Great Stirrup Cay - Snorkeling equipment?

lacrosse fan

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

So if you get snorkeling equipment for the whole week you get it on the ship? Or on the private island?

I know that snorkeling excursions at other ports generally include the equipment -- but I know some people are germ freaks and prefer to have their own.

• 5 months later...

I Just got back from here (12/29) and thought I would add some notes from memory for people who search on this later on.

It is indeed $29 for mask, snorkel, fins and vest. This is a flat-out rip-off!!! Please buy your own stuff!! Go to Amazon and look at mask / snorkel packages.

GSC is very strict about wearing a vest if you snorkel. I didn’t bring one and had to rent one for $4.99.

Also, I did not bring my fins and kind of regretted it. The current was a tad strong and was a fight to get from one spot to another.

Also, I have been snorkeling for 20 years on and off and got some great advice two years ago. Snorkeling and scuba is all about how SLOW you can go, not about SPEED or covering a big area. If you just hover over a good section of coral you’ll be amazed at what comes back out to play after “they” think you left. All sorts of little fish, flounder, lobster, etc. will all reveal themselves to you so take it SLOW and you’ll see things you’ve never seen before.

GSC offers GREAT snorkeling from beach in front of the private cabanas. This is the beach to the far left as you look at the ocean Stay to the left of the beach in front of the cabanas and snorkel almost to the other beach (to your left looking at the ocean) for amazing fish. If you bring your own gear (and u should) you'll also need a vest or the life guards will stop you. Don't bother snorkeling towards the crowded beach area to the right, it's too busy and no nearly as many fish as staying to the left.

GSC is very strict about wearing a vest if you snorkel. I didn’t bring one and had to rent one for $4.99.

Also, I have been snorkeling for 20 years on and off and got some great advice two years ago. Snorkeling and scuba is all about how SLOW you can go, not about SPEED or covering a big area. If you just hover over a good section of coral you’ll be amazed at what comes back out to play after “they” think you left. All sorts of little fish, flounder, lobster, etc. will all reveal themselves to you so take it SLOW and you’ll see things you’ve never seen before.

GSC offers GREAT snorkeling from beach in front of the private cabanas. This is the beach to the far left as you look at the ocean Stay to the left of the beach in front of the cabanas and snorkel almost to the other beach (to your left looking at the ocean) for amazing fish. If you bring your own gear (and u should) you'll also need a vest or the life guards will stop you. Don't bother snorkeling towards the crowded beach area to the right, it's too busy and no nearly as many fish as staying to the left.

I wonder why they didn't enforce the life vest when we were there in March. I know I had read about it, but we never did get them while we were there and we have our own snorkel equipment. I don't actually recall anyone having vest on that day.

Thanks for the reminder about going slow, I try to do that but will get caught up in seeing a fish and start to follow it. I have floated and just watched for long periods of time and agree...a lot of sea life will come out if they think you are gone.

The last time I was there I seen sting rays and also a Lion Fish. It was beautiful and not in the area with all the coral/rocks. He was all by himself hiding under a pole that was out in the water that you would never expect to find anything there. It was a highlight of the day. I had never seen one before in the ocean.

Thanks for the info about snorkeling over in front of the cabanas. We didn't go over there last time and when we ever go back to GSC, I will definitely check it out.

Do you know if they have that beach done over there past the cabanas? I was thinking this was an "adult" beach. Is this right? We have a, now 4 year old, daughter that snorkels with us. Is anyone aloud over in front of the cabanas? Even if you aren't renting a cabana?

I really did not see the stingray section. I may have missed it when I walked in that general direction but would guess it's not open.

In terms of the vest, I was surprised. I was "caught" twice yet made it out the first time without getting caught.

The area in front of the cabanas is not private at all. The next beach spot over is done and it was really empty when we were there.

Seeing the Lion fish would be amazing!! I really hoped to see some sting rays but didn't. There were some sections where there were about 1,000 fish all stacked up. Very cool!

Edited by mikeyd

Seeing the Lion fish would be amazing!! I really hoped to see some sting rays but didn't. There were some sections where there were about 1,000 fish all stacked up. Very cool!

This is the Lion fish I managed to see that day. I took several pictures, but this was the only one that turned out any good since he was under this long tubing/pole thing.

IMG_1045-M.jpg

Regarding your statement..."1000 of fish stacked up"

Like this?

tumblr_mesmqzQjHi1r6e620o1_1280-e1355525464775.jpg

Can you imagine?

This is the Lion fish I managed to see that day. I took several pictures, but this was the only one that turned out any good since he was under this long tubing/pole thing.

IMG_1045-M.jpg

Regarding your statement..."1000 of fish stacked up"

Like this?

tumblr_mesmqzQjHi1r6e620o1_1280-e1355525464775.jpg

Can you imagine?

The stack of fish I saw was more thinned out out than that - that is impressive! The pic of the lion fish is incredible!

mitsugirly

did you see if the stingray area was open over on the side you were on.

When we went was in March. They had not even announced the stingray swim at the time we were there. Sorry :( We just happen to see a few stingrays swimming around close to shore when we first arrived.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Okay - I did a quick mark-up to the GSC map. The good snorkeling is shaded in red. Again, it's in front of the private cabanas and off to the left. PM or post here if you need more info.

Great map- thank you- sailing there in 2 weeks on the Gem...really looking forward to snorkeling and want to be sure to find a good spot- have my own gear except for a vest but for $5 I will rent one!

• 1 year later...

Has anybody had experience snorkelling on your own? We have our own equipment. But even if we can get ourselves to a good beach where we can just go right into the water and snorkel/swim, we can't figure out what we would do with our belongings. If we just leave our bags, towels, etc. on the beach, won't they get stolen?

What do other people do in general when snorkelling on your own without a guide to watch your stuff?

We will be in Georgetown (GC), Cozumel and GSC, and would like to make use of our snorkelling equipment without spending $$$$ each day on a "tour", but also can't afford to lose our belongings to theft when we go into the water.

Any help or suggestons are appreciated.