Where to find budget hotels in London, the most expensive city in the world?

dana r.

Is London the most expensive city to rent a room?

I've been looking for budget hotels, especially recommended budget ones, but they still strike me as expensive.

So far, the budget hotels I've found are charging $150 a night for a room and then additional 20% taxes and fees so its really $180 a night. Is this the expected baseline for renting from budget hotel in London?

I wanted to stay in London for about five or six days, but not at those prices unless I can find something less expensive.

I'll probably have to find something further away, but how far will be too far? The budget hotels that I was looking at aren't even in Central London, but in surrounding areas like Kensington and Victoria.

If I'm looking at a map of London's subway stations, what's the cutoff point for something that's too far? Something like East End around the Canary Wharf will be too far?

The only thing I've found that's closer are True Hotel and Studios2Let Serviced Apartments near King's Cross Station that are below $150. But, True Hotel will then charge you for everything- to clean the room, for the TV, for a towel, etc.. Its like the RyanAir Model for hotels.

And, isn't the King's Cross Station area kind of sketchy and dangerous?

That's not bad for central London areas.

However, I recommend you give Premier Inn a look over. That's the chain we tend to frequent when in the U.K. (and we like our comforts). Just type in London (nothing more specific) as the location, plus dates etc and it will give you a list of all the Premier Inns in and around London with pricing on one screen. You should be able to better your quotes above. Just find a location close to a tube/rail stop, and purchase a travel card for getting around.

The London Pass is also a really economical way of gaining entry to all the tourist places around London. You can choose how many days for it to be active.

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/standard-tube-map.pdf

(the tube map is not to scale, the areas I suggest are actually much closer to the centre than they appear on the map)

Consider, amongst others,

to the west, beyond Kensington to Earls Court (lots of Australian ex-pats), or Hammersmith

to the north-west, Shepherds Bush and Paddington. (Paddington is as close as Victoria, some sights walkable)

to the north, Kings Cross (had a seedy past, now re-developed and perfectly respectable) and Camden Town

to the east, Canary Wharf and the Isle of Dogs in general, or even closer to Tower Bridge, these areas for weekends (business district, cheap Fridays / Saturdays, expensive during the working week)

to the south, Elephant & Castle.

None of these areas are more than a 15-minute ride from the centre on "the tube" (subway), (or DLR - Docklands Light Railway for Canary Wharf), but do make sure your hotel is handy to a tube or DLR station. And a station that serves more than one line is obviously more convenient.

On a ho-ho route or feeder route is a plus but not essential.

https://www.theoriginaltour.com/media/2098/original-tour-map-from-30th-dec-hr.pdf

Accommodation in these areas is much more mixed, so be sure to check out independent reviews before booking. We use http://www.booking.com - their website provides stacks of info & photos, an accurate map which shows the subject hotel and nearby hotels, and plenty of genuine reviews - only those who've booked thru booking.com can review

And come back on this thread to quote any that interest you - we won't necessarily know the hotel but we can certainly advise on the area. On booking.com (and probably most other consolidation websites) most bookings can be cancelled penalty-free, so you can guarantee a short-list while you dig deeper.

Browse this website for more background on accommodation, and a lot of excellent logistical info

https://www.londontoolkit.com/

The most-pleasant areas further out, places like Richmond & Kew, Kingston upon Thames, Bromley, Woolwich, Hampstead, Harrow, are probably as expensive as more-central areas, but worth checking-out prices. Beyond the tube network you need to be handy to a railway station, but the service into central London is excellent and inexpensive if you travel after the commuter period.

My limited knowledge of renting a self-catering apartment for about a week is that unless you make good use of the self-catering rather than dining-out they don't offer a saving. And IMHO dining out is all part of the vacation experience

JB :)

A couple of years ago, we stayed 3 nights at the Hampton Inn (Hilton) in Croydon. It's right next to the East Croydon rail station. Although the rooms are small, it was modern, very affordable, free breakfast and very easy to use as a base for exploring. We bought the London pass with travel card and it was great.

