How much does your wait staff make?????

Bobocasey

I just returned from a cruise with X and was interested to find out that your wait staff as well as your cabin attendent and assistant DO NOT RECIEVE ANY HOURLY WAGES FOR THEIR HOURS WORKED!!!!! THeir only source of income is from the tips we give them at the end of the cruise. It seems as though the staff sometime works 16 to 17 hours a day for tips only. I also found out that this is the same on all of the cruise ships. I think that this is forced slave labor. So if you stiff the wait staff they might not get any money for the entire cruise. My husband

being a former math teacher figured it out that if everyone tip according to the recommended guide lines that the staff might make about $550 for 11 days work at 16 to 17 hours a day . That figures out to about $2.00 an hour. If they are lucky. So if you don't tip they get nothing for all their hard work. Now I don't believe in tippng for tippng sake but if they do a good job they deserve to be paid a good wage.

However I have also cruised on NCL that automatically charges you bill a set amount for tips and sometimes NOT always in every case have felt that the wait staff was not up to X standards.

BOBCASEY

I don't know who's right, but I heard that they do make an hourly/monthly wage. However it is very, very small. They work extremely hard for their wages. That is why I always tip extra for a job well done. And they are always so thankful and gracious when I do.

That being said, I did have several conversations with staff and they told me that the F&B staff makes great money, but they work the hardest.

Regardless of how much or little they make, I think we can all agree that they work very hard for what they earn, despite being paid for their living expenses.

I think that this is forced slave labor.

BOBCASEY

Well, of course it isn't "forced slave labour", these people make a choice to work on the cruise ship.

But it is complicated. If you impose a tip on passengers (as you are saying NCL does), then is it a tip, or is it a wage? I don't like being required to leave a tip (as many restaurants onshore are now doing for large groups), because it removes all incentive for superior service. I like having the opportunity to provide extra cash to someone who goes above and beyond, or who has a great attitude. I put myself through university as a waitress and bartender, so I'm happy to fork out cash as I see fit.

I wonder if the staff receive their accommodation and meals as part of their employment package? Is there a per diem? Depending on how one lives, that alone could provide basic compensation.

Well, of course it isn't "forced slave labour", these people make a choice to work on the cruise ship.

But it is complicated. If you impose a tip on passengers (as you are saying NCL does), then is it a tip, or is it a wage? I don't like being required to leave a tip (as many restaurants onshore are now doing for large groups), because it removes all incentive for superior service. I like having the opportunity to provide extra cash to someone who goes above and beyond, or who has a great attitude. I put myself through university as a waitress and bartender, so I'm happy to fork out cash as I see fit.

I wonder if the staff receive their accommodation and meals as part of their employment package? Is there a per diem? Depending on how one lives, that alone could provide basic compensation.

I just tried to add this ... but apparently my time is up.

I do agree that they work very hard, and very long hours. I don't understand people who refuse to tip, when it's really part of the package when you take this type of vacation.

Gratuity based staff receive a monthly salary of $50, so for all intents and purposes tips are their only income.

Someone said that the waiters get about $45/wk - not sure about the cabin attendants - BUT they do get room and board. In many cases it is more than they would have made in their home country and for some it is a stepping stone to the hospitality industry. Sure tips are the major portion of revenue.

On our last cruise - our waiter had 3 tables ( I assume 2 shifts). One was a table for 2 - newlyweds - If they showed up in the DR 2-3 times during the 12 nights it was alot - but we heard they had noro for a time - still I doubt they tipped for the entire 12 nights. other table was a table for 8-10 which was missing at least 1-2 couples evey night. Our table of 6 missed a night when we had dinner in the Olympic - but all of us ponied up over and above because we had great service.

Just my 2 euros

Why is this important? Do we ask how much the clerk in the shoe store gets paid? The mechanic who tunes up our car? The guy/gal who checks our water meter every month? The busboy in a restaurant? etc.

On a large ship, such as the Millennium with over 1200 employees and just over 2000 passengers, why is the compensation of just the waiters important? What about the kitchen staff? The luggage toters? The guys who handle the lines on shore? The painters? The pursers staff? etc.

Why aren't we equally concerned with how much they get paid?

Cruise ship employment is a highly prized opportunity and the waiting lists are long for most jobs. The fact that the highest compensated (tips included) staff positions are those where contact with passengers is required makes a wait staff or steward position the most sought after.

Now, let's say for argument's sake that a waiter makes $50 a month plus room and board and that a waiter handles 16 people per voyage. Let's say he gets tips that average $3.50 a day (per person). That amounts to total pay of over $1,700.00 per month or more than $20,000.00 per year.

Tax free. Plus free room and board.

Yes, a good waiter is entitled to a fair gratuity, but a good waiter who earns just average tips makes darned good money. No question why these jobs are so highly prized.

