United SFO to VCE 2 for 1 coach with "Mileage" upgrade

calberry

OK, this new to us. :confused:

We have booked the Millennium from Venice to Barcelona :) in Sept. of 2007. We would like to use a coach buy-one get-one on United from/to SFO (flying back from Barcelona) for the two of us and use our miles to upgrade to either Business or 1st class. We understand we can't start action on this until 330 days :( in advance of the first leg of the flight (Oct. 26th...also assumes we will spend a couple of days pre-cruise in VCE).

Any hints or words of advice to offer on this?:rolleyes:

Thanks,

Steve :D

OK, this new to us. :confused:

We have booked the Millennium from Venice to Barcelona :) in Sept. of 2007. We would like to use a coach buy-one get-one on United from/to SFO (flying back from Barcelona) for the two of us and use our miles to upgrade to either Business or 1st class. We understand we can't start action on this until 330 days :( in advance of the first leg of the flight (Oct. 26th...also assumes we will spend a couple of days pre-cruise in VCE).

Any hints or words of advice to offer on this?:rolleyes:

Thanks,

Steve :D

Which buy one/get one free offer? Amex?? Ameniti?? Both of those offers generally book into VERY high $$$ fare classes-one ticket costs as much as TWO from other sources (like United's website). If it is another offer, you will have to READ ALL the fine print. A lot of offers are NON-upgradable.

The best you will be able to upgrade is ONE class. So coach to business or business to first class. NOT both, unless you are an elite on United and get an "operational upgrade" (a freebie-doesn't happen often on international flights).

How many miles do you have? Enough for business class tickets? United just "upped" the miles needed for an award ticket by an average of 22%.

Unless your buy 1/get 1 offer books into the inexpensive fare classes AND is upgradable (two things you ABSOLUTELY must check), you will probably be better off booking a United open jaw ticket that is upgradable (into Venice, out of Barcelona) AND upgrading with your miles.

Great feedback greatam. You hit the nail on the head...Ameniti. We both have ~200K miles, plus we have some Marriott points that we could swap for miles as well (of course using those points for air just became more expensive!)

Steve

Great feedback greatam. You hit the nail on the head...Ameniti. We both have ~200K miles, plus we have some Marriott points that we could swap for miles as well (of course using those points for air just became more expensive!)

Steve

I don't fly United much (loyal AA EXP), but I, too, purchased the Ameniti offer (and cancelled after the miles posted). After I looked at the restrictions for the 2/1 offer, I said "forget it".

IF you each have 200K miles,, business class or FIRST to Europe should be easily doable, even on an "everyday" award-150k Business and 200K First.

IF you are trying to save miles for future trips, "saver award"-80K business, 100K First, you will need to book or put on hold the award ticket outbound, the DAY they become available (usually 330 days pre flight). Work with United MP CSR-tell them what you are doing and ask them to "hold" outbound (usually two weeks), while you wait for the time to book "inbound". This is one time the fee to the airlines is WELL worthwhile.

IF you are looking for "SAVER" awards, don't forget all the "partners" United has. Too many to list, so look for availability there also. You really don't care which airline you fly on, so long as you are at least in business. And the European carriers' business class is generally better than the US carriers'.

I very rarely use miles to book an entire award. I use my miles (actually E-VIP's for me) and miles for DH to upgrade from coach to business. It really is a better value, even with AA's $250.00 co-pay each way for DH.

If you can find decent priced United coach tickets (and they are upgradeable) (or any of the* alliance partners) to your destination in Europe, call before you book and check upgrade availability. This really is the time when the "fee" for booking over the phone is well worth the money.

Steve,

I think your best bet is one of these two options:

(1) Purchase economy tickets in the M or H fare bucket.

Each ticket can be upgraded to business class for

60,000 miles total trip.

(2)Purchase the full fare economy ticket in the B or Y fare bucket.

This will cost you more than option 1 but has two advantages,

It is fully refundable and needs only 30,000 miles to upgrade to

business class.

I would contatct a UA agent to assist with this to insure you can confirm the upgrades.

Calberry,

One other consideration... you may want to bank those Marriott miles for your pre stay lodging if you have enough. We used ours in Rome so we stayed gratis for a room with a rack rate of 400 Euros. In September we are using our Hilton miles the same way for a top end Rome hotel pre-cruise and the airport hotel the night before we fly out at 7 in the morning. Also using Amex points for an overnight in Paris. I think it is about the best way of using up these points is "against the Euro" as opposed to using them on US properties.

PS Go Bears... Had Bears football season tickets in the early 80's and have been to a couple Big Games...

Hey Casu78, Go Bears! Our son was in the Cal Band during the early 90's, hence our affiliation (I'm actually a UCD Aggie myself). We have had season tix for BB and FB even though he has since moved on.

We have over 400K Marriott points. A bonus for buying a couple of weeks at Timber Lodge in Tahoe last fall. Will actually be using a week for the 1st time this summer.

Anyway, good idea about using the points for pre-stay (2-3 nights we hope), but searcing the Marriott site I don't see anything in Italy (specifically Venice) where we could use the points. Are there European companies they partner with that aren't shown on their site? Or am I just going to the wrong place to search.

Thanks,

Steve

Yes, you may be right... The "Courtyard Venice", even with breakfast included, would have a "big frown factor" with my wife!

Well, another possibility to look for is overnighting "en route" since SFO to Venice is a gawdawful flight. We are using AA miles, to and from Rome. The AA person went to great lenghts to find us flights that worked timewise. However, coming home she said "You know, I could put you through Paris, getting in at 10 AM, and not fly you out until the next day at 3..." Took me less than 5 seconds to sign off on that one! It was like an extra port of call. Sure its not enough time to "see Paris", but that is for another trip anyway.