Try Airbnb or Priceline Express Deals or bidding.

I've never tried Airbnb before, but I guess it would like the Studios2Let Serviced Apartments I'm looking at.

But, when John Bull talks about the importance of independent reviews for hotels, how do you sort out the reviews for Airbnbs? I was watching this video:

Around the 7:50 mark, it talks about how 95% of the reviews are 4.5 stars or above on a five star scale which makes their star rating system meaningless.

My limited knowledge of renting a self-catering apartment for about a week is that unless you make good use of the self-catering rather than dining-out they don't offer a saving. And IMHO dining out is all part of the vacation experience

How expensive is it dine out in London- not the fancy Michelin places, but everyday food? I'm assuming if its so expensive to rent a room, then eating out will be expensive too.

How expensive is it dine out in London- not the fancy Michelin places, but everyday food? I'm assuming if its so expensive to rent a room, then eating out will be expensive too.

There's such a huge range that it's hard to say. There are chain restaurants where you'd be looking at £20 per person for a couple of courses, upwards really. Fast food, it's about £6 a course, and that can be okay for a few meals. The pubs on the waterside are generally a good bet for something distinctive but affordable. Anything around a tourist attraction is going to be over-priced (eg fish and chips near the Tower of London.)

What do you like to eat?

Is London the most expensive city to rent a room?

I've been looking for budget hotels, especially recommended budget ones, but they still strike me as expensive.

So far, the budget hotels I've found are charging $150 a night for a room and then additional 20% taxes and fees so its really $180 a night. Is this the expected baseline for renting from budget hotel in London?

I wanted to stay in London for about five or six days, but not at those prices unless I can find something less expensive.

I'll probably have to find something further away, but how far will be too far? The budget hotels that I was looking at aren't even in Central London, but in surrounding areas like Kensington and Victoria.

If I'm looking at a map of London's subway stations, what's the cutoff point for something that's too far? Something like East End around the Canary Wharf will be too far?

The only thing I've found that's closer are True Hotel and Studios2Let Serviced Apartments near King's Cross Station that are below $150. But, True Hotel will then charge you for everything- to clean the room, for the TV, for a towel, etc.. Its like the RyanAir Model for hotels.

And, isn't the King's Cross Station area kind of sketchy and dangerous?

Even "everyday" food is not inexpensive - pub, curry, italian - whatever you fancy, (and price levels will vary here too) in/around popular places in Central London are pricey. Not much about London is inexpensive and don't forget the £ converts costs more in dollars.

But there are strategies to making it work - DO find an accommodation that included full breakfast and fill up - grab a piece of fruit if it's there for a snack later. If there's a Tesco Express near your hotel (assuming you decide to stay out of Central London) consider going in to buy some things that might be portable for lunch. Might not be a lot of options but there might be something. Fish and Chips - not generally that inexpensive either but you're getting it fresh made and BIG helping of fish - at least where I usually went.

You didn't mention the price range you are looking at spending per day - so it's a bit difficult to know what to recommend without an idea of what's expensive - it's different for everyone. London just IS expensive but out of NYC, Paris or London I'd say London is the most expensive hands down - (ONLY among these three - yes there are other expensive cities!) so I don't know if that offers some perspective. That said, I still think it can (and IS) visited on a budget. Don't expect much, but it's possible.

Also here are some links to try from Frommers Guides which I like:

http://www.frommers.com/deals/hotels/best-hotels-bets-in-london-on-a-budget

A whole book on the subject (again, not fancy!)

https://www.amazon.com/Frommers-London-Free-Dirt-Cheap/dp/0470683775

London restaurants on a budget, per Frommers:

https://www.amazon.com/Frommers-London-Free-Dirt-Cheap/dp/0470683775

Lonely Planet London for hotels/restaurants, all price ranges (to see a range):

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/england/london

Perhaps read through some of this and then get back to us with an idea of the price range. Then it would be easier to recommend places for you though there are some great ideas here already. I have stayed in the Paddington Area and I've also stayed out towards the East using the DLR - it's quick and easy but I liked the Paddington area more.