... a lot of the people in the staff are from countries where the standard pay is about $350/month and imagine them earning $2000/month INCLUDING room and board - they can send $1500 back to the family and still have some spending-money. In Russia, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, Bulgaria etc. they've still got quite low wages in comparison to the rest of Europe so what we consider to be not very much money, is in fact a lot of money for people from some countries.

And of course the cruise-companies are more inclined to employ someone who's satified with a contract that says "free room and board and a guaranteed salary of $50 and possible tips" instead of "$3000 and no tips. Period."

My two cents. (and yes, 100 cents= 1 euro)..:cool:

Quote "Why is this important? Do we ask how much the clerk in the shoe store gets paid? The mechanic who tunes up our car? The guy/gal who checks our water meter every month? The busboy in a restaurant? etc"

I would say it is important because this something that is within our control. We always tip the dining room staff the full amount without regard to how many nights we show up for dinner................ assuming decent service...... and considerably more if they give great service. I might note that it has been a very rare occasion that the service on Celebrity was not exemplary!!!

The book "$elling the $ea", by Bob Dickinson (former CEO of Carnival Cruise Line) and Andy Vladimir (a teacher / academic at a relevant educational organisation) say this about waiters' compensation:

"Waiters are well-trained and highly-motivated. While their salaries are nominal, their tips can be substantial - waiters on the three major lines average around $3000 a month tax free, and as all their meals, accommodation and medical expenses are provided, that's money they can take home. Top waiters make $3,400 or more..."

The current (2nd) edition of the book was written in 2007 so it's pretty current. I recommend it; it's a good insight into the business side of the cruise industry.

Do they work long hours? Sure. Would they work long hours at home? Most likely, if they could get a job.

Few of the waiters or cabin attendants are on their first contract. So, I guess most of them are at least somewhat satisfied with their jobs. Our waitress on the last trip said she could have stayed home and worked for the government for about $300 per month, with little or no chance of upward mobility (skin color). She has been able to get her mother a home with a real floor and good roof, support her sister through college, and maybe even get a (used car) this time home. And her sister, who just graduated from college, had just gotten her first job on another cruise line.

For those who figure out the wages at 12 months a year, try again.

Contract is for 6-8 months, then 3 months off. For most, that is enough to maintain the family at home (if they have one).

Yes, the demand has increased because of the addition of new ships. And yes, there may be a time when the lines will have to increase compensation in order to keep the good folks.

There are quite a number of Americans who work extremely long hours, 7 days a week, and are getting shot at---for not a lot of money. And quite a few of them are back doing it again, and again. And they are all volunteers!

People keep mentioning that they get their room and board free. Most of the wait staff and stewards on board have family. That family does have living expenses - food, shelter, etc - while the wage earner is working on the ship and those have to be paid even though he/she is not at home. Also, the US dollar is declining - most tip in US dollars so that large amount they receive in tips is actually a lot less.

No it ain't slave labor. Wait staff work their butts off (12 hour day, 6 days a

week, sometimes 7), canned up in a hull, but they're well compensated. Plus they generally have to buy their uniforms and pay their embarkation point transportations to and fro (at least until they have a few contracts experience).

Several years ago, my TA related a conversation he had with a senior Carnival Corp. exec on compensation. Bona fide cruise emplyment agency websites corroborate the following.

A good head waiter on an annualized basis can make $45-50K per year (about $4K/mo); assistant waiters make around $35K ($3K/mo.) It's good money (particularly if untaxed).

Cabin stewards make around $25/K year.

This money goes further in developing countries, but the idea that these folks are rolling in dough at home is misplaced in the global village of 2008. Energy costs are increasing standardized worldwide as are consumer goods prices, etc. The lines are NOT hiring the lowest tier in the most impoverished places. They are hiring fairly cosmopolitan, adventurous people, from "second world" countries (eastern europe etc.) or urbanized cosmopolitans from even lesser economically developed countries. For instance, a very congenial asst. we had on Princess - from Romania - had been a bar waiter at the Best Western Bucharest (yep 'Best Western', it's been a long time since Route 66).

They're usually supporting family at home, and working very hard long hours for good wages that they generally earn every penny of IMHO.

I don't pity them in the least, I pity those whose straights are so difficult they cruise but can't seem to afford the normal gratuities... :(

Now, let's say for argument's sake that a waiter makes $50 a month plus room and board and that a waiter handles 16 people per voyage. Let's say he gets tips that average $3.50 a day (per person). That amounts to total pay of over $1,700.00 per month or more than $20,000.00 per year. Tax free. Plus free room and board.=quote]

I think you forgot that's there's two seatings, so their income would be quite a bit more.

I've heard different things about whether the tipped staff pool their tips or have to share with other groups of employees. Never actually asked the staff this question.

I'm just curious about this. If anyone knows for sure how this works on Celebrity then fill us in and let us know how you learned about this?

