Breakaway Diverted!

jfried8

Is it possible to have the reverse happen to me for my October cruise? If a hurricane is a brewin over Florida, could we possibly go to Bermuda instead, resulting in higher port fees, which we did not agree to when booking. I'm sure that's in the fine print too....my point was just having to pay higher port fees.

Edit: and my asking about the higher port fees is so that I can plan ahead, not dispute the extra charge. I keep reading that bermuda is such a beautiful place and I'd love to go there!

We were lucky enough to have Hurricane Arthur divert us TO Bermuda last month. We were supposed to go to St John NB over the 4th of July holiday on the Carnival Splendor but ended up in Bermuda for one day instead. We were surprised that we got a small port fee refund as OBC. I never would have thought that St John's port fees are even more than Bermuda's but they are. :) AFAIK, we were the only ones with an altered itinerary because of Arthur. It worked out great for us because I picked up brochures and extra bus and ferry schedules for us and for others that are going to Bermuda with us next month. :)

Edited by peg013

We were lucky enough to have Hurricane Arthur divert us TO Bermuda last month. We were supposed to go to St John NB over the 4th of July holiday on the Carnival Splendor but ended up in Bermuda for one day instead. We were surprised that we got a small port fee refund as OBC. I never would have thought that St John's port fees are even more than Bermuda's but they are. :) AFAIK, we were the only ones with an altered itinerary because of Arthur. It worked out great for us because I picked up brochures and extra bus and ferry schedules for us and for others that are going to Bermuda with us next month. :)

Or, you might get New England and the Maritimes next month. :rolleyes: pack with caution.

Or, you might get New England and the Maritimes next month. :rolleyes: pack with caution.

Exactly what I've been dreading for my upcoming cruise. This is the latest I have sailed during hurricane season and I know a cruise is a cruise, but there is a difference being diverted to another warm weather port and going north to Canada.

:eek:

wasiii

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Where we are from New England, my kids will be pissed if for some reason the Gem gets diverted to the NE/Canada run next week. My DD is dreaming about Atlantis, not foliage.

I'd be happy no matter where we went! I see booking during hurricane season as a potential opportunity for adventure!

Hmmmm! I thought about that happening but didn't think about clothes! :eek: because we'll be leaving out of NYC and because evenings (And Air-conditioning! :eek:) can be chilly, we are already planning on some cooler weather clothes but, you're right, based on weather, as we get closer, I will make sure we are prepared! Thanks for pointing that out!

Exactly what I've been dreading for my upcoming cruise. This is the latest I have sailed during hurricane season and I know a cruise is a cruise, but there is a difference being diverted to another warm weather port and going north to Canada.

:eek:

wasiii

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Yes! Exactly! We were looking to extend the summer! I'm looking forward to warm weather and my girls seeing the beautiful blue Carribean water!

But, yes, I agree....a cruise is still a cruise.

Where we are from New England, my kids will be pissed if for some reason the Gem gets diverted to the NE/Canada run next week. My DD is dreaming about Atlantis, not foliage.

I'd be happy no matter where we went! I see booking during hurricane season as a potential opportunity for adventure!

Agreed! This could become such an interesting adventure! Actually, seeing foliage may show us something we would never choose on our own! Plus, we paid for the haven. Cooler weather may = more time in our suite. And we can still swim in the courtyard!

So what would you guys think the chances are that next week's sailing will end up in bermuda? We are in the Haven too but still want to see bermuda!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

.....there are no disturbances behind this current hurricane so I would think if Bermuda survives the next couple of days you should have no issue the following week.

If you talk to my wife, she'll tell you I'm always wrong. So take this with a grain of salt.

;)

wasiii

So what would you guys think the chances are that next week's sailing will end up in bermuda? We are in the Haven too but still want to see bermuda!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Unless there is another storm, 100% chance. Cristobal will be almost a week away by that point.

.....there are no disturbances behind this current hurricane so I would think if Bermuda survives the next couple of days you should have no issue the following week.

If you talk to my wife, she'll tell you I'm always wrong. So take this with a grain of salt.

;)

wasiii

There are two other disturbances showing on this morning's maps but they should still be okay for next week unless Cristobal hits Bermuda harder than expected and takes out the pier.

Is it possible to have the reverse happen to me for my October cruise? If a hurricane is a brewin over Florida, could we possibly go to Bermuda instead, resulting in higher port fees, which we did not agree to when booking. I'm sure that's in the fine print too....my point was just having to pay higher port fees.

Edit: and my asking about the higher port fees is so that I can plan ahead, not dispute the extra charge. I keep reading that bermuda is such a beautiful place and I'd love to go there!

When Sandy turned a 9 day Gem cruise into 13 days we missed a Caribbean port but spent Halloween in Boston. There was no extra charges for port fees or gratuities, and an improvised 5 day cruise to Bermuda was available to just pay port and taxes and gratuities, as another 9 day cruise had to be cancelled. If we had made it into NYC on 10/29 I doubt we would have been reimbursed for the port we missed, it is just part of hurricane season cruising.

my son is on the diverted Breakaway.

:confused:Can anyone recommend excursions in Port Canaveral? Can you still catch the trolley into cocoa beach? Is it a long walk to the trolley stop?

thanks

We did an eco-cruise on the Banana River. The amazing wildlife we saw included manatees.

There were excursions to Disney or Sea World, which we might try next time, or some people rent cars and go there on their own.

At first we were thinking about spending time at Cocoa Beach, but there were jellyfish warnings which were posted at the excursion desk. I hope that the rough seas caused by Cristobol, won't wash jellyfish onto any beaches.

We actually have fond memories of our hurricaine Frances aug 28 2004 cruise!

First time cruising as a family on dcl

Went from 7 days to 11 days

New ports added and dcl keep us far out of hurricaine territory

Trip insurance kicked in for the $300 in extra telephone and limo transport expenses as we never did get back to the original port

JetBlue was fabulous with rescheduling

Dcl offered to get those pax that couldn't arrange immediate transport home to dis world and put them up for free

That cruise did not sour us on cruising

What it did was make us realize that we prefer longer cruises! Lol

What I learned from this....

Always pack extra underwear!!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums