First 100 Minutes...Well maybe more

villagenut

First time cruiser walks onto the ship for the first time, now what? What are some suggestions on what to do, OR not do, within the first few hours on the ship.

Be sure to .....

Don't do this because.....

Pretty much open ended question, thanks in advance

Some like to eat, first thing. Others will tour the ship without the crowds that come later. Others head to the nearest bar and the pool! (I wear my swimsuit under my clothes, so I don't have to find somewhere to change, as cabins aren't ready until around 1pm). Others will check out the dining room and their table assignment...or make reservations for the "extras" offered (for fee, of course) by the cruise line...like excursions, or specialty restaurants. Some, who board after 1, simply take a nap!

There is no "right or wrong" way...do what suits YOU!

I would recommend looking at the ships deck plans on their website ahead of time to familiarize yourself with the dining rooms, your stateroom location, and the nearest lounge for your first welcome aboard drink. After locating said lounge and toasting to your first cruise, I would check my dining table location (if a traditional dining time is what you have chosen) and if you would prefer a different location see if the maitre d can accommodate you. They will be on site in the main dining room for that purpose on the boarding day.

Depending on how early you board - and I would recommend arriving at the terminal by about 10:00 AM as most ships start boarding at 11:00 or so - you will probably want to head to the buffet for lunch. By the time that is over your stateroom should be ready. So head there next, meet your stateroom attendant, drop of your carry on, and check on when and where your muster station is. There will be sign on the inside of your door identifying that.

After that, you'r on your own. Maybe head up to the pool deck and find a bar there......

Do familiarize yourself with the ship so you have an idea where you're going - the Lido, the main dining room, the theatre, etc. Do smile at the staff who are going to do their best to make your holiday a memorable one.

Unless you are on an all-inclusive, or have a beverage package, Don't take the drink in the fancy glass that is being offered, unless you plan on paying for it. They are not free.

Do go outside your comfort zone to try something new on a cruise - you'll make some great memories and likely have lots of fun in the process.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

We always do the same thing when we board: Go immediately to the topmost level of the ship ... and circle our way all the way to the lowest public level, seeing it all, reminding ourselves of the locations of things, making excited plans for what we want to do. We always board as early as possible, and it's fun to see the place before it gets crowded.

Typically we get on as soon as possible, and go have a bite to eat. If the room is not ready, we find a place to sit (don't want to drag out carry on bags around and read until the rooms are ready. When we get in the room, I like to unpack and get things organized if my bags are there. After we have put our bags down and unpacked, we start a ship tour. Then back to our cabin, and we relax a bit until time for muster. After muster, we get ready for dinner and then eat around 6. I always try to find where the free liquor tastings are and take advantage of that, in addition to whatever show there is. After the show I am usually ready for bed.

It depends on the ship. If we are cruising on Carnival, we always get the Faster to the Fun Passes and put our carry-on bags in the room. Sometimes we will even unpack them. Then we eat at the buffet. On other cruise lines, we usually head straight to the buffet before it gets crowded.

Then we start exploring the ship, deck by deck, until the room is ready. Once the room is ready, we put away our carry-on things and go back to exploring the ship. After the muster drill, we go back to the room and look at the list of things to do that evening. Then we will explore a little more before going to dinner.

Would depend on the ship to some degree in my mind, but in general we always knock out a few things (and very similar to the responses you've had already). 1) If you're hungry, go eat. The buffet will get more and more crowded quickly...so if you're on early, do that. And while the buffet is always busy, it feels craziest on that first day because people bring luggage and stuff with them, so it just feels so dang packed. It will not seem that bad later, so don't completely dismiss it. 2) Take a self-guided tour. If you're not overly burdened with stuff, this is a great way to explore the ship and get the lay of the land. 3) If you have specific needs, address them now: a) if you're on some kind of My Time Dining and haven't made reservations for dinner...do so. b) If you are interested in spa services, they're usually giving tours and putting on the full sales pitch. AVOID if you're not particularly interested, but do go if you are. c) If you have children you need to sign up for the kid's club...now is the time. d) If you have a beverage package, start using it. If not, but you want one, you can buy it. Most of the packages are available to buy now (dining, for example), if you want. d) Things are usually nuts at the guest services desk. If you have a serious problem, I suppose you need to get in line. If it's something minor...consider waiting until the next day. 4) If you're into hanging out in and around the pool, be sure you've got your swimsuit with you (or on you) before you board so you're ready to go.

