FYI...Bermuda

20pluscruises

FYI....

Just received a call from AMEX...our card number was stolen and charged $45,000 on Monday, the day after we returned from Bermuda. We only made one out of the ordinary charges....a tour in Bermuda, which was not part of the Celebrity excursions. Nor, offered as a tour with Celebrity.

Just a heads up for future considerations.

Edited by 20pluscruises

Thanks for the heads up.

It's a good reminder that this can happen anywhere. One of my cards was comprised pre-cruise in Fort Lauderdale. I had to wait until I got home to straighten it out because I didn't get notification until I was on the ship and out to sea.

FYI....

Just received a call from AMEX...our card number was stolen and charged $45,000 on Monday, the day after we returned from Bermuda. We only made one out of the ordinary charges....a tour in Bermuda, which was not part of the Celebrity excursions. Nor, offered as a tour with Celebrity.

Yikes!

You would think that Amex would have red flagged that one due to the amount and location...unless your charging history is normally like that.

MrJulius

Yikes!

You would think that Amex would have red flagged that one due to the amount and location...unless your charging history is normally like that.

MrJulius

Unfortunately, purchases were made online.

We always book excursions through Celebrity, but this tour not being offered by Celebrity and it being Bermuda we thought, why not? Lesson learned.

Edited by 20pluscruises

Since we have a Bermuda cruise planned I would love to know who your excursion was booked through! Thanks

When we hear back from AMEX we will def say the name of the tour. However, I can tell you it was NOT a tour that had anything to do with water. Hope this helps!

FYI....

Was the tour the only thing that you used the card for the entire time? If you made other, "ordinary" charges (restaurant, drug store purchase, etc.) possibly your card information was stolen elsewhere. Perhaps even before you left on your trip? Or were the $45K in online purchases traced to a Bermuda IP? I hope all is resolved quickly and to your satisfaction.

Was the tour the only thing that you used the card for the entire time? If you made other, "ordinary" charges (restaurant, drug store purchase, etc.) possibly your card information was stolen elsewhere. Perhaps even before you left on your trip? Or were the $45K in online purchases traced to a Bermuda IP? I hope all is resolved quickly and to your satisfaction.

Yes, the only thing on the card in Bermuda was the tour. If it is traced back we will know 100% it was the tour company AND I will give everyone here a heads up / name of the company.

It was resolved quickly and to our satisfaction...just wanted to make sure it doesn't happen to anyone else.

Yes, the only thing on the card in Bermuda was the tour. If it is traced back we will know 100% it was the tour company AND I will give everyone here a heads up / name of the company.

It was resolved quickly and to our satisfaction...just wanted to make sure it doesn't happen to anyone else.

So glad to hear that the card company stepped up (as they should) -- but, sorry to hear that you had to have your vacation memories marred by something like this. As someone headed to Bermuda, I do appreciate the "heads-up". We usually pay for things with cash, wherever possible. That being said, some private tour operators require advance deposits -- usually done by credit card.

How can anybody prevent that from happening to them?

Your card information could have been stolen long before your Bermuda trip.

It happened to me, I went one time to a gas station out of town, and months later charges appeared on my card. The credit card company traced it back to a worker at that station.

It probably has nothing whatever to do with Bermuda specifically - your card information could have been compromised anywhere, anywhen.

I spent a few days in New York a couple of years ago, and my bank called me several months later to say that the database of one of the stores I had shopped at had been compromised and they didn't know what, if any, data had been stolen from the previous six months so they recommended a new card to be safe.