What difference would it make whether they share/pool tips or not?

It makes a huge difference. The tip pool doesn't just pay out money to the cabin attendant and wait staff, there are others also participating. The ship isn't a free for all with mounds of cash floating around on the last night of a sailing, it's a business and like most businesses they have a payroll. The amount of the payroll is determined by the tip pool receipts. For the curious I've attached a link to a site which explains wages etc. Might be dated info by now though.

http://www.cruiseshipjob.com/position.htm

It still doesn't matter whether they pool or not. The cruise staff freely enters into a contract knowing the conditions of the contract including what the average wage will be. It's their choice.

Whether they pool tips or not shouldn't make any difference in the amount we tip or whether or not we tip.

FWIW we tip the minimum recommended amounts and give extra to those who give service above what we expect. To us it seems fair.

On our last Celebrity cruise of 14 nights (port intensive), we ate in the dining room a total of 6 nights ...

The service was well-intentioned but a little clunky and the food less enchanting than we've come to expect of X (8 cruises on X in 3 years), so we went to the buffet, alternate dining and specialty dining the other nights. (We tipped generously at these venues for individual services rendered.)

We did not tip for the nights we were not in the dining room.

We politely told the maitre d' why we were not there every night. He just kinda laughed.

Hope that doesn't seem cheap to anybody. I always tip handsomely where deserved.

Why should we tip dining room for nights we're not there? Even if the service had been sublime, I still don't see why one should tip for 14 nights when we were there only 6 nights.

We tipped the equivalent of 6 nights and rounded it up.

Sorry, but I disagree. With all due respect, when someone shells out several thousand dollars for a cruise, why do they feel the need to withhold a few dollars because they didn't partake in every activity every day?

I empathize with not wanting to eat in the restaurant every day. That is your choosing. However, if you decide not to get your cabin serviced, would you withhold the gratuities for those days?

OK... here goes...

On average, a Waiter on X can make upwards towards $3300+ (give or take) per month. This is strictly based on 16 guests per seating, two seating's, $3.50pp/pd, 30 days per month. During my time on board, most servers had an average of 12 to 16 guests per section per voyage. Some evening all guests would come in, and other evenings just a handful. My best guess from working with them and having personal conversations with them during off time is that they make about $3000/month.

Waiter's have a monthly stipend of approximately $50. They get paid bi-monthly in USD (cash), and then can have the cash direct deposited into their bank accounts, or wired to specific persons.

Celebrity pays for all hotel/travel arrangements to and from the ship (some cruise lines do not). Prior to be hired, the individual must pay for their Pre-Employment Physical, which ran me about $200 (in my home city of Miami).

Food and accommodation is included. I am not too sure about their uniforms. As a member of the Management Team, I did not have to pay for my uniforms.

As far as expenditures once on board, it was virtually nil. Internet Cards were $30, pre-paid, and gave us a lot of time - something to the effect of $0.08/minute... the $20 card gave you $0.12/minute... Calling Cards were $10... not sure how much time would be on it as I had my Blackberry Pearl (AT&T) with me on board...

A drink at the crew bar would run $1/beer and $2/mixed drink. Bottled water ran $1, as well as Red Bulls, Gatorade, and snacks.

Un-tipped Management made more or less wages that would be comparable to land based hotels... My salary as an Assistant Food Manager was a little less than what I was making on land. The bonus on my end (As an American) was that I had NO living costs whatsoever, no gas to pay (we know how expensive it is right now), food, laundry, the list goes on... that was great when I was single... but now with a family, it does not benefit me to be onboard...

As far as hours are concerned, Celebrity has a ZERO TOLERANCE Policy on overtime hours - this included line staff and Management. I was confused when I board about this... even though we ALL had a monthly Salary, we ALL (Captain on down to Dishwasher) had to keep Time Cards. Time Cards would be checked daily to ensure we were not working more than 12 hours/day... if by chance we did work a little over, we would get compensated for it (there was some kind of formula for how much one would get). It actually did boost my salary just a tad, but not by much.

The other form of compensation was additional time off. I had one full day off per cruise... Waiters would have breakfast and lunches off... Additionally, being that X does not open Dining Rooms in Port, Waiters would rotate weekly working in the Buffet during breakfast and lunch.

I don't know if this sums it up... if you have any other questions, let me know! ;>)

Guaranteed at least $890 per month at least on RCI, per this scan:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2039530980101560587hmZjoT

I have a spreadsheet with specific figures.

The spreadsheet I have guarantees:

For Royal Caribbean International: $1074 (in grats) per month... this runs from the Asst Maitre D' to the Assistant Waiter... There is an area that states Cat "C" is guaranteed $890/month. I do not know what Cat "C" would be.

For Celebrity Cruises: $1083 (in grats) per month for Waiter and Asst Waiter... I do not have Asst Maitre D' info...

Archived