Shame on you Chip Romero!

WOW

I think there is a completely LOGICAL explanation for this. NO INTENT to harm or disappoint a child. Was the child too old, too tall, or too smart? Was another child promised to be allowed in the act (maybe this child is living a fantasy and is sick and his parents pre-arranged this). Maybe the other child is related to the magician. The list could go on and on forever. I don't think the magician tried to hurt a child, embarrass him, or any bad intent.

There would be a completely logical explanation. I just cant imagine of the long list of things that could go wrong on a cruise this would even be on the radar.

Its magic. Its a show. Everything is done for a REASON. If anything the OP is the one that needs to apologize to the magician for such reckless accusations.

I really am shocked at the length some think this guy really wanted to hurt a child in the audience for laughs.

Edited by david_sobe

How DARE a child experience disappointment! I would have looked at my child and said, "Well that's a bummer", and it would have been done, whether he wanted it to be or not.

Well, your language would have been better than mine as I would have said "what an a--hole". I was used as a dupe when I was 24 and I can tell you it does hurt. And I still think the "comedian" who abused me for laughs is a jerk who hopefully got fleas in his armpits...

Anyway, if my child was still upset after we agreed the guy was a jerk we would have left...

This could very well be what happened but for a moment lets have a look at this from the perspective of an 8 year old.

The magician asks for volunteers and this 8 year old child raises his hand and is called upon. The child believes they have been chosen, answers the question about their age and moves toward the stage. The magician makes his Forrest Gump reference to indicate the child is not the chosen one, audience laughs and magician moves on to another child.

How does the 8 year old perceive the situation? Yes the child was likely disappointed that he was not chosen as he thought but also embarrassed and humiliated as everyone laughed. Can an 8 year old decipher why the audience laughed? It is likely that they did not even understand the movie reference and just thought the audience was laughing at them.

I doubt the magician was making a joke about children with special needs but simply just quoting a line from a movie. The OP, being close to a special needs child might have been more sensitive to the comment but it also quite possible they have been witness to this very type of slight. As brilliant as the movie was and all the wonderful quotes that can be found within it, when someone calls someone else Forrest Gump it is not usually a compliment.

I can completely understand why the OP would feel what transpired was inappropriate. I also believe that any offense taken was not intentional by the performer. Kudos to NCL for reaching out and wanting to address the issue.

Rochelle

Hi Rochelle. I had decided to opt out if any further comments as this thread has become ridiculous. Mostly from posters who just like to be contrary no matter what the topic, and they don't deserve a response. I'm also speechless over the poster that suggested I be the one to apologize for my "accusations".

But I must address your post as it's so extremely well put. I clearly didn't state it as well but you were able to put into words my feelings exactly. Thank you so much for taking the time and validating my feelings. I was beginning to wonder. :-)

I will respond via the provided email to the post by NCL, who clearly also realizes there is validity to my concerns, as I've never seen a reply to a post by NCL before. I would be happy to message you any reply I receive if you're interested.

Thanks again, I truly appreciate you!

Meredith

Dear @CruisingWithTommy, We are sorry to hear about this experience. We will share your comments with our Entertainment Team and Norwegian Gem’s Hotel Director.

If you’d like to send an email, please send it to publicrelations@ncl.com.

Thank you for sailing with us and for taking the time to bring this to our attention.

Wow...

Great response!

Probably, I would have gone to guest services, to have the situation addressed while I was aboard. They might have been able to have the performer change his act, so that no other child's feelings would be hurt.

Calling a child Forest Gump------not too smart in my book.

Hey guys, Forrest Gump was a great movie.

Also, how you interpret a situation and how I interpret it are probably going to be different. That's how opinions work. That doesn't make yours wrong. That doesn't make mine wrong. Opinions, by their nature, can't be wrong, because they're opinions. Everybody's got one and everyone is entitled to their own. I, personally, wouldn't be as offended as the OP if in this situation (or maybe at all...who knows without being in her shoes). But that doesn't make her wrong for it. If we all shared the same opinions, morals and ideals, the world would be pretty boring...and regardless of yours, that doesn't make anyone else wrong for having their own.

Also, how you interpret a situation and how I interpret it are probably going to be different. That's how opinions work. That doesn't make yours wrong. That doesn't make mine wrong. Opinions, by their nature, can't be wrong, because they're opinions. Everybody's got one and everyone is entitled to their own. I, personally, wouldn't be as offended as the OP if in this situation (or maybe at all...who knows without being in her shoes). But that doesn't make her wrong for it. If we all shared the same opinions, morals and ideals, the world would be pretty boring...and regardless of yours, that doesn't make anyone else wrong for having their own.

Thank you for so clearly teaching us all how opinions work I never would have gotten that without your post.:p

Thank you for so clearly teaching us all how opinions work I never would have gotten that without your post.:p

Seeing as this is your first contribution to this thread (and I use that term lightly), clearly I wasn't speaking or referring to you... :p

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone! It's just not sitting right with me, and I didn't want to give that man anymore of my time or attention by addressing this on our cruise. But if this is part of his "act", I think it should be taken out. I will write an email to corporate, and update all on the outcome.

I agree with you. A child should not be treated this way. If Tony Winkler was your Hotel Director, a complaint to him would have yielded an apology and change.

2. When your 8 year old answered the question of how old he was, did Chip say "come on up" or did the 8 year old just start going up? Seems if it was the latter, then why get all bent out of shape?

I was thinking the same thing. The OP said her son attempted to go up on stage, but didn't say he was invited to go up on the stage. Seems like the little guy jumped the gun, when he was asked how old he was. I don't think this was a "joke" in the performers show, just his way of stopping the boy from going up on stage to be embarrassed when told he was not picked and he would have had to get down from the stage in front of the audience. I realize that everyone want's their child to be picked and, yes, there is disappointment when not picked, but it happens in everyday life. We all want to be picked first for the softball team, but in the end, someone is always last...it is a life lesson. Edited by NLH Arizona

Sure they can. If an opinion is contrary to a fact, then the opinion is wrong.

And you are entitled to that opinion...

It's 95 degrees outside here right now. It's a fact that it's hot. However, I've visited a desert in Africa before, so it's my opinion that what we have here outside is not hot.

Edited by BrentD

Not if their 'opinion' is about how they feel about something. How people feel about something can not be classified into right or wrong. The OP relayed how she and her son felt in the situation...those are her 'facts' and unless someone is walking in her shoes they cannot really know any different

Meredith,

Drop me a line anytime. You can find my email below.

Rochelle

I was thinking the same thing. The OP said her son attempted to go up on stage, but didn't say he was invited to go up on the stage. Seems like the little guy jumped the gun, when he was asked how old he was. I don't think this was a "joke" in the performers show, just his way of stopping the boy from going up on stage to be embarrassed when told he was not picked and he would have had to get down from the stage in front of the audience. I realize that everyone want's their child to be picked and, yes, there is disappointment when not picked, but it happens in everyday life. We all want to be picked first for the softball team, but in the end, someone is always last...it is a life lesson.

This is not about not being picked. My son clearly misunderstood and then he was compared to someone who is MR. You think that was an attempt to not embarrass him? He could/should have said, "sorry kid, not this time". Would have been much more appropriate. Not been made a joke out of. A performer on a family ship should know how to handle situation like this better. If he's still there in the future, I'm certain that now he will.

And you are entitled to that opinion...

It's 95 degrees outside here right now. It's a fact that it's hot. However, I've visited a desert in Africa before, so it's my opinion that what we have here outside is not hot.

Right but you are talking about how you feel. If your opinion was that 95 degrees is hotter than 96 degrees, your opinion would be wrong.

Not if their 'opinion' is about how they feel about something. How people feel about something can not be classified into right or wrong. The OP relayed how she and her son felt in the situation...those are her 'facts' and unless someone is walking in her shoes they cannot really know any different

Which is why I said that if the opinion is contrary to a fact. You are talking about how someone feels. That's not a fact based opinion.

Right but you are talking about how you feel. If your opinion was that 95 degrees is hotter than 96 degrees, your opinion would be wrong.

You don't have opinions about facts, then. Logically, one would not be voicing an opinion about a fact. Regardless of that, it has nothing to do with this thread where many folks seem to be telling the OP that her opinion is wrong.

This is not about not being picked. My son clearly misunderstood and then he was compared to someone who is MR. You think that was an attempt to not embarrass him? He could/should have said, "sorry kid, not this time". Would have been much more appropriate. Not been made a joke out of. A performer on a family ship should know how to handle situation like this better. If he's still there in the future, I'm certain that now he will.

Because a comedian might lose his job over trying to be funny... Yeah right. At 8, I don't think my kids would've gotten the forest gump reference, and if they did, they would laugh it off (lots of kids here - makes for some thick skins).

Forrest Gump was a hero. Some of these kids would be wise to live like that character. I can only hope my son can run like Forrest, and when he can, I hope someone compares his effort and enthusiasm to that of Forrest. And when he gets his feelings hurt, I can only hope I've taught him how to cope without mommy having to jump in and save the day.

You don't have opinions about facts, then. Logically, one would not be voicing an opinion about a fact. Regardless of that, it has nothing to do with this thread where many folks seem to be telling the OP that her opinion is wrong.

The OP has a history on CC of posting about the entitlement of her son. Some of us take this with a grain of salt because of other experiences.

Edited by LrgPizza

I think it would have been more embarrassing for your son, if had run up on the stage and then told to go back. I don't think the performer made a joke out of it, I think he tried some levity to resolve the issue, which I'm sure isn't an everyday event that a child automatically attempts to go up on stage without being invited to do so. What one feels is appropriate, isn't always how others feel. I certainly hope that this doesn't become an issue for the performer, because the next time a child attempts to go up on stage without being invited, the performer will probably wait until he is on stage and then tell him he was not picked, humiliating the child, because the child has to walk back down to his seat in front of the whole audience.....even with a apology, in the end it will be the child who will feel the pain of walking back to his seat, while the audience responds to the situation.

Edited by NLH Arizona

We all want to be picked first for the softball team, but in the end, someone is always last...it is a life lesson.

Not someone. Me. I'm always last, for the softball team. :o

Stephen