latex allergy

I have traveled in the past with a latex allergy however it has gotten worse. I love to cruise, and I am just wondering if all ships serve kiwi on board. Kiwi is a latex based fruit and deadly for those with latex allergies. I want to go on another cruise but need to find a RCCL ship without kiwi, or balloons. My allergy is air bourne so just being in the area of latex based fruits is enough to go into shock.

Edited by mercuryfan
added info

We've been on 8 RC ships and I'm pretty sure I've seen kiwi fruit in various forms on all of the ships. Sometimes balloons too. Plus, I wonder if some of the junk passengers hang on their doors might contain latex too?

Good Luck!

Sherri:)

My allergy is air bourne so just being in the area of latex based fruits is enough to go into shock.

Oh my goodness, so sorry to hear this. Well, kiwi is a more expensive fruit - RCI mostly offers melon (cantelope, honeydew, watermelon), and whole fruits at the buffet such as apples, oranges, and bananas. I have seen kiwi offered as a garnish on some desserts in the main dining room, and I may have seen it in a fruit trifle (not certain, though).

I know you will take the necessary precautions and I hope you can still enjoy cruising in the future.

Have you ever traveled with allergies that require an epi-pen? Any suggestions?

Yes, I always travel with an epi-pen. If your allergies are severe, I would bring two, just in case. Also bring plenty of Benadryl. Have you ever had a reaction from allergens in the air? I don't expect it would be nearly as severe as ingesting any amount of the substance. I would probably avoid all prepared fruits (eg only eat an apple that you can wash yourself).

I always tell the waiter I am allergic (to peanuts). If I am served something and it even looks like it still might have peanuts in it, I don't eat it. If I go to someone's party, I often do not eat many/any of the desserts because some people think that 'peanuts' does not equal 'peanut butter' :rolleyes:

There are lots of people here who post about severe allergies. Try putting 'peanuts' or 'allergies' in the search bar upper right corner and see what comes up.

btw there are balloons on the ships as well.

Edited by marci22

While they do use kiwi as a garnish in many dishes and desserts, I'd be more afraid of the latex gloves worn by the workers in the WJ as well as the food preparers. That's a really tough allergery to have.

While they do use kiwi as a garnish in many dishes and desserts, I'd be more afraid of the latex gloves worn by the workers in the WJ as well as the food preparers. That's a really tough allergery to have.

That was exactly what I was going to say! We are just off Monarch on Friday and I saw stateroom attendents, windjammer staff, maintenance people and many many other RC staffers wearing gloves, now they may or may not have been latex, but thats just not a chance I'd be willing to take with my life! I think you'd be hard pressed to find any kind of vacation spot these days where workers aren't using gloves. I work at Boston Market and we have latex gloves for handling raw foods...so basically everything gets touched with latex.

I think I remember kiwi also being in the fruit plates we've had from room service for breakfast in the mornings so it is definately around. In this case is asking them to leave it off enough? I'm not familiar enough with these allergies to know.

There is latex in the rubber of most underwear items including underpants and bras. I have a latex contact reaction but only in certain circumstances which I will not go into.

Surgically speaking, anyone with a latex allergy is operated on in the same room where latex has been used. They are scheduled as first surgeries of the day before the latex dust has been popped into the air from the latex gloves used by most surgeons. The do the vinyl only surgeries first.

Kiwi is not going to put particles into the air so it's unlikely you will have a problem being on the same ship with them. Almost any room you walk into, including every store you shop at, will have latex in some form. You just can't touch it or breath in actual particles which don't just jump into the air. Even band-aids are labeled as to whether or not they contain latex even in the packaging.

Mangoes and Spandex are also related to this allergy. I can eat a mango but not touch the skin. I wear jeans that are 100% cotton whenever possible or my legs turn red and feel like scales for a couple of weeks from the rubbing of the small amount of spandex in stretch jeans.

You do what you have to do or you live in a bubble. You can't expect the ship to ban kiwi fruit. Just ask them to not put it on your plate. Bring what you need just in case. Go on your cruise just as you walk into a store.

Gina

• Like 1

I am a nurse, and most hospital gloves in my area are now latex free...I dont know about food service gloves, although most of them look like vinyl (they look loose on the servers hands..because they dont contain that elastic material)

Kiwi has been in my fruit and on my desserts in the past...but not recently.

Yes, it is a difficult allergy..bring your epi pen...and I would make the medical staff aware of your allergy..just in case of emergency.

If someone is truly anaphylactic and extremely sensitive to common items, I don't think a cruise ship is the best place to be. The problem is, some severe reactions cannot be controlled with an epi-pen. In that case, the person would have to be hospitalized. On a land vacation, that's not too much of a problem; if you are 1000 miles out at sea, it could be bad. Only the individual knows how serious their condition is.

