QM2's next refit: What would you change?

JollyJackTar52

I think revamping the upper deck splash pool area would be a great idea. I suspect that Carnival Corp. has plans somewhere in their minds to do some sort of revamp of the pay to eat areas on the ship to maximize enjoyment and increase profits.

I would suspect that any changes would have to increase the numbers of cabins on the ship also.

I always thought the ship needed a special space for martini's to be served. I like the champagne bar a lot. I like Sir Samuel's for wine a lot also.

But I also would like to sit in an area dedicated to the art of martini making.

Not a frozen bar like on one of RCCL's ships but a more elegant place with an aft view. Not sure where that would be in a remodel but just my thought.

I always thought the ship needed a special space for martini's to be served. I like the champagne bar a lot. I like Sir Samuel's for wine a lot also.

But I also would like to sit in an area dedicated to the art of martini making.

Not a frozen bar like on one of RCCL's ships but a more elegant place with an aft view. Not sure where that would be in a remodel but just my thought.

I like the idea of a martini bar and there will be plenty of room for it, with an aft view, on Deck 7 after the Grill restaurants are relocated as I suggested in post #22 above.

Oil? $84 a barrel today.

David.

I wonder if the QM2 was a mistake of the 90s when fuel prices were at US$25 a barrel and a 6 night crossing was financially reasonable, and Cunard is now stuck with this gas guzzler now that is too expensive to dispose off, so now it is being used as a cruise ship at 19 kts. What if Cunard had decided to exit the ocean liner business in the 90s after the QE2 is retired and had decided built 2 cruise ships instead of the gas guzzling QM2? Would it have been a better idea to fit her with diesels instead like the QE2, knowing that fuel prices would be as high as they are now? Imagine if you have a Ferrari and you are not allowed to drive it more aggressively than a Corolla for fear of breaking the bank.

Edited by ren0312

So what damage would there be to Cunard's brand, if it decided to only operated cruise ships that are positioned a step above say, P&O? And stop operating ocean liners altogether. So basically become the British version of Holland America.

Edited by ren0312

I wonder if the QM2 was a mistake of the 90s when fuel prices were at US$25 a barrel and a 6 night crossing was financially reasonable, and Cunard is now stuck with this gas guzzler now that is too expensive to dispose off, so now it is being used as a cruise ship at 19 kts. What if Cunard had decided to exit the ocean liner business in the 90s after the QE2 is retired and had decided built 2 cruise ships instead of the gas guzzling QM2? Would it have been a better idea to fit her with diesels instead like the QE2, knowing that fuel prices would be as high as they are now? Imagine if you have a Ferrari and you are not allowed to drive it more aggressively than a Corolla for fear of breaking the bank.

What exactly do you think mainly powers her generators? Dilithium crystals?

It would be great if they could find somewhere sheltered/indoors for smokers other than G32.

I fully appreciate that, particularly on a transatlantic, the weather is often too bad for smokers to go outside but I would like to be able to spend time there in the evening.

Sadly the smoke refuses to stay upstairs where it is exhaled and my asthma kicks off after about 20 minutes and we have to leave.

Edited by CABINET

What exactly do you think mainly powers her generators? Dilithium crystals?

The QE2 is power by diesels, which are enough to take her to 34kts without gas turbines, the QM2 diesels are enough to take the ship to the low 20s with diesels, after which you will need to use the gas turbines, and that is where the problem is, since you will need to use lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ if you want to reach the upper 20s. Which brings me back to the point as to whether the reason why Cunard approved this ship in the first place in the 90s was because oil prices were at 25 dollars per barrel back then, and no one expected back in the late 90s that oil prices to be where they are now.

http://www.beyondships.com/QM2-art-Watling.html

http://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php?topic=5501.0

Edited by ren0312

The QE2 is power by diesels, which are enough to take her to 34kts without turbines, the QM2 diesels are enough to take the ship to the low 20s with diesels, after which you will need to use the gas turbines, and that is where the problem is, since you will need to use lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ if you want to reach the upper 20s.

Originally Posted by ren0312 View Post

So if I read you correctly you are saying that QM2 was fitted with diesels yet you are also asking whether it would have been a better idea to fit her with diesels. No wonder I'm confused!

The bottom line is knowing what it did, would Carnival still build the QM2 today with the gas turbines? Or would it even build an ocean liner in the first place, as opposed to just building a cruise ship and getting out of the ocean liner business.

http://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php?topic=4209.0

Edited by ren0312

The bottom line is knowing what it did, would Carnival still build the QM2 today with the gas turbines? Or would it even build an ocean liner in the first place
On the QM2 10th Anniversary westbound crossing in May this year the designer of QM2, Dr. Stephen Payne, gave a series of five lectures.

