How to travel home from canada

joedebnh

We are considering a cruise from Boston to either Montreal or Quebec City. We have not been able to find a suitable travel option from Canada back to Boston. Any suggestions?

I would think that there are flights from at least Montreal to Boston. Did you check in to flights? It takes under 2 hours to drive between Quebec City and Montreal so you could rent a car and drive if your cruise ends up in Quebec City and there are no flights from there to Boston. Good Luck.:)

I'm not sure why you are struggling because there are many, many flights from Montreal to Boston everyday and the non-stop ones are only a little over an hour long. I'm seeing lots of options on Air Canada and United. Have you tried looking for your airfare on one of the major travel booking sites where you can compare airfares and selecting non stop? If the flights are sold out on the day of your trip, then perhaps you should fly home the next day. Montreal is a wonderful city (as is Quebec City) with much to see and do.

I did a quick search and found 207 flights from Montreal to Boston on January 14 (I had to put a date in). Also found 2 buses thatyou could take. You could also do a 1 way car rental. Surely one of these optionm would work for you.

DON

What do you mean by suitable ???

Lots of flights from YQB also but they have connections

Air Canada & United have non stop flights from YUL

When are you travelling ???

Edited by LHT28

We have done Maasdam's Boston to Montreal to Boston cruise(s) b-to-b many times. On one such trip, our friends boarded in Boston with us. We had great cruise to Montreal where they disembarked. They pre-arranged an international car rental and drove home. They stopped at a B&B a few nights to extend their time away but I see you are in NH. They said it was a very easy drive and no issue turning in the car when they got back to Boston.

We stayed aboard for the return cruise and disembarked in Boston. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Pretty sure that Amtrak offers an overnight train from Montreal if you want to extend your vacation a bit.

Riding Amtrak would certainly "extend" the vacation - but hardly in a happy way. You would sit up all day from Montreal to New York, spend the night in New York, then train up to Boston.

If all else fail you could canoe it back to Boston. Lots of lakes and rivers to navigate on.:D Canoeing is just like sailing on a cruise ship. Honest. And there are no chair hogs!:)

And the longest portage is only 50 miles.:p

We are considering a cruise from Boston to either Montreal or Quebec City. We have not been able to find a suitable travel option from Canada back to Boston. Any suggestions?

Explain "suitable options". Totally don't understand why you are having problems.

Yes, OP please come back and explain - I find this fascinating! :p There are many options, as stated.

Amazingly, the OP has done a bunch of cruises and he has 447 posts. There must be something that we are missing.

DON

Amazingly, the OP has done a bunch of cruises and he has 447 posts. There must be something that we are missing.

I wonder if this is the first time they have considered an open-jaw cruise and suddenly realized that driving to and leaving their car at the embarkation port is not an option. Or, as they live relative close to Boston, simply expect the cruise line to make all the arrangements with no effort or expense on their part.

Edited by fishywood

DON

Perhaps you are missing nothing. We have been helping lots of folks, for over 20 years, who need advice/support to do travel on their own (be it just a long driving trip in Europe or a Port day). Over the years we have encountered quite a few folks that, although they may have done a lot of travel, have absolutely zero "travel sense." Think of the traveler who will not get off a ship in any port unless they have a guide to lead them around and point out major sites such as "this is a café," "this is a boutique." Sounds weird, but we kid you not :)

Hank

Riding Amtrak would certainly "extend" the vacation - but hardly in a happy way. You would sit up all day from Montreal to New York, spend the night in New York, then train up to Boston.

AWFUL......... :eek:

No thank you. :D

Perhaps you are missing nothing. We have been helping lots of folks, for over 20 years, who need advice/support to do travel on their own (be it just a long driving trip in Europe or a Port day). Over the years we have encountered quite a few folks that, although they may have done a lot of travel, have absolutely zero "travel sense." Think of the traveler who will not get off a ship in any port unless they have a guide to lead them around and point out major sites such as "this is a café," "this is a boutique." Sounds weird, but we kid you not :)

Hank

I give those possibly less independent folks lots of credit. They could have much more easily stayed home. We all look for and want something different from our travels. If have a guide gives some folks the confidence to leave home then good for them. No matter their style or method they are broadening their horizons at a comfort level that suits them. I hate for anyone to be criticized or mocked for that.

We all make our own choices and only we know why or what is best for us.

I wonder if this is the first time they have considered an open-jaw cruise

We're considering either a Boston to Montreal or Montreal to Boston cruise (staying a day before or after in Montreal.) (The date picked for my high school's 50th reunion could determine which.)

We are not near either port. DW was looking at Amtrak from Albany. Since Albany has an airport, I looked at flights. They are not direct with long layovers generally in Newark.

Of the three Metropolitan airports, Newark is actually the most convenient for us (despite we live in NY State.)

Does flying in and out of Newark seem practical? Any other advice if this does not seem a practical solution?

Does flying in and out of Newark seem practical? Any other advice if this does not seem a practical solution?

If you live closer to EWR then flying to/from Montreal (YUL) is more practical

several flights a day with AC & UA