Winter Transatlantic Crossing

Jeffrey1950

Could someone please share their experience crossing in Jan. from Southampton to New York ?

I am tempted to make this crossing, just how rough are the seas usually? Am I right to assume that there is not much hope in having a walk out on deck. Is it really worth having a balcony cabin at this time of the year? I am also concerned about the flight over from Newark, New Jersey what if the plane was delayed? So much comes to mind....I guess it would be best to fly in a day ahead of the trip and stay overnight in Southampton. Looking forward to your replies....and any advice you can give. Thank you !!

Edited by Jeffrey1950

Could someone please share their experience crossing in Jan. from Southampton to New York ?

I am tempted to make this crossing, just how rough are the seas usually? Am I right to assume that there is not much hope in having a walk out on deck. Is it really worth having a balcony cabin at this time of the year? I am also concerned about the flight over from Newark, New Jersey what if the plane was delayed? So much comes to mind....I guess it would be best to fly in a day ahead of the trip and stay overnight in Southampton. Looking forward to your replies....and any advice you can give. Thank you !!

Most definitely fly the day ahead. Way too much bad can happen with airline schedules these days, especially in the Winter. Southampton and environs have interesting things to do as well. As far as the crossing, I will say, as will others, that it can be anything from flat calm (unlikely) to Force 10+. I would not worry about it on QM2. You don't say what ship. I love the cold walks on deck. Makes me ready for a Hot Toddy.:D Personally, I have not spent money on balconies for Transatlantics. Warm outdoors will not be an issue in January. Lots of us crazies really like the feel of the North Atlantic and January will almost guarantee an invigorating crossing.:eek::D

I would absolutely fly in a day before and spend a night in the UK before sailing back.

As for the weather, who can predict it? Chances are you will get a day or two of stormy weather but the chances of a day or two or more of relatively benign weather are equal or better. I've done 2 January crossings and had one to two days of bad weather on each but several days on each of OK weather.

You will be able to go out on deck. You may even find it quite mild at times. You will be in the Gulf Stream so the water and the air are not cold. This past January we caught a warm current for a couple of hours one afternoon and the temperature went up to 20 degrees Celcius for a short period.

As for a balcony, I'd book a window cabin and if they drop the prices for a balcony ask to move up. The advantage of a balcony is not just being able to step out, its also having floor to ceiling glass for a much brighter cabin.

Enjoy your crossing!

Haven't crossed westbound in January but we did in December 2012, and we had a ball. Here is part of my blog from the most interesting day:

Wednesday 12/19 [2012]

Our 100th day aboard QM2! And it's a doozy, began with by far the roughest weather we've ever experienced on QM2

Rough weather began last night, Captain Oprey predicted that it would be the worst between 9PM and 3AM. In a special announcement at 9:40 this morning he said that at 2AM the wind was Force 11, 80 knots at the bridge, with 40 foot waves (We were asleep and missed it. Drat!). ...

I'm sure you will enjoy the crossing and your only regret may be that you didn't experience Queen Mary 2 doing her thing through a similar storm. I uploaded the Daily Programmes, photos, videos, and blog of the whole cruise here. Bon voyage!

I crossed on the QE in January. When I left D.C. the temperature was 10 degrees (and that is fahrenheit) and when I arrived in the UK it was 50. The warm weather continued for the two days I was in Southampton and most of the first day at sea. I was able to sit on my balcony the first morning. During the late afternoon we got closer and closer to a storm and the sea got rougher (although the air temp did not change much until we got close to NYC. We took a much more southerly route than is usually taken going from Southampton to NYC. The rough seas lasted for about 4 days. I wrote this on 1/13....

360 miles north of the Azores

36 hours of rough seas as of noon 1/13

force 9 42-45 knots

8 metre swells

14/58 degrees

squalls through tomorrow

I was able to walk on deck a couple of times but the wind was fierce. I would go out on my balcony for a few minutes each day but I would not get one if I was only doing a crossing in winter.

Definitely go early. The week I left home some flights were cancelled thanks to the polar vortex.