You may want to take note that UA does not fly to Venice OR Barcelona. I would venture to guess one or more of the Star Alliance partners do however UA itself does not serve either of those cities at this time.

You may want to take note that UA does not fly to Venice OR Barcelona. I would venture to guess one or more of the Star Alliance partners do however UA itself does not serve either of those cities at this time.

Although United doesn't fly to VCE, if one goes to the United Trip Plannning site, they do list Luftansa as the carrier from SFO to VCE. Not sure then how to get back from BCN to SFO.

Steve

Would you be able to use the "buy one get one free" on Lufthansa? As they say, it's all in the fine print! If it's shown as a UA flight number, but is actually operated by Lufthansa then I think (and I don't know for sure) you would be a Lufthansa passenger, not a UA passenger so the special might not apply. Or maybe it would!

Would you be able to use the "buy one get one free" on Lufthansa? As they say, it's all in the fine print! If it's shown as a UA flight number, but is actually operated by Lufthansa then I think (and I don't know for sure) you would be a Lufthansa passenger, not a UA passenger so the special might not apply. Or maybe it would!

It's an Ameniti offer. United's "luxury" travel club. http://www.united.com.ar/press/pressroom/2004/us_0128.html

Must be used on UA metal and the 2/1 fare classes are more expensive than buying two discount tickets. I signed up. After I read the fine print, I cancelled.

OK, I did a little more investigating this morning. It appears to me that as a United Mileage Plus member I can use my miles with United's Star Alliance partners for international travel (e.g. Lufthansa for both legs). If I understand what I think learned, I can trade in 80K miles for Business or 100K for 1st class, but only in the Saver Award category (NOT Standard). And I have to wait until 331 days before our 1st travel date before we can book.

Any expertise out there as to whether I am barking up the right tree now, and whether we actually have a chance of being able to use our miles for this trip?

Thanks,

Steve

OK, I did a little more investigating this morning. It appears to me that as a United Mileage Plus member I can use my miles with United's Star Alliance partners for international travel (e.g. Lufthansa for both legs). If I understand what I think learned, I can trade in 80K miles for Business or 100K for 1st class, but only in the Saver Award category (NOT Standard). And I have to wait until 331 days before our 1st travel date before we can book.

Any expertise out there as to whether I am barking up the right tree now, and whether we actually have a chance of being able to use our miles for this trip?

Thanks,

Steve

Yes, Steve, you can use your miles on any Star Alliance partner. And yes, the Saver Awards mileages are correct. And yes, you have to wait until United RELEASES award inventory, which is USUALLY 330 days before your trip. But that is 330 days from your RETURN. You can put the outbound on hold (I think about 2 weeks, but I am not sure on United), then when inventory becomes available for inbound, you book.

The best chance you have for award tickets-early booking, creative itinerary, and willing to put up with a little hassle. Your chances DECREASE if you are looking for NONSTOPS only-SFO to East Coast gateway, then nonstop to European destination. Not saying you won't get those, but more realistic and more easily bookable-one stopper from SFO to East Coast gateway, over the pond to London or Germany, then another flight to your ultimate destination.

As I pointed out in previous posts in this thread, the phone call to the Mileage Plus desk is well worth the booking fee. You will have to pay taxes and sometimes fees (like Sept 11 security fee) on your award ticket, don't forget.

If you are not successful getting award tickets on the first try, keep calling back. You only get billed the booking fee upon booking.

Also, keep your eyes open for purchased tickets that you can upgrade. After Labor Day, until about Dec. 15 is one of the slower travel periods to Europe. Airlines usually reduce the fares considerably. Just make sure you book your fare in an "upgradable" class. AA allows almost all classes if you are elite; I don't know about United.

I find it a FAR better deal for US to use miles to upgrade to at least business class for those long flights. Just throwing out another option.

greatam, you have provided some great stuff, and this was just the type of feedback we were hoping to get. When the time comes, for sure I will call and do my actually booking by using a real person (in fact, I think is a requirement for using * Alliance members). Right now I'm just trying to get a realistic perspective of what to expect when I make that call (and to be able to both speak and understand the 'travel language'), as I am on a pretty steep learning curve. We've been hoarding miles for several years specifically for an opportunity like this, so I would hate to have to pay 'real money' and let all the miles go unused.

Thanks again,

Steve

calberry,

Here's an article with more helpful hints for your FF tickets. Some are outdated and some of little use, but some helpful.

http://www.smartertravel.com/advice/advtips/advice.php?id=339601

Yes, good stuff.

I would think we have a good chance to use our miles given;

1) Timing (late Sept. and mid-week both ways)

2) Flexibility; flight dates and/or itineraries.

3) Patience to keep calling after the 330 days start (daily if need be).

Now we just have to wait another 174 days before we hit the 330 mark.:mad:

(In five weeks we will be in Papeete waiting to board the PG on June 10th! So now I need to stop thinking about Europe and focus on FP) :) :D :p

Thanks again, ;)

Steve

• 5 months later...

My how time flys!

So we called UA last week, ~331 days prior to our hoped for 'outbound' travel date. There were flights available that we "could have" used our miles on (loved the Business Class non-stop from SFO to London), but the problem was that UA cannot 'hold' a flight that includes one of their 'partners' (Swiss Air) and we cannot officially book until the return date is open for booking. So we now have to wait until 331 days from our return date and call again (but most of you probably knew that already).

So the wait continues.

Steve

Archived