Restaurant near dock in Juneau

bakcd

This is not our first stop in Juneau but we would enjoy a nice dinner, salmon, while in port. I am hoping for recommendations near the port. We will probably do a tour of the glacier, a whale watch before returning to the port area for dinner. We have a 10:00pm departure from Juneau.

• 1 month later...

Yes, an easy flat walk. From the tram, which is the central point in downtown Juneau for vendors dropoff/pickups, it's about 1/3 mile north along the waterfront. Most ships will dock in this area.

Just a note about Alaska King Crab, I know you are in Alaska and everyone thinks it's the thing to eat. Well the AKC season is from Oct to Jan...there is no fresh AKC during the cruise season...it's all frozen. If in Alaska after the end of May fresh Dungeness crab should be available and my mind it trumps AKC any day of the week.

This is not our first stop in Juneau but we would enjoy a nice dinner, salmon, while in port. I am hoping for recommendations near the port. We will probably do a tour of the glacier, a whale watch before returning to the port area for dinner. We have a 10:00pm departure from Juneau.

The Twisted Fish and Hanger are run by the same company but are different in some respects. Twisted Fish is more current, with what I consider an overly loud decor (hard surfaces that amplify sound) and a more contemporary menu. I did see the menu was getting an updating this year, so I'll be interested to try it. The Hanger is that place where couples go to dinner after church in Ohio sort of restaurant. A hunk of meat, mashed potatoes and veg. I've never had anything bad there but when I'm planning a night out, it doesn't leap to mind.

For something different, there's Salt. It's run by the same management who does Tracy's Crab Shack. It's not cheap but it will be a unique dining experience. If your heart's set on salmon, I'd call and check that's on the offerings for the evening: http://www.saltalaska.com/ It's where locals go for a nice meal.

We ate at the Twisted fish last year food was excellent although the service was slow - it was fine; we had no where to go just needed a glass of water.

Will definitely go back there this year!

eclue:rolleyes:

• 1 year later...
Just a note about Alaska King Crab, I know you are in Alaska and everyone thinks it's the thing to eat. Well the AKC season is from Oct to Jan...there is no fresh AKC during the cruise season...it's all frozen. If in Alaska after the end of May fresh Dungeness crab should be available and my mind it trumps AKC any day of the week.

How does the fresh Dungeness crab compare to AKC?

We ate at Twisted Fish and all enjoyed our meals. Very convenient location, too.

Has anyone eaten at the top of the Tram? We're considering it for this visit. Although, I'm going to check out the Salt link and may have to add that to the list.

Agree, Dungeness is awesome!

We ate at Twisted Fish and all enjoyed our meals. Very convenient location, too.

Has anyone eaten at the top of the Tram? We're considering it for this visit. Although, I'm going to check out the Salt link and may have to add that to the list.

Agree, Dungeness is awesome!

I looked at the menu for the restaurant at the top of the tram. I don't think I saw Dungeness crab on it. If it's a clear evening and we have time I would love to do the tram. The view looks wonderful.

I have done the Tram and the view is awesome.

No mention by anyone of the Red Dog Saloon; not in the same league as the other dining locations mentioned? If not, is this a tourist dive or worth a visit just to say one has been there?

fresh Dungeness crab should be available and my mind it trumps AKC any day of the week.

Amen to that! Lots more flavor. Last year I started seeing fresh Dungeness in the store (cooked and ready to shell) about the middle of June. Curiously recently there were sales on it for $3.99/lb - about half normal - which I now suspect were maybe the last of the frozen from last season. :( Making room for the new season I suppose.

k
Amen to that! Lots more flavor. Last year I started seeing fresh Dungeness in the store (cooked and ready to shell) about the middle of June. Curiously recently there were sales on it for $3.99/lb - about half normal - which I now suspect were maybe the last of the frozen from last season. :( Making room for the new season I suppose.

I'm afraid we may a little early for Dungeness season. 😟

Another vote for Twisted Fish...simply delicious, especially the halibut. Wish I was there right now!