Jeffrey ~

As card-carrying members of the Winter Crossing Club, my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our voyage aboard the Queen Elizabeth from So'ton to New York last January.

The sea conditions were as Scrapnana describes. That didn't hamper our enjoyment; in fact, it enhanced it. But then again, not everyone gets a thrill from experiencing winter storms in the North Atlantic.:D

Do fly over at least a day early; more, if your time and budget allows it. It's a shame to go all that way and not spend some time in England before boarding the ship for the return voyage.

The videos in this playlist should give you a bit of the flavor of a winter crossing on the latest Lizzie:

Bon voyage!

Jeffrey ~

As card-carrying members of the Winter Crossing Club, my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our voyage aboard the Queen Elizabeth from So'ton to New York last January.

The sea conditions were as Scrapnana describes. That didn't hamper our enjoyment; in fact, it enhanced it. But then again, not everyone gets a thrill from experiencing winter storms in the North Atlantic.:D

Do fly over at least a day early; more, if your time and budget allows it. It's a shame to go all that way and not spend some time in England before boarding the ship for the return voyage.

The videos in this playlist should give you a bit of the flavor of a winter crossing on the latest Lizzie:

Bon voyage!

Thanks, I really enjoyed those video's. It gave me a lot to think about. Not really interested in staying in the U.K for long lived there for 19 years. One of the video's showed the Welsh Guards when I was living in London I met and married a member of the Coldstream Guards ( don't be fooled by the name Jeffrey my real name is Lizz. The Jeffrey part comes from my mothers maiden name). Thank you everyone for your replies !!

Edited by Jeffrey1950

Jeffrey ~

Bon voyage!

Thanks for the videos. It was fun to see some familiar faces!

There were some really nice days on that voyage and on more than a couple of occasions we were out on the balcony with our G&T's. In my opinion a balcony is worth it, even on a January Transatlantic - that said you just never know what the weather might do.

What was really nice this January was our late arrival into New York and to see sunrise as we approached Manhattan. I love the January crossings.

I can see It must be a good trip and rather tempting but how man actually fly back to the States the same day? Is it safe to book a flight home the same day of arrival?

Surely you'd want to spend at least one night in New York,

I am talking about sailing from New York and flying back. As for staying one night in New York, perhaps I am luckier than some I live about 15-20 minutes away from New York. I live in New Jersey. But it is just like when I lived in London when something is on your doorstep so to speak you do not bother much with it you just take it all for granted. My concern is if I sail Eastbound in the Winter and book to fly back the save day I arrive in the U.K is this unwise ?

Surely you'd want to spend at least one night in New York,

I am talking about sailing from New York and flying back. As for staying one night in New York, perhaps I am luckier than some I live about 15-20 minutes away from New York. I live in New Jersey. But it is just like when I lived in London when something is on your doorstep so to speak you do not bother much with it you just take it all for granted. My concern is if I sail Eastbound in the Winter and book to fly back the save day I arrive in the U.K is this unwise ?

Under most circumstances you should be ok with an afternoon departure. I know some people who flew home the same day that the World Voyage ended.

Are you having Cunard book your flight back to the US?

I've always been off the ship by 10.AM unless I deliberately dawdled, made 3 PM flights without much stress. But given the choice, I like to fly back the next day. Remember time zones when you're looking at scheduled times.

Maybe you should dawdle longer on the thread. The OP asked about getting off a plane to transfer to the ship, not getting off the ship.:confused::rolleyes:

Edited by SEFlyer

Jeffrey ~

Bon voyage!

Here is another interesting video about the history of the Cunard Line. It is narrated by no one but there is music and video of the Cunard Ships at sea. Here is the link
Regards,Jerry

Jeffrey ~

Bon voyage!

Great videos! Thank you for sharing your link. A good friend and I are booked on the January QE crossing and are looking forward to taking our "lumps" on the wintery Atlantic!

Under most circumstances you should be ok with an afternoon departure. I know some people who flew home the same day that the World Voyage ended.

Are you having Cunard book your flight back to the US?

Yes, I would have Cunard handle those details.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...