Tipping at Brooklyn?

Hawaii136

when dropping luggage with the porters at Brooklyn cruise terminal, are we expected to tip them? If yes, how much. Our bags will weigh 25-30 lbs each.

Depends on what you are happy with.

Say $2 per bag and round up. Its your own personal decision and what you can afford.

I certainly would Tip the kerb side porters at Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. Unlike the guys at Southampton or ports elsewhere these guys are the most aggressive and rude folk I've ever had to encounter.

I'd be afraid if my luggage didn't find it's way onboard.

I've got quite use to it now, regularly travelling in and out of Brooklyn, however, not a good first impression for any newbies about to step foot on Cunard.

When I arrived at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal after a flight from the UK last November, I was on a Cunard coach transfer from JFK.

We were kept waiting, sat on the coach, whilst all our cases were retrieved from the luggage bays and loaded onto large trolleys. Only when this had been completed... were we allowed to leave the coach.

By time I got off, the guy pushing the last trolley was already half way to the terminal with no opportunity for me to tip him or even say "thank you".

Despite the fastest embarkation processing I think I've experienced, my cases were waiting for me when I got to my cabin :) .

When I arrived at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal after a flight from the UK last November, I was on a Cunard coach transfer from JFK.

We were kept waiting, sat on the coach, whilst all our cases were retrieved from the luggage bays and loaded onto large trolleys. Only when this had been completed... were we allowed to leave the coach.

By time I got off, the guy pushing the last trolley was already half way to the terminal with no opportunity for me to tip him or even say "thank you".

Despite the fastest embarkation processing I think I've experienced, my cases were waiting for me when I got to my cabin :) .

That has been my experience, too, Pepper. The people handling our luggage in Brooklyn have been all business and you have to be quick if you want to tip as they are quickly off to help the next person. I can only speak of my experience there. At Fort Lauderdale my experience was completely different having been told in no uncertain terms by the person placing the luggage onto the cart which was going onto a cruise ship that he was responsible for making sure the luggage got onto the ship. No room for misinterpreting that threat.

Edited by candle in the wind
Noticed error.

Thanks for everyone's reply.

I also realized that we will embark at Southampton for the return trip -

So any comments on tipping at Southampton?

There certainly isn't an expectation of tipping in my experience, but if you decide to give a small tip it will be accepted and appreciated.

M-AR

There certainly isn't an expectation of tipping in my experience, but if you decide to give a small tip it will be accepted and appreciated.

I suspect if you were to ask a porter off the job whether there was an expectation of tips, the answer would be different than you expect. It isn't as if they will dump your suitcases into the harbor, but yes - they DO expect tips. And they are appreciated.

The guys at the terminal at Brooklyn will remind you if you do not tip!

Regards John

John, there is a H U G E sign at the terminal that states "tipping is optional". Thirteen QM2 trips departing from Red Hook, and my observation was this: cars/cabs/buses pull up, and luggage is off-loaded, stacked up and collected by the stevedores and loaded on the ship. Most often, passengers do not stand by their luggage and wait for it to be loaded, so there is no opportunity on those occasions to tip stevedores, as has been mentioned.

Because I remain with our luggage as my husband parks the car in the lot, when a Stevedore collects my luggage, I tip him or her. (I know it's not necessary, but I feel more comfortable seeing my luggage loaded promptly and not left standing unattended at the terminal.)

So, don't tip if you don't feel comfortable doing so. Stevedores are aware that customs differ, and generally, they won't rely on tips from QM2 passengers. Ditto cab drivers. Or restaurateurs....

when dropping luggage with the porters at Brooklyn cruise terminal, are we expected to tip them? If yes, how much. Our bags will weigh 25-30 lbs each.

These guys earn over $75K(not including tips!!)You are under NO obligation to tip them. If your bags fail to reach your cabin, they can get fired. Trust me there is plenty of video, so these guys will do their job, tip or no tip. We tip depending on attitude & helpfulness. We didn't get luggage tags once & they were able to print them out & attach them to the bags. Normally we do tip about $2/bag

These guys earn over $75K(not including tips!!)You are under NO obligation to tip them. If your bags fail to reach your cabin, they can get fired. Trust me there is plenty of video, so these guys will do their job, tip or no tip. We tip depending on attitude & helpfulness. We didn't get luggage tags once & they were able to print them out & attach them to the bags. Normally we do tip about $2/bag

Quite right,Keith.

Just to mention that living on a $75K salary in NYC is a struggle, consider how much it costs to live in NYC. I know $75K sounds HUGE, but image supporting a family on that in NYC.

That has been my experience, too, Pepper. The people handling our luggage in Brooklyn have been all business and you have to be quick if you want to tip as they are quickly off to help the next person. I can only speak of my experience there. At Fort Lauderdale my experience was completely different having been told in no uncertain terms by the person placing the luggage onto the cart which was going onto a cruise ship that he was responsible for making sure the luggage got onto the ship. No room for misinterpreting that threat.

Love it.

I wonder what the onboard anti-tippers reaction would be there.

So I guess while we are in the British Isles we do not need to tip anyone. :)

Exactly. Its not customary here although I'm sure it is done in some circumstances. Exceptional service or an enjoyable personality maybe or perhaps if you are part of a social circle where its just the done thing.

Quite right,Keith.

Just to mention that living on a $75K salary in NYC is a struggle, consider how much it costs to live in NYC. I know $75K sounds HUGE, but image supporting a family on that in NYC.

True. It was meant for the average person. The income(not for porters)but baggage handlers is in most cases over $100K.

Yes, they ARE responsible for your luggage getting on to the ship. Failure to do so can/will result in termination(union or no union)Video cameras are everywhere, so trust me & saboteurs out there will get fired,.

I suspect if you were to ask a porter off the job whether there was an expectation of tips, the answer would be different than you expect. It isn't as if they will dump your suitcases into the harbor, but yes - they DO expect tips. And they are appreciated.

They do not expect tips, they move too fast anyway.

They do not expect tips, they move too fast anyway.

They don't expect tips from passengers from Countries know as non-tippers. And stevedores certainly have enough dignity not to hang about with their hand out - very similar to the staff on board QM2 who deliver our room service order. Either be prepared to tip, or not.

It's very important to tip, porters, tour guides drivers and waiters.

I usually tip $10 per suit case. If you have a lot of luggage perhaps $5. The porters will appreciate immensely, that's how they earn a living. Plus you will have peace of mind that your bags will make it on board.

Jonathan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

Do you have to use the porters or is there an option to bring your own bags on board?

Hi Pavovsky. Sure you can bring your own bags on board - as long as those bags fit through the screening machine. I've often carried my hand luggage on board, plus extra large handbag but I wouldn't dream of carrying my suitcases on board (and I can't think of a reason for doing so). -S.

These responses are amazing, I find that if you are courteous, most baggage handlers respond in kind. I have sailed from NYC and flown from the same many times in 40 years. I usually get to Red Hook by a hired car; when we pull up I secure a porter, hand him $5 per bag and thank him. Often he will tell me to make sure I have my documents- and my baggage arrives very promptly. Once arriving from a long trip with much luggage a porter took my bags , signaled me to follow him and he whisked me through Immigration past long lines. I don’t know why he did it but I was damned grateful and I tipped accordingly with thanks. He thanked me very much.

I am glad that there are men who are prepared to wallop often heavy luggage in extreme weather. It’s hard and physically demanding and work. These guys are not serfs, they are hard working.