Royal Cipper -Windwards -18 Jan 2014

jcl410

OK -

I'll throw my name out... I just booked the 18 jan 2014 trip.. Any one else? (Sorry I'm not going the week before or after, but they are offering a a "no single supplement rate that week here in the USA.)

Aloha,

John

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Mary -

Nice to hear from you; I'm flying down from Baltimore,Maryland, USA the day before departure.

I'm not planning on doing too many excursions; except for the sailling race om Antingua.

Have you been on other cruises before?

Aloha,

John

Hi John,

I will be flying in from Toronto, Canada on the 17th. I have been on other cruises with Oceania and Viking River Cruises but never on one of the Star Clipper ships. I am looking forward to the adventure. I did an Oceania eastern Caribbean cruise last fall and stopped a few of the ports we will be visiting so I may do only a couple of ship's excursions. I am thinking of arranging for a Barbados guide for a few hours before my flight back on the 25th.

Looking forward to sailing on the Royal Clipper:-)

Mary

• 2 months later...

Here are some Notes from the cruise:

Check in was done on board this time in the Piano Lounge,and it went quickly.

The on board food/service/etc remains consistent as before.

The beach buffet was on Antigua.

Weather was good; good sailing 1st half of trip; there was some rocking 1 day, and another, we sailed at a 5 degree heel.

During the engine room tour, the Chief Engineer said that the anti-heel tank system has been inoperative for 5 years.

One of the main engines was out of service when getting ready to depart Martinique... he pilot had already boarded for a 2pm departure. At about 2:15, he left the ship,and it was announced that we would depart at 5PM. One rumor was we were awaiting Port clearance to leave; I don't know.

I do know 2 things; 1)I saw both the Captain and Chief Engineer personally checking the WTD and FSD in my hall way, and 2) we were definitely only using one main engine heading back to Barbados - we were only averaging 8.5-9 knots against the wind/waves.

Arrival was first announced as 0930 (vice 0700). Once we got in the lee of Barbados, our speed picked up to 10 knots, and we got to the Port around 0830. I left the ship at 1000 and waited at the airport until check in started at 1245.

Aloha,

John