specific question on which locks a ship might go through

creel5857

we are on westerdam Dec 8 full transit from SD to Ft L and was advised by travel agent it would most likely go through old locks (which we wanted) since this ship was sized to do so and since the prices for new locks were considerably more. Now I see on roll call that someone appears to know or think we are going through new locks. Is there anyway to know through any source which locks? So disappointed we might not get to see old locks as that was my husbands whole reason for wanting to go....anyone have any information or helpful comments??

For curiosity's sake I went looking for the roll call you mentioned and did not see it, the only Dec 8 Canal cruise only had 3 posters who did not mention anything about which locks. Would you happen to have a link to it, would like to see what they said.

I would almost wager a large sum of money the travel agent that said you would most likely use the old locks is absolutely correct. While there always be a set of circumstances that could somehow cosmically come together and the Westie could wind up going through the new locks, I don't see that likely happening and I don't think it would be an occurrence that would be scheduled this far in advance. There are a few reasons why the Westerdam will not use the new locks... While the Canal's new locks are not yet running at full capacity, there are a limited number of transit slots at the new locks available on a daily basis. The difference in tolls for the Westerdam to use the new locks over the old locks is insignificant. The difference would only be $20,000 more to go through the new locks if that were to occur... not really a deal breaker on a transit that already costs over $300,000. The bottom line is the Canal would rather save the limited transit slots at the new locks for a ship that can't use the old locks and would pay a substantially higher toll for a transit.

I am confidant you will get to enjoy the old (the good:D) locks!

thanks for your comment, what I saw was the comment where the poster under Dec 8 roll call said they had been through the old locks and was now looking forward to seeing the new locks ......sorry if I misunderstood......again thanks as I really hope we are going through old and it would appear it would be more feasible for HAL

You are welcome, don't think you misunderstood as I think that comment could have been taken more than one way. Don't know if you have a stop in Panama or not which would enable one to see some of the expansion from shore side. However even if you don't have a stop you still we be able to see some of the expansion from your ship as you transit. In the direction you are transiting after you pass under the Bridge of Americas you will be able to see the Pacific side's expansion locks of Cocoli on the port side before you get to Miraflores Locks. As you clear Miraflores Locks and crossing Miraflores Lake will be the Bourinquen Dam (port side) which was built to connect the Cocoli Locks with Gaillard Cut. Then after you clear Gatun Locks you will be able to get a good view of the Agua Clara Locks on the starboard side as you are headed to the breakwater on your way out of the Canal.

Again, I am confident that things will work they way you want!

The Crystal Symphony did an eastbound transit on May 10. She (and her sister Serenity) have marvelous webcams. This is a picture of the entrance to the new locks on the Pacific side (left of the picture).

Sym2_zpsqi6faoxn.jpg

From the Pedro Miguel lock you can see the new channel to the left:

Sym13_zpso8rvyad8.jpg