Hope to see you post again soon :)

DSLibrarian ~

Actually, London is relatively inexpensive for Americans right now—indeed, given the fall in the value of the pound relative to the dollar following the Brexit vote last summer, it's considerably less expensive to visit than New York City. At the moment, £1 costs only $1.25 (approximately), whereas at this time last year to took over $1.50 to buy £1. Last month, I stayed at a clean, modern, comfortable budget hotel in central London for literally $100 a night, whereas in January 2016 I paid close to $140 a night for a virtually identical room at the same hotel. (Note: The hotel price was quoted in pounds sterling; the aforementioned dollar amount was the amount on my U.S. credit card bill, converted by the credit card company at the going exchange rate.)

Most large hotel chains use "dynamic pricing," in which prices are set by computer algorithms and can vary from day to day based on supply and demand--pretty much the same pricing model used by airlines and cruise lines. So, shop around. By contrast, independent hotels generally charge a set price for their rooms, which usually varies according to the season.

Anyway... In my experience, it isn't necessary to seek a hotel on the outskirts of London in order to find an affordable room. Unless I'm staying with friends (in “non-tourist” areas of London), I generally prefer to stay in Bloomsbury, a delightful, reasonably central neighborhood that is chock a block with all sorts of budget hotels, and that has excellent bus and Underground routes to other parts of London.

If you want a B&B-style hotel in a Georgian townhouse, there are numerous such places on Gower Street and in Cartwright Gardens. (Note: Rooms in these hotels are usually quite small; amenities can vary.)

If you prefer a modern chain hotel, do check the Premier Inn website--they have a number of hotels in various areas of central London. Also look at Ibis, a very similar budget chain, and at Travelodge, which I gather is slightly more downmarket.

In my younger days, when I wasn't dossing down at the flat of a friend, I usually stayed in the old Georgian establishments; a few were quite elegant, while others were rather threadbare; they all had "character" of one sort or another that made them memorable. Nowadays, I tend to gravitate towards Premier Inn or Ibis, and have been quite satisfied on every occasion--their hotels have less character, perhaps, than the independent Georgian hotels, but you know that you'll get a clean, modern room with a comfortable bed and a basic standard of furnishing and amenities, including modern plumbing. I haven't ever stayed at a Travelodge hotel; I gather they're slightly more downmarket than Premier Inn and Ibis, but I wouldn't avoid them.

Having recommended Bloomsbury as a prime location for budget hotels, you could also look at King's Cross, Earl's Court, and Paddington, all of which have high concentrations of budget lodging. I believe hotel prices in those areas are usually less than in Bloomsbury, though the locations are not quite as central as Bloomsbury.

Finally... If you're still stumped, take a look at the London forum on Tripadvisor, where questions about budget lodging in London are asked and answered on an hourly basis, if not more frequently than that!

Eating out in London doesn't have to be as expensive as you might think.

First of all, as per the Captain's post, sterling is about 13% to 14% lower against the dollar following the Brexit vote. And even tho' that has pushed up the cost of some imported essential foodstuffs (such as wine ;)), foreign visitors will find the UK at least 10% cheaper overall than this time last year.

Whilst most central London restaurants do add a service charge (most outside London don't) by law that charge must be clearly displayed on the menu, and taxes must be included in the listed prices. There's no need to add a tip if a service charge has been levied. So there's not the big differences between advertised prices and actual costs that I see in the US.

BTW, something I never could understand - the price of wine in US shops is low compared to UK shops, but the price in US restaurants is much higher than in UK restaurants (esp after tax and service are added)

As in any city, food prices in tourist locations are high, or quality is poor, or both.

But there are lower-paid workers and budget back-packers in the city, and they don't eat in touristy establishments.

Even in the heart of the city there are decent cheap eats.