If someone is truly anaphylactic and extremely sensitive to common items, I don't think a cruise ship is the best place to be. The problem is, some severe reactions cannot be controlled with an epi-pen. In that case, the person would have to be hospitalized. On a land vacation, that's not too much of a problem; if you are 1000 miles out at sea, it could be bad. Only the individual knows how serious their condition is.

Probably not. There's no place like home. :)

Gina

Have you ever traveled with allergies that require an epi-pen? Any suggestions?

My wife does have a severe latex allergy that causes her to carry an epi pen and a portable breathing treatment machine and inhalers. We cruise all the time on all the different lines and she has never had any trouble or attacks. She is very careful what she eats and asks the staff before she eats it. She always informs our waiters in the MDR of her allergy. Just be careful and ask and if you don't feel comfortable leave it alone. The only draw back to cruising we have is that we will may never be able to do a new years eve cruise because of all the balloons that are dropped and subsequently popped at midnight.

I have traveled in the past with a latex allergy however it has gotten worse. I love to cruise, and I am just wondering if all ships serve kiwi on board. Kiwi is a latex based fruit and deadly for those with latex allergies. I want to go on another cruise but need to find a RCCL ship without kiwi, or balloons. My allergy is air bourne so just being in the area of latex based fruits is enough to go into shock.

You truly learn new things every day on here. I've been a nurse for over 15 years and never knew that the latex allergy extended to kiwis. Good to know. Thanks for the information and I hope your allergy won't prevent you from cruising!

You truly learn new things every day on here. I've been a nurse for over 15 years and never knew that the latex allergy extended to kiwis. Good to know. Thanks for the information and I hope your allergy won't prevent you from cruising!

I knew about bananas and kiwis but there are other foods as well. Everyone reacts differently. I'm highly allergic to some of the foods in that group, but I'm not allergic to latex.

"Latex allergies may also cross over into food groups. Or if you are already allergic to certain foods, you may be at high risk for developing a latex allergy.

The following foods can trigger a latex-like allergic reaction because the proteins in them mimic latex proteins as they break down in the body:

Banana fig kiwi peach grape celery papaya tomato nectarine avocado melon potato cherry rye strawberry wheat plum chestnut pineapple hazelnut"

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/latex-allergies?page=3

My allergy used to be contact. Now with repeat exposure it is airbourn. One open Strawberry kiwi juice or a cut open kiwi in the building can cause me to go into anaphalaxis shock. I carry up to two epi's at all times and have 2 extra everywhere I go. Once the proteins are exposed to the air. My body is able to recognize it at once.

I can't go into tire stores, furniture stores because they spray the furniture with latex to keep it clean. I have to order my fruits and vegetables from a garden share that is delivered once a week.

This allegry is really hard to avoid. I can't buy meats in the meat deptment unless they are wrapped in paper as the wrappers contain latex and the pads on the bottom of the meat container have latex.

Things I have learned with this allergy...

If you take insulin... I had to switch from humalog to novolog because of the latex content in the insulin stoppers in humalog. Novolog uses a different type of stopper. Latex in advhesives.

At the clinic... can't use the injectable pain relief or numbing solution used in some minor suguries due to latex content. Flu shots vial stoppers contains latex. They could not use 1/2 of the items they were supposed to due to latex content.

Rubber bands, pens with the rubber finger pads on them.

Elastic in clothes, underwear, spandex, fabrics can contain latex...

Matress at hotels and in the store may be sprayed with latex to help them maintain ease of cleaning. Have to call ahead to make sure items are safe.

Hidden latex in some glue sticks, tennis balls that are used on chairs and walkers to prevent stratching the floor are full or natural rubber latex that breaksdown and emits airbourn proteins into the air.

GUM did you know that many types of chewing gum have latex.

TSA - uses latex gloves... Bring your own and put signs up in hotel rooms and will put sign in luggage to ask them not to touch items with latex gloves.

I made the mistake of eating a piece of cake, did not realize the server had lifted the cake with a latex glove... Bad reaction, BAD REACTION

Living with this allergy, I am learning everyday.

Thanks for taking the time to educate me on this! I run a medical unit in a jail (odd profession, I know). We haven't had any inmates with latex allergies YET, but I'm sure eventually we will. Good to know all of this, so I can educate our staff!

(and, thanks for letting me semi-hijack your thread).

I am glad that I can help someone out... I had to find out the hard way. Spreading the word or information could maybe save someone's life. If I can help someone be more informed on this allergy perhaps we can avoid one more reaction in someone.

I hope you enjoy your cruise on Enchanetment, it was our 1st cruise and we absolutly loved the ship. It was smaller but everyone of the cruise staff knew our names by heart, even my 7 year old son. When we would walk down the hall to our cabin, the cabin steward if he was out and about would have our door open for us by the time we got to the room. Enjoy!