In one of them he told us that he is often asked "if I was designing QM2 today, what would I change?". He told us that he wouldn't fit the turbines, but instead provide additional diesel engines alongside the existing ones, to enable the ship to have the reserve of power needed to reach her top speed (29/30 knots). She needs that reserve so she can arrive "on schedule" after a crossing.

In December 2013 QM2 was delayed by storms in the first few days of the crossing to New York (I loved the storms, but she had to slow down). When the weather cleared Commodore Rynd "put his foot down" and QM2 was doing 27 knots (maybe more?) for much of the remainder of the trip, and we arrived only one hour behind schedule.

So that reserve of power (above the usual 23 knot max that cruise ships typically enjoy) comes in very useful on occasions :)

(He also said that, following complaints from Captain Oprey, he'd provide a larger Captain's Cabin! ;) )

Hope this helps :) .

Edited by pepperrn

On the QM2 10th Anniversary westbound crossing in May this year the designer of QM2, Dr. Stephen Payne, gave a series of five lectures.

In one of them he told us that he is often asked "if I was designing QM2 today, what would I change?". He told us that he wouldn't fit the turbines, but instead provide additional diesel engines alongside the existing ones, to enable the ship to have the reserve of power needed to reach her top speed (29/30 knots). She needs that reserve so she can arrive "on schedule" after a crossing.

In December 2013 QM2 was delayed by storms in the first few days of the crossing to New York (I loved the storms, but she had to slow down). When the weather cleared Commodore Rynd "put his foot down" and QM2 was doing 27 knots (maybe more?) for much of the remainder of the trip, and we arrived only one hour behind schedule.

So that reserve of power (above the usual 23 knot max that cruise ships typically enjoy) comes in very useful on occasions :)

(He also said that, following complaints from Captain Oprey, he'd provide a larger Captain's Cabin! ;) )

Hope this helps :) .

I am sure the Cunard executives were happy over the additional fuel expenses. The problem with fitting additional diesels was that you would have to change the structure of the engine room and make it larger to accomodate the extra engines.

Edited by ren0312

In 2010 we were delayed 6 hours leaving Quebec for New York. I figured they'd pour on the turbine fuel to make up the time but we arrived in New York 6 hours late.
Well given that Commodore Warner's original estimate was arrival at 2:15PM Sunday and we actually passed under the Verrazano at 9:45AM, QM2 did make up time. The TV report at 5:10PM Saturday had the ship doing 26.7 knots so the turbines were in use.

I am sure the Cunard executives were happy over the additional fuel expenses. The problem with fitting additional diesels was that you would have to change the structure of the engine room and make it larger to accomodate the extra engines.

This detracts somewhat from the survivability of the ship also. Heaven forbid if the worst should happen to QM2, those Turbines are way above the Waterline, whereas Diesels have to be below it due to their weight. The way QM2 is configured, all 4 of her diesels could ingest water and become completely inoperable, yet she would still have power thanks to those turbines and their unique positions behind the main funnel.

Turbines also power up significantly quicker than a large diesel generator. Also a very handy feature in an emergency situation.

Edited by JollyJackTar52

This detracts somewhat from the survivability of the ship also. Heaven forbid if the worst should happen to QM2, those Turbines are way above the Waterline, whereas Diesels have to be below it due to their weight. The way QM2 is configured, all 4 of her diesels could ingest water and become completely inoperable, yet she would still have power thanks to those turbines and their unique positions behind the main funnel.

Turbines also power up significantly quicker than a large diesel generator. Also a very handy feature in an emergency situation.

I wouldn't confuse the GTs with emergency generators. Whilst they are positioned well above the main deck, the switchboards and electrical equipment that they feed are not. If a flooding casualty is affecting the diesels, then the switchboards would also be affected.

Haven't read all the posts. I see that many are about the cafeteria, however I can't say much on that since I try and avoid it and ALL the cafeterias at sea on all ships. After you pay thousands for a cruise I can't figure why anyone would choose to line up with a tray like you were in the High School cafeteria to eat a meal and then have to fight for seats.

I guess a place is needed in the evening for the blue jeans, cutoffs, sneakers and tee shirts folks who refuse to follow any sort of dress rules but still have to eat

My number one and only serious recommendaton for any refit is this

BOOT the godawful, tired, boring and mostly inedible Todd English off the ship and replace with the Verandah Restaurant as has already been accomplished on the Queen Vic