- Little cafes near rail stations and street markets.

- Or the historic little green huts at some taxi ranks. Primarily to serve cabbies - only cabbies are allowed inside, but anyone can buy from the takeaway hatch at the same seriously low prices.

https://www.timeout.com/london/blog/everything-you-need-to-know-about-cabmens-shelters-070516

- Pubs run by the Wetherspoon brewery are known for their low prices. Consequently not the best food but certainly good value. Importantly, they don't appear to load their prices in central London - they seem to be the same as elsewhere in the country. As with most pubs you find your own table and order at the bar. No "service" as such, thus no service charge - tho folks usually leave a pound or two. This one on Whitehall, a few steps from Trafalgar Square. https://www.zomato.com/london/the-lord-moon-of-the-mall-westminster/menu

- Pubs generally offer better value than restaurants, but not always.

- Some of the major supermarket chains have small outlets ( mentioned by Host Bonjour) which major on takeaway sandwiches & such, all at budget prices.in busy tourist areas. For example the Tesco Express opposite Big Ben by Westminster tube station, or the one on the corner of Trafalgar Square & Whitehall)

- If your accommodation is outside the central area, for instance if its in Earls Court or Kings Cross, restaurant prices are significantly lower.

One place you might look at is "Wombats" - a luxury hostel which is getting rave reviews. It's in Dock Street, London E1 about 5 mins from the Tower of London and handy for transport links and sightseeing. Its a chain found throughout Europe and eveytime I've passed it, it seems extremely busy and popular. Nice lounge and bar. I gather rates start about £60 per night. Might be worth a look.

Just thought of two more which could well come up with reasonable prices - have a look at these:-

Motel 1 , Minories ,London EC3. - modern, clean with great transport links and near the Tower. Very popular.

The Chamberlain, also in Minories,London EC3- slightly older fashioned Fullers Pub with excellent rooms and good food.

They are both worth a look.

What dates are you looking at? I am only staying one night pre-cruise and one night post cruise, but I found luxury hotels in perfect London locations for under $200.00 a night. I found plenty of options for the $150.00 range. I used hotels.com Make sure the setting is set that you are on the U.S. website.

Might I suggest that if you only want a snack at lunchtime you can get soup and a sandwich or a toasted sandwich or a sandwich at Marks and Spencer's restaurant, which is on Oxford Street on its main store - there is one opposite H and M store close to the Oxford St underground station. Prices are very reasonable and you can buy take away sandwiches in the large food hall in the main shop. Prices are no more expensive than in the suburbs. Marks and Spencer also have small food shops in main train stations where you can pick up sandwiches etc.

There are lots of take always where you can also eat such as 'EAT' which sell a range of sandwiches, soups hotspots and snacks as well as tasty breakfast items such as oatmeal and hot bacon rolls or poacheded eggs. Take a look at their menus on eat.co.uk

The big stores on Oxford St often have cafeterias serving hot food, which is reasonably priced.

And don't forget the many little pubs in London which often serve great food at reasonable prices.

Don't be afraid to book a hotel further out as the underground system is excellent, as are the buses. Just check how near any hotel is to a station.

Good luck in your search and I hope you have a great time in London. It's a wonderful and remarkable city to explore.

DSLibrarian ~

Most large hotel chains use "dynamic pricing," in which prices are set by computer algorithms and can vary from day to day based on supply and demand--pretty much the same pricing model used by airlines and cruise lines. So, shop around. By contrast, independent hotels generally charge a set price for their rooms, which usually varies according to the season.

I got hit by this dynamic pricing, where I was looking at a hotel but the price spiked up by almost $40 each night the next day when I was ready to book.

With dynamic pricing, is there a possibility the price will drop back down?

How early should you book a hotel room? Are hotel prices like airplane tickets, where you'll pay more if you book too early or at the last minute?

I still have a couple of months before London, but I almost feel that I should book a place since some of the hotels I've looked at already have no available rooms.

