Don't Need Parking But Do Need A good place to stay in Charleston

glorya

We will be flying into Charleston before our cruise and need all the info we can get about a decent, reasonable place to stay with "hopefully" transport to/from airport and "possibly" to the pier. We will NOT have a car and will not have to worry about parking. Thank you for any info you can give us.

We will be flying into Charleston before our cruise and need all the info we can get about a decent, reasonable place to stay with "hopefully" transport to/from airport and "possibly" to the pier. We will NOT have a car and will not have to worry about parking. Thank you for any info you can give us.

When are you coming? Do you want to be downtown near the cruise port/tourist sites? Do you want to go to the beach (which is not near downtown with you have no car).

Will be happy to answer you questions: try this site for downtown hotels:

http://www.downtowncharlestonhotels.com/

We visited Charleston many years ago and it will be like we will be there for the first time it seems. We hope to be there at the end of May (still finalizing some travel arrangements). When we visited, we stayed in the "historic" area and that is all I recall so I really don't know if that is what is considered "downtown", etc. I don't know where the cruise port is in relation to that area. And we will not have a car. I definitely will use the link you supplied and thank you.

We visited Charleston many years ago and it will be like we will be there for the first time it seems. We hope to be there at the end of May (still finalizing some travel arrangements). When we visited, we stayed in the "historic" area and that is all I recall so I really don't know if that is what is considered "downtown", etc. I don't know where the cruise port is in relation to that area. And we will not have a car. I definitely will use the link you supplied and thank you.

The historic section is the same as the downtown area. For what you want that is the place to stay. The Charleston Place is top of the line:

http://www.charlestonplace.com/web/ocha/ocha_a2a_home.jsp

We stay there a least once a year even though downtown is about a 15 min. drive. If you can afford it the Club level is unbelievable and is basically all-inclusive... food/drinks basically all day. Call to book the club level as it is usually cheaper.

In Mt. Pleasant(across the harbor from downtown) is Charleston Harbor resort and Marina:

http://www.charlestonharborresort.com/

Very nice Hilton that has a ferry to downtown running all day. It has a "fake" beach with sand and could be the best of both worlds.

Those 2 I would highly recommend but they are the higher side.

There are many choices downtown and all will be within a very short cab ride to the cruise dock. Several are within walking distance if you luggage is light.

One note on cabs... ask for one that is NOT metered, but has a fixed price as you do not know how long you will be in line to drop of bags and yourself.

I know I am missing something so if you have more questions either post them here or email me: rentabob@bellsouth.net

Your answers were very concise, however, we don't frequent the higher end ... meaning, we are sort of "cheap" when it comes to staying at places for one or two nights (and maybe even longer ;) ) ... clean sheets and a safe neighborhood is what these two senior retirees are after. :) Thank you.

Your answers were very concise, however, we don't frequent the higher end ... meaning, we are sort of "cheap" when it comes to staying at places for one or two nights (and maybe even longer ;) ) ... clean sheets and a safe neighborhood is what these two senior retirees are after. :) Thank you.

Here is expedia historic hotels for May 24-26 (this is Memorial day weekend):

http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll?qscr=htfv&&itid=&itdx=&itty=&from=f&fmap=1&srow=0&lmap=&hlbl=0&hbfn=0&hwrq=EX01471AA7D2JGDC%24F3%2418%24D5%24B2%24F7%2418%24D5%24B22%2170%24DCg%245C%21H0%240A%21801000.z%24C5%240C%2460%2482%24C5%240C%240A%2190%243D0Ejfygsjx.Xemsnpfygo%242C.Fgvye.Xmsgnjom%242C.Vojypu.Fymypf.gi.Mkpsjxm%2180%240D0xemsnpfygo%242Cfx%216%24FF%21R010003%2190100020001011%218010%214%24FF&gobt=1&clvl=&plbl=0&wsds=&xofs=0&yofs=0&xctr=&e3skip=1&yctr=&mofx=&mofy=&altg=&ridp=&rfrr=-34062&phid=0&dlod=&ridc=6057948&samn=1&amna=2&sort=10&HOTAM_0_amid=&HOTAM_1_amid=&HOTAM_2_amid=&HOTAM_3_amid=&HOTAM_4_amid=&HOTAM_5_amid=&HOTAM_6_amid=&HOTAM_7_amid=&HOTAM_8_amid=&HOTAM_9_amid=&HOTAM_10_amid=&HOTAM_11_amid=&HOTAM_12_amid=&camn=13&date1=5%2F24%2F2008&date2=5%2F26%2F2008&chid=0&name=&star=0&rdct=1

Hotel 1 and 4 are a long walk thru some risky areas.. 7 & 9 are great and the cluster downtown is right in the middle of everything. You can see the prices.

You do not want a hotel in North Charleston, Goose Creek, Hanahan, Summerville. Mt. Pleasant is across the "bridge" from downtown, same with West Ashely. Folly Beach, Kiawaw, Seabrook and Isle of Palms are all barrier islands that are the "beach". Very nice to be on, but not close to anything else. If you pick out a hotel let me tell you about it.

Bob

After all your effort "bobsfamily" and advice, "we" didn't book our cruise after all. Now that doesn't mean "I" won't do it later in the year even though I know that is taking a chance with hurricane season; however, we have booked an all-inclusive at Punta Cana for mid May. I am still looking at reaching Bermuda ... but we will have to wait and see how our pocketbook holds out. I would like to keep this line of communication open for the future because you sure are a wonderful poster to offer your services, and I hope I can impose upon you if and when "I" book a cruise. Thank you.

After all your effort "bobsfamily" and advice, "we" didn't book our cruise after all. Now that doesn't mean "I" won't do it later in the year even though I know that is taking a chance with hurricane season; however, we have booked an all-inclusive at Punta Cana for mid May. I am still looking at reaching Bermuda ... but we will have to wait and see how our pocketbook holds out. I would like to keep this line of communication open for the future because you sure are a wonderful poster to offer your services, and I hope I can impose upon you if and when "I" book a cruise. Thank you.

No problem I check back every few days. The AI sounds fun... let me know how it goes.

Bob

• 1 month later...
No problem I check back every few days. The AI sounds fun... let me know how it goes.

Bob

All I can say, bobsfamily, is WOW! We stayed at the all inclusive Iberostar Bavaro in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. It was "almost" like a cruise with the exception that you didn't go port to port. Fabulous! I am already looking into a return. We have been on a number of Caribbean (east, west, southern)/Bermuda/Bahama cruises and couldn't make up our minds so opted for the all inclusive. Very happy with our choice. Too bad it wasn't longer (5 nights). Next time it will definitely be 7.

All I can say, bobsfamily, is WOW! We stayed at the all inclusive Iberostar Bavaro in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. It was "almost" like a cruise with the exception that you didn't go port to port. Fabulous! I am already looking into a return. We have been on a number of Caribbean (east, west, southern)/Bermuda/Bahama cruises and couldn't make up our minds so opted for the all inclusive. Very happy with our choice. Too bad it wasn't longer (5 nights). Next time it will definitely be 7.

Sounds wonderful... if you would like send me some info about it:

rentabob@bellsouth.net

Love to hear about new places to go and now that the kids are old enough we can sneak off on our own.

Archived