check in luggage requirements

debscruise

I know this question may have been posted before but didn't want to search too far into the threads. How much does the airports charge if you exceed the weight limit. I think my luggage weighs 60lbs. (it's a two week cruise and need the extra stuff:p )

This will vary by airline and by domestic and international. I'm sure you know this but you are typically able to check in two bags per person on most major US airlines with a max of 50 lbs. So, wasn't sure how many bags you have and if you can spread items out to avoid the cost. Most airlines publish the baggage rules on their web sites so I would check the sites first and if the rules are not available or crystal clear then I would recommend calling the airline directly.

Keith

Many airlines are also now being very strict with an upper limit of how much luggage they will accept (i.e. accpeting nothing over 70 lbs).

Once again, check with your specific airline for details as it does vary.

On another note, if you are flying a combination of domestic & international routes, the international limits are in effect for your whole itinerary.

Just in case you are flying internationally... we are flying British air to Europe which allows 2 bags (each may weigh total of 70 lbs) but we then have a connecting flight which only allows 1 bag (total of 44lbs).. the excess baggage charge is 8 Euros per kilo(2lbs) so if we have 1 bag of 50lbs the extra charge would be 24Euros which is about $40US.. I think. Make sure you know the baggage restrictions of the airline you're flying. We have been told that sometimes the excess fee can be $125.. depending on the airline!

Ciana

Just in case you are flying internationally... we are flying British air to Europe which allows 2 bags (each may weigh total of 70 lbs) but we then have a connecting flight which only allows 1 bag (total of 44lbs).. the excess baggage charge is 8 Euros per kilo(2lbs) so if we have 1 bag of 50lbs the extra charge would be 24Euros which is about $40US.. I think. Make sure you know the baggage restrictions of the airline you're flying. We have been told that sometimes the excess fee can be $125.. depending on the airline!

Ciana

I agree that you should always know the baggage limitations per airline. Be aware though that on some airlines the excess fee can be much higher than 125.00. All of this does vary by airline so it's good to know everything before you arrive at the airport.

Keith

Archived