I got hit by this dynamic pricing, where I was looking at a hotel but the price spiked up by almost $40 each night the next day when I was ready to book.

How early should you book a hotel room? Are hotel prices like airplane tickets, where you'll pay more if you book too early or at the last minute?

I still have a couple of months before London, but I almost feel that I should book a place since some of the hotels I've looked at already have no available rooms.

I've actually found the prices to be much more reasonable than I was expecting, and less than we've paid to stay in NYC.

I was looking recently for our pre-cruise stay in July. As you are, I wasn't really sure about booking right now, especially since the best rates are usually non-refundable. What I did was book a room at a reasonable (to me) refundable rate so that we have a place locked in, and I because I can cancel it, I can continue to look. I ended up selecting the Park Grand London Kensington by the Earl's Court tube station; for three nights in a deluxe double, with breakfast for two for about $612, including taxes (standard room would have been less, but I wanted a bit more space). Now, I booked in GBP, because based on the current exchange rate, the price they quoted in U.S. dollars was almost $100 higher. So I suppose it will be a bit of a crapshoot to see if the exchange rate moves much between now and then, but I don't think it will change enough to make booking in GBP a mistake.

So I might recommend the same--book a rate you can cancel and then you have something, but you can continue to look.

dana r. (sorry I confused you with DSLibrarian earlier; don't know how that happened) ~

I'm no expert on dynamic pricing; it's just something I encounter and take notice of whenever I use travel-booking websites.

In my experience, prices can and often do drop at the last minute, if the hotel has vacant rooms that they want to fill. It's just a question of your own peace of mind--do you want to take a chance that something cheap and cheerful will turn up (which it well could), or do you feel the need to know where you'll be staying, and thus have something booked, well in advance? There are some booking websites that specialize in last-minute hotel rooms at cut-rate prices; not allowed to mention them here, but if you do an internet search on "last minute hotels London" or something like that, you'll find them. TripAdvisor (okay to mention, as it's part of the company that owns Cruise Critic) also aggregates a list of "last minute hotels in London" that have special price offers. You can always find someplace to stay, but it might not be a place that you would have chosen if you'd booked earlier when more choices were available.

But, in general, I'd be inclined to book a room in London sooner rather than later--certainly. I usually visit London in the off-season (not that there really is an "off season" in London) and always have a definite idea of where I want to stay (a "first choice" hotel, and several backups just in case), so this usually hasn't been as much of an issue for me.

(Digression: Years ago, in my impoverished student days, long before the invention of the internet, I'd usually show up in London without having booked a room. I'd just go from door to door in on a street that had a high concentration of cheap hotels until I found a vacancy. It's not something I'd do nowadays.)

By the way, re. the issue of taxes on hotel rooms: As John Bull mentioned earlier, in the UK, taxes are included in the quoted price, rather than added to a base price. However: U.S.-based travel websites (i.e., any of the big-name hotel/airline/cruise booking sites you're probably familiar with) that quote prices in dollars will then add taxes (plus a commission fee for the website itself) to the advertised base price when you actually book the hotel, per standard U.S. practice. Whenever I book a chain hotel in London from the U.S. (e.g., Premier Inn or Ibis/Novotel), I use that company's website and pay the price that is shown in the listing. (If I'm not mistaken, hotel chains usually match the lowest price shown on booking search engines.)

By the way, re. the issue of taxes on hotel rooms: As John Bull mentioned earlier, in the UK, taxes are included in the quoted price, rather than added to a base price. However: U.S.-based travel websites (i.e., any of the big-name hotel/airline/cruise booking sites you're probably familiar with) that quote prices in dollars will then add taxes (plus a commission fee for the website itself) to the advertised base price when you actually book the hotel, per standard U.S. practice. Whenever I book a chain hotel in London from the U.S. (e.g., Premier Inn or Ibis/Novotel), I use that company's website and pay the price that is shown in the listing. (If I'm not mistaken, hotel chains usually match the lowest price shown on booking search engines.)

I'm obliged, Captain.:)

That's what I've found when booking accommodation in the States.

Hadn't realised that US sites did the same with UK (and presumably European) accommodation, but I guess that makes sense cos it's what Americans are used to.

So best to check the small-print, to see if / what price add-ons.

I'm obliged, Captain.:)

That's what I've found when booking accommodation in the States.

Hadn't realised that US sites did the same with UK (and presumably European) accommodation, but I guess that makes sense cos it's what Americans are used to.

So best to check the small-print, to see if / what price add-ons.

You're welcome!

Yep, that's the way things work in the States.

As a test, and for my own amusement, I just went to one of the major hotel-booking sites and tried a dummy booking of a random hotel in London. For that hotel, the website touted a super-duper bargain room price of $76 U.S. When I pressed "Reserve," the resulting page showed a base price of $76.35 (okay, so their touted price was rounded down to the nearest dollar:D) plus tax of $15.27 (i.e, 20% of $76.35), for a total price of $91.62. Presumably that $91.62 is an automated "real-time" dollar conversion of whatever price the hotel is charging in pounds sterling.

You're welcome!

Yep, that's the way things work in the States.

As a test, and for my own amusement, I just went to one of the major hotel-booking sites and tried a dummy booking of a random hotel in London. For that hotel, the website touted a super-duper bargain room price of $76 U.S. When I pressed "Reserve," the resulting page showed a base price of $76.35 (okay, so their touted price was rounded down to the nearest dollar:D) plus tax of $15.27 (i.e, 20% of $76.35), for a total price of $91.62. Presumably that $91.62 is an automated "real-time" dollar conversion of whatever price the hotel is charging in pounds sterling.

One thing I learned some time ago when using consolidators was to set the price to the currency actually charged (normally the currency of the country in question), because the prices quoted in my own currency always seem to work on a slightly .............. lets call it "optimistic" .......... exchange rate. :rolleyes:

Have you looked at the London House Hotel? Granted, I was only looking for triple or quad family rooms but I consistently found them to be the best deal I could find in that category. We stayed there two years ago. A five minute walk to the Bayswater tube station. We were going to stay there again but opted for a two bedroom, three bath flat instead.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you John Bull for the mention as to easy food choices :)

Also to the OP, I've had some good success finding hotels in London using non-US booking sites - or just using the .co.uk versions. Prices of course will be quoted in £ but here's the rub - not all the properties promoted on the UK sites are ever even promoted in the US. I found a cozy, affordable place with the help of friends in Hampshire that via their Britain magazine, there was a place (I booked it and loved it) I'd not seen advertised ANYWHERE and I'd scoured just about every imaginable site/guide book etc. Upon arrival I noticed mostly european guests or others from within the UK - suited me fine as I enjoy all the more meeting fellow travelers not from home (well ALL travelers but you know.) At other times I booked while in the EU or UK and indeed found more properties that I did not recognize while searching from the US (though of course many I did know) and so this helped broaden the search and better still, my possibilities. There are generally always customer reviews on those sites and other ways to "vet" the properties (Google is your friend) so give it a shot.

I think - forgive me forgetting - an earlier poster mentioned Booking.com which is not a US site so they're ahead of me on this; I'm not revealing huge secrets but just hoping, like all the others here, to help you for sure enjoy London while not breaking the bank. It's possible - just requires resourcefulness but you're on that by posting and sharing here.

Keep us apprised of how your plans progress dana and don't forget about getting your Oyster Card and learning the tube before you go so as to get the most value of the transit and/or a London City Pass for attractions; it can be a worthwhile investment if the offerings suit your interests. However, know that there is plenty of great free things to do in London too though it's worth spending a few quid on attractions that are quintessential London. Don't trouble yourself with the tube until you know where you'll be situated in the city - then - it'll save you time and get you around easy and quick to maximize your holiday. Just walk whenever possible - it's picturesque in so so many places - need to be above ground in certain places!! :D

Have fun planning :)