Our Day - Blue Bay

Sportsdoc

Used this message board frequently when planning my trip so wanted to just share a few tips from my day to help make others planning easier.

After reading this site we decided to spend the day at Blue Bay. Got off ship early and had no problem finding taxi. There were five of us (three adults and two children ages 6 and 9) - taxi cost was $30 and took about 20 min. The driver asked if we wanted dropped at the hotel desk or beach. Thinking I needed to purchase the day passes at the hotel I asked to be dropped there. THIS IS NOT CORRECT. It is about a 10 min. walk to the beach and they do not take care of the day passes at the hotel. They were to charge us $10 per person when we arrived at the beach but there was not anyone at the gate or on the beach taking payment. So we just found chairs and made ourselves at home. I kept waiting for someone to come ask us to pay and was even looking for someone to pay but during our several hours there no one appeared so we ended up not paying at the resort. I kind of felt bad about this but was more than prepared to pay when we were there but there was not any one asking. The beach is just as advertised. It is nice and your typical Carribean beach. Although very rocky. The water was clear but cool. There were several other people there from our ship. We took our own towels and my son enjoyed the pool which is fairly simple but adequate. It was odd because just before noon the dozen or so Royal Caribbean passangers who were there suddenly up and left (like we missed a memo or something). We decided that was our cue to head back as well. When we went out front there were not any cabs and our cell phones did not work to call the taxi that brought us. It was a bit of a process getting a ride back. We ended up calling up to the hotel then hitching a ride on a golf cart up to the hotel desk where they called us a cab. We had to wait awhile. So in the end this was my least favorite stop on our cruise and if we went back I would consider a different option. Not because it was bad just not the soft white sand beach with easy access I was hoping for.

Thank you so much for reporting back your experience. We are/were considering this an an option for our upcoming cruise in November. I have knee problems and would certainly not want to have to walk back and forth to the lobby to get a cab. We had also been trying to get info from the Hilton and Marriott but have been unable to get any responses thus far. Were you also able to use the pool if you desired? Was your cab fare $30 each way? It does sound like the beach may be less than desirable so we may be back to the drawing board.

Blue bay does not have day passes officially. You pay for your beach chair (if there is an attendant there, indeed).

Curacao is not an island for day passes, so if you want to go to a beach - just get a taxi and go. Please choose a beach with amenities (restroom, restaurant, beach chairs) and you pay entrance fee (plus beach chair). Very easy.

If you want to go to the Hilton, just show up. The beach there is rather small, though.

In order to avoid the "taxi panic" upon return to the ship, you can pre-arrange a taxi. Just tell the driver that dropped you off, what time you wish to be picked up.

Sportsdoc - thanks for your review!

I don't know if I would just show up at the Hilton, they charge locals on weekends, I would email them first.

They seldom respond to e-mails. And without being politically incorrect (as I'm a local as well) - if you (as a tourist) show up and use the pool and the beach, the guard will not identify you as a local.

But you can visit the front desk and pay a fee to use their facilities. They don't sell day passes before hand, the fee per day is paid on the spot.

In Curacao, it is good to always arrange a trip back with your taxi.

Also, the Beach Express is a good alternative to a taxi and usually goes to Blue Bay or Porto Marie.

We had no problems with the Beach Express and had a great day at Blue Bay.

They seldom respond to e-mails. And without being politically incorrect (as I'm a local as well) - if you (as a tourist) show up and use the pool and the beach, the guard will not identify you as a local.

But you can visit the front desk and pay a fee to use their facilities. They don't sell day passes before hand, the fee per day is paid on the spot.

I was at the Hilton for a weeks stay last month, we noticed that the security guard kept a good watch on those that paid and those that snuck in,like the kids. People that pay have a wrist band on.

Beach Express is a cruise ship excursion - I called RC yesterday to see if they could/would tell me which beach it goes to and they couldn't find that information. Cruiseapril was nice enought to answer me on another post here.

Hi- If you google "Curacao Beach Express" you'll find some information on the local open air bus which usually goes to Blue Bay or Porto Marie.

Many of the cruise lines offer this as an excursion- but you might be able to make reservations from the website.

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...