White Hall Pass

LSibiglia

I have a question which is probably going to be stupid...We are taking our cruise starting June 29 and we will be in Skagway. I want to see White Hall Pass but I don't want to do it by train. You can't get off to take photos. The bus per person is 45 from what I found. Although if I rent a car, will I have to pay any additional fees to get into the park, to park the car or anything else. I am trying to see a lot. I am a photographer so taking pictures is my life. Please let me know. Also I will be in Juneau, Ketchikan and Vancouver. Before the cruise I will be doing off the beaten Path Tour. Anything I should see or do totally..

To let you know we are on a tight budget, we are the type who do not like group tours, we are active and healthy. I hate heights and he likes them. Please if anyone can recommend anything that would be great.

We rented a car from Avis last summer in Skagway and drove up the Klondike Highway to Emerald Lake, which is a little past Carcross, Yukon. It's a beautiful drive and you can stop at many places along the way. I would suggest purchasing Murray's Guide to guide the way. It's a $5.00 guide that you can print off his website which highlights all of the scenic spots. It is well worth it.

It is White Pass summit. But, this is hardly the highlight of the area, and photos from the train are actually excellent and superior as the road is less scenic.

NOT sure where you got some of your "information" but it is not accurate, there is NO "park fee", NO "parking fee". By road, you just pull over, simple. A rental car would offer you a Lot of photography opportunities. I too find Murray's Guide, "necessary".

As for your cruisetour- I again, suggest, you dump the included Denali tour, Princess gives refunds-- TAKE advantage of it, and get yourself on a shuttle bus. Hopefully you have 2 nights there at the Denali Princess? My min. distance in is Eielson. If you haven't, educate yourself on what Denali is all about, http://www.nps.gov/dena It would be well worth your while to go in twice, which can be done- IF YOU want to take advantage and make the effort in planning.

Hopefully you also have the Kenai Princess in your itinerary? Spending the money for a Kenai Fjords boat tour, is a photographer's dream, loaded with significant scenery and varied wildlife.

Archived