Tell me about the Buffet Baskets on Summit

Want2Cruise 701

This was introduced after our cruise in April. We will have them in December when we sail.

Confused as to how it works? Do they put multiple things in the baskets or just individual. Can you help yourself to individual items as before? Do hot items get cold or soggy?

Pictures would be great if anyone has any.

Thanks.

I found this picture by doing a google search Celebrity buffet baskets

928bb3ed107c07f41f6a5ad7b379006b.jpg

From what I have read on this board the food is pre plated but you can ask for your personal choices to be plated as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found this picture by doing a google search Celebrity buffet baskets

928bb3ed107c07f41f6a5ad7b379006b.jpg

From what I have read on this board the food is pre plated but you can ask for your personal choices to be plated as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is in there? Do you have to move the stuff around to see what it is?

This was introduced after our cruise in April. We will have them in December when we sail.

Confused as to how it works? Do they put multiple things in the baskets or just individual. Can you help yourself to individual items as before? Do hot items get cold or soggy?

Pictures would be great if anyone has any.

Thanks.

Some get very soggy, battered fish and chips, chicken tostada also, fill up on crispy bacon at the beginning of the cruise as near mid week it slowly gets limp and fatty.

I loved the new basket concept. My personal opinion was the buffet was the best I've had(probably been on 25 cruises)- this past June on the Summit to Bermuda. The baskets provided many new creative choices-- changing daily. Also made it very easy to just grab a quick item. Many people on here have complained about watery scrambled eggs-- but gosh I sure prefer my eggs nice and soft as opposed to the eggs that sit in large buffet pans getting dry and rubbery. The staff only puts out a few baskets of each item at a time, so they usually don't sit around very long to get cold or dry.. The buffet still has traditional areas too-- omelet and eggs benedict stations, meat carving station, custom sandwiches, pastas, stir fry.. All in all, I thought it was great.

Some things work well in the basket concept, others don't. Overall we found we liked it better than the old way. The food seemed to taste better overall and looked more appetizing. But that's just mine and DH's opinion.

I think they need to figure out what foods do well in this environment and tweek it a bit.

We hardly ever ate at the buffet on our first 2 Summit cruise except for the pasta bar for a late lunch occasionally when we came back from an excursion.

However we ate breakfast there every morning on our last cruise.

Summit took away my husbands lox and cream cheese on the room service menu. They replaced it as part of something which he didn't care for. He just likes it on his bagel. They also took away something hot that my son ate. Can't remember now. It left us the buffet which was fine. No complaints.

My concerns are that I'm a picky eater and probably going to only eat one thing or so in the basket. I never liked trays (tacky) but seems I might now to accommodate all those baskets in which most will go to waste.

Even higher end hotels have a buffet. Ritz Carlton and Four Seasons have always had a nice buffet breakfast, and I have never seen a basket. Hmmmmm....

My next post Q's. Thanks.

I did find a long thread and read it entirely. My Q's.

It seems everything is stationed now. I hated that on other cruise lines. I liked the old way with pretty much the same on each side. Also liked the fact that there was almost one line for everything.

I'm hearing now with different things by the pool???

Also hear the past bar has been relocated? To where?

Can we still get lox and where if so?

From the attached picture it seemed I couldn't even tell what was in the basket.

I just don't want to spend my mornings wandering around for breakfast. The southern is a port intensive itinerary. We're busy and off the ship early.

Hate to complain but I liked the Summit the way it was. Our last sailing was good but not great as in the past. We decided we would give it another try as we like the Southern route the best and sailing from San Juan.

CC had a interview with the hotel manager on the Summit about this, sorry I looked quick but I can not find it. He said it was to cut down on food waste and increase hygiene. It was a test to see how it would work. The reason Summit was picked is it is sailing with a large portion of pass from the NE and it was thought they are more open to change.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

CC had a interview with the hotel manager on the Summit about this, sorry I looked quick but I can not find it. He said it was to cut down on food waste and increase hygiene. It was a test to see how it would work. The reason Summit was picked is it is sailing with a large portion of pass from the NE and it was thought they are more open to change.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

When the Summit repositions, do you think they'll still experiment with this concept? It won't be a predominant NE pax base anymore.

There are signs in front of each basket section telling you exactly what it is.

Thanks.

Is it difficult do find where things are now? Is it really station like now? Wondering how it can be, when it's setup in one big oval???

Do you know where the pasta bar is now?

Thanks.

Are there actually plates inside the wire baskets....? Or are they in another pile?

Seems like alot of wraps....lots of carbs,..

Guess we'll see them on our next cruise. On Reflection if it goes fleetwide..they look like kennel or camping items

Hoping at breakfast they still have lox, capers etc that one can self serve? That was always a nicely presented spread,,, dh likes omelets and freshky made waffles,,,,

Happy we are in BLU and can akso do the Elite lite breakfast as well...

thanks for posting the pictures...

The reason Summit was picked is it is sailing with a large portion of pass from the NE and it was thought they are more open to change.

Open to change? Is he kidding? It's more to the point that we are more opinionated and out spoken, especially those of us from Metropolitan area. But I guess he couldn't say that in the interview. I guess they figure if they can please us the rest of the country wouldn't have a problem with it.

Edited by Iamcruzin