cruise. My wife and I have both cruised but this is first time with our children.

My 9 yo uses a wheelchair for long distance but can walk with a walker shorter distances. She is cognitively around 3-4 years old but is VERY active, loves to play and interact with other children. We are in the midst of potty training but not quite there yet.

Would like her to experience and participate in as many activities as possible including the Adventure Ocean program.

Any information or advice is much appreciated! I want to make this trip as enjoyable as possible for everyone.

Mike

I would check with Royal Caribbean (possibly special services) to see what accommodations they will be able to make. I don't know if they would allow her to participate with a younger group or how it would all work.

The one thing I would not expect them to accommodate is if she is not fully potty trained on board. They are very clear that they won't even help in the bathroom (pants up/down, etc).

Allure is a wonderful ship and I'm sure you will all have a wonderful time!

Get the contact info for the Special Needs department. and contact them as far ahead as possible to make arrangements. They will allow her to age down, they will make allowances for potty issues, they will do everything they can for her to access the program.

Have a great time!

Best,

Mia

Get the contact info for the Special Needs department. and contact them as far ahead as possible to make arrangements. They will allow her to age down' date=' they will make allowances for potty issues, they will do everything they can for her to access the program.

Have a great time!

Best,

Mia[/quote']

This is the correct answer. They will accommodate her, including the potty issue. Only issue will be if she is not trained by the cruise, she will not be allowed in the pools.

Mike

Here is a link to the information you need on the cruise line website.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/home.do

Children with disabilities is under "Other Needs". They will absolutely let your child age down if needed and they will waive the potty trained requirement. They will also provide you with a pager so you can be notified if there is an issue.

Thanks for the great information. I'm excited to hear that they will accommodate her specific needs and that they will make exceptions for the potty. I wouldn't expect the staff to help with toileting, so the pager will be great!

I'm not planning on having her go to AO for long periods of time (I'm protective) but I do want her to experience as much as she can just like any other kid would be able to on the ship. She is a social butterfly and loves to get right in there with other kids.

I realize she won't be able to use the pool, it makes sense. So I'm planning on beach days for our excursions. She loves the beach, she has a picture of herself on the beach in NC from a previous trip and carries it around the house pointing at it. She is excited!

I've emailed the special needs department and now waiting for a reply.

Thanks again,

Mike