2nd passenger no show

trident777

Say me and a friend have booked a cabin together... what happens if only one of us is able to make the trip? Does the other get to use the entire cabin for himself exclusively or does the cruise ship reserve the right to reclaim the other spot and put someone else (perhaps on a wait list) in there? Essentially what I am asking is that if that person does not check in then is that space forfeited to the cruise line even though the cabin has been paid in full by the other person.

Are you seriously asking if the cruiseline would assign a stranger to share your cabin? If so, you could extend this train of thought to say that on the ships where nearly every oceanview and balcony stateroom has a sofa bed in it a couple could arrive on board to find with no warning a third person booked to bunk with them!

In the past many lines offered "single to share" bookings where you would be matched with a roomate of the same gender. Far, far too many liablity issues to run such a program today--never mind the possiblity of what you are thinking.

The cruise lines will not put a stranger in the room with you.

if your friend cancels then you might have to pay the single supplement which is equal to two fares.

the room belongs to you and only you

On a HAL cruise a couple of years ago, two women were scheduled to cruise to Bermuda. One had to cancel.

The other one went and had the cabin to herself.

But she got a surprise when HAL billed her for the single cruise rate of 200% as she was slone in the cabin.

Why did HAL do this? The woman who had cancelled had HAL's new insurance where she got back 90% of her fare under HAL's new insurance policy (Cancel within 24 hours for any reason and get back 90%).

On a HAL cruise a couple of years ago, two women were scheduled to cruise to Bermuda. One had to cancel.

But she got a surprise when HAL billed her for the single cruise rate of 200% as she was slone in the cabin.

Why did HAL do this? The woman who had cancelled had HAL's new insurance where she got back 90% of her fare under HAL's new insurance policy (Cancel within 24 hours for any reason and get back 90%).

Probably pre-planned to avoid a heavy singleton supplement :rolleyes:

Sneaky lady.;)

Good try but no cigar :D

JB :)

Say me and a friend have booked a cabin together... what happens if only one of us is able to make the trip? Does the other get to use the entire cabin for himself exclusively or does the cruise ship reserve the right to reclaim the other spot and put someone else (perhaps on a wait list) in there? Essentially what I am asking is that if that person does not check in then is that space forfeited to the cruise line even though the cabin has been paid in full by the other person.

you will NEVER be forced to share a cabin with a perfect stranger.

at best the taxes and port fees will be reimbursed.

this sounds bizarre- when did the women cancel? or was she just a no show?

if the women cancelled a few weeks BEFORE the sailing-- then yes the other person would have to pay the single supplement

if she cancelled right before sailing-- i am meaning the day before maybe within the week of sailing-- your friend should not have been charged

If the cruise is paid for, and one person doesn't show up, Carnival does not care. After splitting from my Ex, I decided to continue on a preplanned/prepaid cruise and they didn't care. At check in, I told them it was just me, and they said OK, no problem. I just got the room to myself.

You will not have to share a room, ever.

Poison, thanks... that is what I was thinking but with the airlines anyone who is a no-show forfeits their seat and it can be given away... say you had 2 seats side by side booked on the same ticket.. your friend does not show up and the flight has been overbooked, they will give that vacant seat to someone else waiting even though your friend paid in full for it :)

If it's paid for in full why would they care ?

The cruise line cares if there is a no show/last minute cancellation as they will get no on board spending from the person who was to have been in the second bed in that cabin. Cruise lines make their money from on board revenue far more than from cruise fares.

The cruise lines will not put a stranger in the room with you.

if your friend cancels then you might have to pay the single supplement which is equal to two fares.

the room belongs to you and only you

Yes. ^^ that.

Poison, thanks... that is what I was thinking but with the airlines anyone who is a no-show forfeits their seat and it can be given away... say you had 2 seats side by side booked on the same ticket.. your friend does not show up and the flight has been overbooked, they will give that vacant seat to someone else waiting even though your friend paid in full for it :)

Yes, but that's just transportation. You're not sharing a bed with that person nor are you leaving your personal belongings and valuables alone with them. A hotel room is much much different than sitting next to someone on a bus or plane.

You're comparing apples and oranges. It is part of the contract of carriage with your airline that if you are not at the gate within X minutes of takeoff your seat may be given away. If you don't show up for your flight the ticket still has reuse value once you pay the hefty change fees. If you don't show up for a cruise the cruiseline keeps your entire fare without recourse unless you have cancel-for-any-reason insurance. (And in that case it is usually the insurance company issuing you a future cruise credit for [a percentage of] the amount you lost. In the case cited by Krazy above where a cancellation is eligible for a refund, the cruiseline does have the right to add the single supplement to the newly solo passenger--but as we all agree on, they will not resell the berth to a random stranger).

this sounds bizarre- when did the women cancel? or was she just a no show?

if the women cancelled a few weeks BEFORE the sailing-- then yes the other person would have to pay the single supplement

if she cancelled right before sailing-- i am meaning the day before maybe within the week of sailing-- your friend should not have been charged

I think the difference here is...the insurance was with HAL. If the woman had had outside travel insurance, HAL would not have been out anything. But because they were providing the insurance, they were reimbursing the woman 90%. EM

Call the cruiseline or the travel agent who you booked your cruise. Get them do the name change, a relatively small fee might be required.

Due to security reason, don't think you can do it on sail away date at the port, at least not US ports...

AHHH we have all been there. Our first cruise, don't know quit what to expect. Don't worry the cabin will only belong to the ones who purchased it. And if one doesn't show up then the remaining passenger has that cabin all to themself. Unless they can find a relative or friend to cruise with them.

I had a cabin booked with my DH and my mom and a friend were in the cabin next door, when we discovered he couldn't come with us. 3 of us went, they had their room, I had mine and his port taxes and fees were reimbursed. We did not tell them he wasn't coming until we arrived at check in.

If the cruise is paid for, and one person doesn't show up, Carnival does not care. After splitting from my Ex, I decided to continue on a preplanned/prepaid cruise and they didn't care. At check in, I told them it was just me, and they said OK, no problem. I just got the room to myself.

You will not have to share a room, ever.

the same thing happened too me. a co-worker backed out at the last minute. she knew she lost her money but didnt care. :eek:. when i checked in i just said she was coming seperate from me and they didnt even blink. this was on carnival. i had the cabin too myself with no extra charges and it was a great trip.

Archived