To add to the swim diaper confusion

JennyJenn

We recently returned from our holiday sailing on the Enchantment. Imagine my surprise when I was reading the cruise compass the afternoon of our embarkation while dd was napping when I got a text message from my husband who was touring the ship.

The text said: "They have a kiddie zone here that allows swim diapers!" I was considering I had JUST read in my handy dandy Cruise Compass that as per health regulations, NO swim diapers were allowed ANYWHERE.

So, after nap and mustering, we headed up to deck 9 to check out the pool area. Sure enough, there is a splash zone with this sign:

390.jpg

So, this splash zone is directly adjacent to the salt water pool that has a cordoned off area that seperates the 1ft depth from the 5ft depth. We found a pool attendant and asked about the sign. They did confirm that swim diapers were allowed in the splash zone AND the 1ft area separated from the 5ft area of the salt water pool.

The first day we docked in Key West, and my Dad and his girlfriend offered to take Abby for the day. They took her to the pool, and my Dad's girlfriend asked another pool attendant about being in both areas in a swim diaper and the pool attendant said yes.

Here are some pics of my DD enjoying the water on the Enchantment.

259.jpg

261.jpg

262.jpg

389.jpg

399.jpg

So they had part of that area without squirting water but just with water you could sit in. My son hates the squirting water. Go figure. :p

And looks like ships are learning. Maybe the ship was recently refurbished.

Not sure the last time it was refurbished---I'm assuming when they did the stretch on the Enchantment they added the splash zone and the 1ft area...not sure how long ago that was.

What a relief that she could enjoy the pool--if not, we would never have been able to even walk past a pool with her...she LOVES the water.

Not sure the last time it was refurbished---I'm assuming when they did the stretch on the Enchantment they added the splash zone and the 1ft area.

I believe all the ships in that class have the 1ft area attached to the deep end. I was on the Grandeur and it had the same setup minus the splash pool.

I think the diapers only pool is a great idea. However I can not believe that the pool attendent was correct in saying that diapers were allowed in the shallow area of the main pool. RCI follows the US Health Department policy on their ships and that policy "prohibits persons who are not toilet trained or use diapers, pull-ups or swimmers from using pools or whirlpools".

Don't get me wrong. I'm not "anti swim diaper". Personally I think the danger is overrated. A properly sanitized pool should prevent anyone from getting sick in the case of an accident. But I just can't see how RCI could get around the regulations. Besides,if it was OK to go into the 1ft section why wouldn't it be OK to go into the main section?

Do you have a picture of the sign for the main pool?

I believe all the ships in that class have the 1ft area attached to the deep end. I was on the Grandeur and it had the same setup minus the splash pool.

I think the diapers only pool is a great idea. However I can not believe that the pool attendent was correct in saying that diapers were allowed in the shallow area of the main pool. RCI follows the US Health Department policy on their ships and that policy "prohibits persons who are not toilet trained or use diapers, pull-ups or swimmers from using pools or whirlpools".

Don't get me wrong. I'm not "anti swim diaper". Personally I think the danger is overrated. A properly sanitized pool should prevent anyone from getting sick in the case of an accident. But I just can't see how RCI could get around the regulations. Besides,if it was OK to go into the 1ft section why wouldn't it be OK to go into the main section?

Do you have a picture of the sign for the main pool?

There were 2 signs--one of which was between the two areas--as they were adjacent to each other. I agree with you--it's bizarre--especially since all of the cruise compass' say NO diapers of any kind in ANY area.

• 5 years later...
I realize this is a very old post. Are swim diapers allowed in the splash area on Enchantment and Grandeur or has this policy changed?

No, sorry - I have been on both Enchantment (twice) and Grandeur since this and although we were excited back in 2008 when this sign first emerged - it was short lived because they went back onboard and changed it :(

The sign now says "No infant in diapers. children must be potty trained"

And Grandeur doesn't have that squirting water - it just has the shallow water that connects to the main pool.

So as it stands TODAY - Freedom and Oasis class ships only for the Infant Splash Zones :D

:( Oh this is disappointing - I asked yesterday about Enchantments "splash zone" (round colorful fountain pool) over on the RCCL board and was told that YES, swim diapers allowed in there just not in the main pools or the shallow pool.

Has anyone been on enchantment recently? We sail on Monday and I'd like to let the family we are sailing with know for sure. Thanks.

:( Oh this is disappointing - I asked yesterday about Enchantments "splash zone" (round colorful fountain pool) over on the RCCL board and was told that YES, swim diapers allowed in there just not in the main pools or the shallow pool.

Has anyone been on enchantment recently? We sail on Monday and I'd like to let the family we are sailing with know for sure.

Well, they are not allowed there in swim diapers. There are many people who give crazy and inaccurate information on these boards, and along with the "yes" answers you received in your other thread, you also got "no" answers. Why not try looking at RCCI's webpage:

Please note: Due to public health regulations, children in diapers, swim diapers, pull-ups or who are not COMPLETELY toilet trained are not allowed in the pools, whirlpools or H2O zone. Children in diapers or who are not toilet trained may use the Baby Splash Zone specially designated for them on the Freedom of the Seas®, Liberty of the Seas®, Independence of the Seas®, Oasis of the SeasSM and Allure of the SeasSM.

