Where do ships buy their furniture/decor?

Melbourne84

This is such an odd question, but I can't be the only person wondering! I love the furniture and décor on ships (carpeting, linens, etc, specifically RCCL & NCL). Does anyone know where cruise lines buy this stuff (I'm thinking from large wholesalers that only sell to hotels/cruise lines?) and, more to the point, can ordinary people order too? I've Googled this question at least 10 different ways and haven't found an answer, hoping someone can help :) I know RCCL offers their linens/bedding, but what about furniture and other things? Judging by the prices of RC bedding, I can only imagine what other, larger pieces would go for

I have a feeling the actual furniture is made especially for the cabin category it will go in...sort of like RV's or trailers.....the furniture is made to fit the space that it's specific to..... I doubt it's anything you could buy on the open market.

Edited by cb at sea

If there is something you like inparticular you could always ask the cruise line where they get it from

Most lines will sell beds or bedding or tell you the supplier

Some furnishing are probably made specifically for the ship

This is such an odd question, but I can't be the only person wondering! I love the furniture and décor on ships (carpeting, linens, etc, specifically RCCL & NCL). Does anyone know where cruise lines buy this stuff (I'm thinking from large wholesalers that only sell to hotels/cruise lines?) and, more to the point, can ordinary people order too? I've Googled this question at least 10 different ways and haven't found an answer, hoping someone can help :) I know RCCL offers their linens/bedding, but what about furniture and other things? Judging by the prices of RC bedding, I can only imagine what other, larger pieces would go for

Linens and towels are generally purchased through large wholesalers that sell specifically to the hospitality market. If volumes are large, such as for a new ship start-up, several containers of product are ordered and are shipped factory-direct, usually from overseas (China, Turkey, Europe, etc.).

Furniture and soft furnishings, such as carpet and drapery, are sourced in a different manner, not through wholesalers to the hospitality market. Architects and designers play a large role with space design and interior design for public spaces, stateroom, etc., therefore the majority of the furniture and soft furnishings are custom-designed and manufactured. These items are sourced globally and also have to meet certain maritime requirements to ensure they are fire-retardant. These are not generally offered for sale to the public.

If you are interested in the colors and design then contact an interior designer. We have access to the fabrics and furniture. Most of the fabrics are commercially rated but we do know where to get them for less.

I work in Boston, MA there are several arch companies that design cruise ships here. Although I personally do not design ships we all have the same company reps so we all see the same finishes.

"Half of a DINK and proud of it!."😜

Several of Carnival Co's lines, such as Princess, P&O, Cunard use a fabric design team with their own screen printing mills, in Batley, Yorkshire. This firm, Skopos, developed a fabric which is fire proof up to 100 washes, and most hospitals and schools in the UK also use the firm. We lived close to the screen printing mill in Dewsbury, and I've had many seconds of material from there, which I recognise when I go on board....in fact, our first ship, Sea Princess had fabrics I was using at home. Their mill in Batley still sells seconds of fabrics.

Nearly anything you see on ships CAN be purchased by anyone...if you have enough money and if it is a newer ship. The main issue is if your house can handle the scale of the furniture as much of it tends to be larger scale pieces. If you could specify what it is that you are looking for it would be easier to point you in the right direction as to who makes what pieces.

If you are interested in the colors and design then contact an interior designer. We have access to the fabrics and furniture. Most of the fabrics are commercially rated but we do know where to get them for less.

I work in Boston, MA there are several arch companies that design cruise ships here. Although I personally do not design ships we all have the same company reps so we all see the same finishes.

"Half of a DINK and proud of it!."

I live in Boston and I'm fascinated to learn what companies here design cruise ships.

Edited by sail7seas

I know the lines keep reupolstering the same old chairs etc. I have seen sales of ship furniture in Miami.

HAL has contributed used chairs, tables, mattresses etc to ports where there is need such as in Caribbean after a hurricane, or to children's centers etc

Rent 2 own:eek:

• 2 years later...

ZIN HOME is one of the major furniture supplier to cruise lines.