Also, remember that you can't get your cabin until early afternoon. And your luggage may not arrive for up to several hours later. (6 pm is the latest we've experienced in 5 cruises). So plan accordingly.

The hours before the ship sails are so much fun, really. You get to see the ship and start planning in your mind all the fun things you're going to do. You're right to start thinking now about how you want to approach that time.

Firstly, we say 'WOW', smile at everyone and start exploring ship whilst quiet. May eat and usually have our first drink.

If children with us, visit clubs and sign them up.

Mooch around on deck and head for cabin.

Dont worry about dining table, buffet, swimming at this stage.

Love it.

If your stateroom is available upon boarding, immediately go there. Locate the Daily Program sheet that ought to be there, sit down, take a deep breath, and carefully read it. The purpose of this is to become aware of what is taking place "today" aboard the ship so that you don't miss on anything of interest. And, to find out the time, which may or may not be listed, on the Muster Drill. (Knowing that is helpful in planning that first day, I have found.) Even if your stateroom is not available upon boarding, there probably will be a Staff Member in that area who has those Daily Programs and can give you one.

Then, have lunch/drink or both.

Start at the top of the ship and give yourself a tour deck by deck. (Followed by another drink when you get to the lowest deck; you'll need it by then.)

The Program may list a ship's tour by a Staff Member and that would be a good event to consider as well.

At the risk of repeating some of the good suggestions already posted, here's what we try to do:

1) Familiarize yourself a bit with the deck plans of the ship you're boarding a day or two ahead of embarking

2) Arrive to board the ship as early as you reasonably can (waiting in a crush is no way to start any journey)

3) Find an early lunch - the MDR if available, just for the peace and quiet... but that's a personal choice

4) When the cabin is ready, drop off the carry on items

5) While you're there, note where your muster point is, and before you really settle in,

6) Wipe down the most likely sources of viruses/germs (phone keypad, receiver, remotes, switches, door/drawer/cabinet handles, faucets, etc) - Chlorox makes an unscented hydrogen peroxide wipe that'll cover almost all bases - even norovirus... I'm not OCD about it, but why risk losing cruise days to projectile vomiting?

7) Sit for a moment somewhere with a view, take a deep breath and note you're on vacation!

8) Take a walking tour around the ship and repeat #7 as necessary

9) If you have anytime dining perhaps make a reservation when you pass the MDR

Another suggestion is about the muster drill. Our experience has been that they will pack you in like sardines at your station. If you get there early, many stations will have seating so you don't have to stand elbow to elbow with the crowd.

Especially for those that are elderly, the muster drill can be incredibly uncomfortable standing around for some time.

Cruise Pier Arrival

Get to the cruise pier early around 10 to 10:30 am. This way you will beat the rush. The lines will be very short and the lido buffet restaurant on board will be much quieter too.

Make sure to tip the luggage porters at least $5 per bag if you have a lot.

You will proceed directly through security and then check-in where you will receive your cruise ID card which doubles as both your cabin key and credit card on board the ship.

Arrival on Board

Head directly to the Lido Deck. What ship are you cruising on. Look at the deck plans and find out what deck the lido is located. This is the ship's buffet restaurant. Grab some lunch here, relax.

Explore the Ship

After lunch one of the highlights of the first day on board is explore the ship. Start at the top and check out all of the bars, lounges, restaurants and interesting places on board. Usually by the time you're finished your cabin will be ready.

Cabins

Usually are available around 1 or 2 pm. The check-in rep will let you know. Make sure you check where your Muster Station is this is the safety drill that usually happens a half-an-hour before the ship leaves port.

Sail Away Party

After the Muster Drill head up to the top deck, grab a cocktail and get ready for the Sail Away.

Happy Cruising

Jonathan

We always do the same thing when we board: Go immediately to the topmost level of the ship ... and circle our way all the way to the lowest public level, seeing it all, reminding ourselves of the locations of things, making excited plans for what we want to do. We always board as early as possible, and it's fun to see the place before it gets crowded.

This is what we do too! We always get FTTF, so we drop off our bags in the cabin, then go up to the topmost deck and work our way down, taking pictures of all the public spaces before they fill up with people.

I usually go check out our room if it is ready. Normally the bags aren't there. Then have lunch. I have done it both ways put my swim suit under my clothes and also changed into them on the ship or I already have on a nice sundress so that I am comfortable. I like to familiarize myself with the ship. Go out each deck. When you walk on there you will be wanting to look at everything.