I am so glad someone pointed out how old this thread was! We just left Enchantment this morning and did not see the sign posted above. Instead, they have a big sign right next to this splash area that says no swim diapers. It wasn't a big loss for my daughter, because it was too hot on the days she could have used it, but I found it kind of odd.

The nursery area with toys was great for her, at least!

I am so glad someone pointed out how old this thread was! We just left Enchantment this morning and did not see the sign posted above. Instead, they have a big sign right next to this splash area that says no swim diapers. It wasn't a big loss for my daughter, because it was too hot on the days she could have used it, but I found it kind of odd.

The nursery area with toys was great for her, at least!

Yep - then that's the sign we saw last year when we cruised her. LOVED that ship! Really hate to see her go to Florida :(

Welcome back!

We are looking into the Gem in November, and are trying to figure out if our 17 month old who will still be in diapers will be allowed in the little kiddie pool area. Hmm.

There will be a sign stating that she is not allowed, and I'm guessing there will be kids in there with swim diapers, who's parents chose to ignore the sign (at least that was the case on the Jewel). No NCL ships allow swim diapers.

We are looking into the Gem in November, and are trying to figure out if our 17 month old who will still be in diapers will be allowed in the little kiddie pool area. Hmm.

Agree, no swim diapers allowed on NCL:

Guests must be fully toilet trained to enter the pools or hot tubs. Therefore, guests in diapers, pull-ups or swimmers may not use the pools or hot tubs, even if accompanied by a parent or adult guardian. United States Public health ( U.S.P.H. ) regulations prohibit diapers of any kind, including those marked as “swimmers,” in the swimming pools or hot tubs.

And here's an even stranger one: after years of seeing diapered kids in pools on both Carnival and RCCL and the staff not saying a word about it despite the signs, last week on Allure, my 4 YO was running all over the H20 zone, and paused for a moment in the (empty) baby splash pool. An attendant came over right away and asked her to leave that area because she was NOT wearing a diaper, and explained that the area was only for babies! Not that I minded (was just as happy that she not be exposed to whatever is in there), but I just thought it was ironic...

And here's an even stranger one: after years of seeing diapered kids in pools on both Carnival and RCCL and the staff not saying a word about it despite the signs, last week on Allure, my 4 YO was running all over the H20 zone, and paused for a moment in the (empty) baby splash pool. An attendant came over right away and asked her to leave that area because she was NOT wearing a diaper, and explained that the area was only for babies! Not that I minded (was just as happy that she not be exposed to whatever is in there), but I just thought it was ironic...

Actually - yes, the deck patrol on Freedom and Oasis class will kick children OUT of the infant splash zones for not wearing a diaper ;) I learned this 6 years ago when my daughter was 3 (and potty trained/no diaper) and was blowing bubbles for the babies in the baby splash zone on Freedom. In the beginning I was like you - asking why - but came to understand as you are that they were trying to protect her from the stuff in that water :)

Fast forward a few years and to answer the question about NCL GEM - I know the rules on Gem are NO diapers in the elephant paddle pool - here's the sign

027.jpg

HOWEVER - and this was our experience not just on Gem, but seen on Jewel and Epic. When we were on Gem - we were in the main pool (hanging by the slide) when a crew member came by and told a mom with a baby in a diaper that she couldn't have him THERE but she COULD "take him to the children's pool". I talked to the mom and told her that the crew member was totally wrong and that the baby wasn't suppose to be in either because it could be dangerous for her own baby because it wasn't filtered for babies in diapers. But - hey - she could do what she wanted. She was really nice and obviously was getting conflicted info.

But here is that pool and yes - the mom was directed to go here.

123.jpg

Actually - yes, the deck patrol on Freedom and Oasis class will kick children OUT of the infant splash zones for not wearing a diaper ;) I learned this 6 years ago when my daughter was 3 (and potty trained/no diaper) and was blowing bubbles for the babies in the baby splash zone on Freedom. In the beginning I was like you - asking why - but came to understand as you are that they were trying to protect her from the stuff in that water :)

Fast forward a few years and to answer the question about NCL GEM - I know the rules on Gem are NO diapers in the elephant paddle pool - here's the sign

027.jpg

HOWEVER - and this was our experience not just on Gem, but seen on Jewel and Epic. When we were on Gem - we were in the main pool (hanging by the slide) when a crew member came by and told a mom with a baby in a diaper that she couldn't have him THERE but she COULD "take him to the children's pool". I talked to the mom and told her that the crew member was totally wrong and that the baby wasn't suppose to be in either because it could be dangerous for her own baby because it wasn't filtered for babies in diapers. But - hey - she could do what she wanted. She was really nice and obviously was getting conflicted info.

But here is that pool and yes - the mom was directed to go here.

123.jpg

I can't see on that sign where it says no diapers... If they wanted to enforce the rule you think they'd make it more obvious.

For those who don't understand about the no swim diaper in the pools rule (I'm not talking about splash pools, etc., but the rest of the pools): if there's just one accident, that pool needs to be drained and cleaned carefully. This is not a quick process so it means that passengers would be without the use of that pool.

I'm just trying to point out that RC signs seem very easy to read and obvious.

The NCL sign seems much less easy to read.

On a separate note I'm not sure what the draw is to bringing baby's into the main pool. My son isn't really into the big pool thing anyways and man wouldn't it be embarrassing if the whole pool was shut just because of us! To each their own I guess.

Archived