All-inclusive Offerings Expanding?

jpalbny

Looks like SS may be moving further in the all-inclusive direction... I am sure that there are mixed feelings about this! So, this e-mail that I received today from SS is intriguing. Here is a link to the online version.

I have not yet looked at the details, but I'm tentatively thinking that this might be a net positive for us in the future. As opposed to Europe and the Med, where we much prefer to go off on our own and would find included excursions fairly useless, we would not be as likely to do that in Asia. The mystery would be how much they will raise their fares to include these extras...

What do other people think?

They speak of "free" excursions and wifi. Nothing is free. They are included in what is certain to be an increased price.

I have abandoned Regent after they became all-inclusive. My final Regent cruise was one which I booked at the former rate. Then "free" excursions were added for everyone. I took several such excursions and was disappointed that they were much more crowded than previous Regent excursions. Some of the excursions that I wanted (and would have gladly paid for) were full up. Sadly, some of them left with empty space: It cost nothing to get a ticket, but some people slept in, etc.

It will be interesting to see if Silversea has an option to opt out of the "free" excursions with a reduction in fare.

JP,

I've been reading your post and thinking about it and may I suggest I find something to me that seems a contradiction.

In your freewwheeling spirit Chris and yourself do not take organised tours in Europe and appear to like being really independant. In a way I can see the temptation in Asia to take the organised tour perhaps because the environment seems more alien and you are both busy and this is easier. But I think Asia rewards even more if having invested all that time and cash in getting that far and having such a short time to take it in I think the rewards are greater for Chris and you in particular for taking a touch more trouble and time and finding yourself something more bespoke and personal. Of course it is more trouble and time, but the time you waste spending too long often at things that are basically "I have now been there" type things and are also more dependent on being with many others and people complain if you don't spend "long enough" at a place

might allow you to add on stuff that really interests you and Chris. My one for example would be "take me somewhere where local people eat their lunch but no tourists go." That type of stuff. I'm also concerned that free means less rather than more. Going all that way and then finding whilst taking it or having commited to the cdruise cost it is less than you could do independently might then seem with the benefit of hindsight like a force economy.

So I was a bit suprised that you in particular conclude that organised free tours are possible right for you in Asia and I hope the contra argument is something that makes you think a bit more and then make the right decision for you both either way.

Jeff

I agree with Jeff above. Most Asian destinations are simpler than European ones for getting about on your own, offer a different experience if you are intrepid rather than follow a predictable tourist trip (or trap?) and I cannot think of a destination that SS calls at that you could describe as threatening or dangerous (with the possible exception of Manila).

We were lucky to live in Hong Kong for three years and travel extensively in the region. I can see the attraction of organised tours for those that feel that they prefer the comfort of being in a group but, really, going it alone is so much more interesting and satisfying

Interesting. I feel quite safe in Manila. Been to Djibouti or Batumi, Georgia?

Only spent a day in Manila - didn't fell comfortable at all. Never been to Djibouti or Batumi but after 30 years in the Military it's not unreasonable to say I've been to some places that were less than wholly safe! And I grew up in the Shankill area of Belfast in the 60s/70s which was not without its exciting moments.

Only spent a day in Manila - didn't fell comfortable at all. Never been to Djibouti or Batumi but after 30 years in the Military it's not unreasonable to say I've been to some places that were less than wholly safe! And I grew up in the Shankill area of Belfast in the 60s/70s which was not without its exciting moments.

I must admit I go cold whenever I hear the name Manilla.

My only trip was on business with a client to visit his partner who had a factory in Manilla and he and his "business associates" were all armed with automatic pistols and something more substantial in the boot.

It was an interesting few days and it was one of the very few times I have not felt as safe as I normally do and couldn't wait for the feeling of safety on the flight back .....

I was bought up in the East-end of London, lived in the next block to Reggie's and Ronnie's mum and worked in Soho when it was often a bit of a war zone ... but it was nothing like Belfast.

:)

Jeff

Jeff and Tothesunset, thanks for your comments. It took a few trips to Europe before we got the "lay of the land" and started going out on our own. We have never been to this part of Asia, so my assumption was that we might not be ready to dive in on our own on the first visit. Therefore, an all-inclusive package might not be bad for us. But who knows - we have done things like that before, in unfamiliar places...

We would probably feel comfortable doing a city tour more or less on our own, as long as we planned ahead. And I strongly suspect that we could cover more on our own than we could with a ship's tour group. Probably wouldn't rent a car and go off further afield, as we like to do in Europe. At least not the first time!

In any event, this is more theoretical, since we won't have time for Asia in 2016. Already have the Danube booked for next spring with Uniworld, and 2-3 weeks in the fall for a trip to Madagascar, with an extension to South Africa in the works. The latter trip is a follow-up to our recent safari, with the same group of friends. Will be unique and memorable, I am sure!

I received an email that SS is now includes "free" shore excursions, flights, wifi and two nights of hotel on a cruise I booked for Asia next year. The only problem is that all this "free" stuff has raised the fares about $2000 over what I paid. Sure glad I'm not getting anything free.

I received an email that SS is now includes "free" shore excursions, flights, wifi and two nights of hotel on a cruise I booked for Asia next year. The only problem is that all this "free" stuff has raised the fares about $2000 over what I paid. Sure glad I'm not getting anything free.

Good to know - wondered how much the all-inclusive change had raised the fares... That's pretty steep, though is that amount per person, or per cabin?

In our recent Med cruise it was close to $1.5K per person for the up-charge. We were lucky to book and pay before January 2015, when the policy changed for the Med. I have to say we bought in for the "free" Doge's Palace excursion in Venice and thought it was very good. However, we did all on our own before Venice and were very pleased!

SS must not think it is a failed experiment if they are expanding it. They must be very interested in expanding their base and they think Regent is their competition. Are the SS upcoming ships larger than the current fleet? If so, then they are truly following Regent's lead.

To me this is a way of 'stealing' Regent's marketing and using it as a cover to increase costs and to improve their margins. Prices have been fairly static over the last few years and there must come a point where their cost cutting will have such a negative effect on the product that they have to stop or kill it completely.

On a personal note, their included excursions are unlikely to be of any interest and I will wait to see how the included one hour of WiFi works with the unlimited package.

The included excursions is a main reason I will never sail Regent. If this becomes the de facto policy on Silversea I will cross them off my list too. Let's hope it's a failed experiment.

We feel the same way about Regent and it's one reason we've never considered sailing with them. We're selective about our tours and don't do them in every port. I agree that a 2-tier fare would be ideal (with and without tours) but it would too clearly expose the upcharge that's involved.

I have to think that the "free excursions" angle is directed at the important segment of new (or newish) cruisers, people who may not be aware of the norm, the higher fare implications and who simply chalk it up as another big plus. Of course, I realize that it IS a plus for a lot of people, which is all to the good. But it reminds me of Oceania's constant "50% Off!" offers that lure many into thinking they're getting a special deal.

And on the Regent board, there's been discontent with the quality of some tours, large group size and more crowded buses. So caveat emptor, and all that.

IMHO, it sounds like a win-win... but not necessarily for the passenger.

Edited by Seafairer

Agree with all of the negative comments. Included excursions is a big draw from the non-luxury cruising population and also for people that have not cruised extensively. Even if the excursions were great (and some on Regent in Africa and the Middle East are), once you have been to a port once or twice, why pay for excursions again. The solution is to set up an opt-out option which gives a credit to passengers that do not want to take advantage of included excursions. The reason Regent has not offered this is because included excursions is so darn attractive and attracts so many passengers:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...