Travel/Cruise Traditions.What are ya'lls?

TnMama

:DWhen I travel I take feet pictures. It started in San Diego,CA,a few years ago. I was at Mission Beach with my elderly Uncle. He didn't walk out to the water with me,and I needed proof I had been in the water. So I lowered the camera and snapped a feet pic. A tradition was born! Ive traveled by land, far and wide,and have feet pics to prove it,thus my profile pic. I've read where ppl have their embarkation traditions, like getting hammered on the Lido deck before you sail. But I was wondering what other things ppl do. My feet pics started something with my girlfriends. They take them now too. A cousin takes a travelling monkey with her that gets passed back and forth. So I was wondering what other ppl did, both on land and at sea....Can't wiat to hear these!:D

I get on board, grab a cocktail, and after the ship sails, I go to the back to watch the Pilot leave the ship. One time he swung from the cruise ship to the pilot tug on a rope like Tarzan!

I don't know if you would call it a tradition but......I always get soooo excited that I scream when I see the boat and my hubby gets mad at me because it always startles him. :) (you would think he would learn to bring ear plugs!!!)

Edited by DpTxQt31

Ok, I'm laughing my butt off right now!

My DH also does the feet thing! (What are the odds?) In every port we visit, and at least once on the ship, he takes a pic of his feet with either the ocean, part of a deck or some beach in the background.

A tradition we started about three cruises ago is as soon as we set foot on the ship, we look at each other and say "savour". This is our reminder to savour every possible moment of our vacation, because they always seem to fly by.

We also get pics each day with whatever towel animal we get.

I take pics of my feet too!! in the sand..or while I am laying out.. too funny!!

Tradition that we do.. souvenir wise..is anywhere we go on a cruise.. in each port, we buy:

Coffee mug

Cookbook (from that particular place/Island/region/country)

License Plate (some are authentic, no longer used ones..we've gotten one from almost every island we have been too)

We only took our first curise last year on the Inspiration but on the way there the kids were arguing who was going to step on the ship first, we came up with the idea of all holding hands and as best we can all jump on together. Third cruise coming up in 25 days and the kids are already asking if we are doing it again this time.

Daily pictures with the towel animals a must - we saved them all last year on the Liberty to take a big group picture on the last night - VERY disappointed when we got back to our room on the last night to find no towel animal and our room steward had taken away all the others too :(.

One of my cruise traditions is to head straight to Lido after boarding and have a Funship Special. :) That's how I know I'm truly on vacation.

My other tradition is to take sunset pictures. I just love sitting on the balcony or standing on Lido looking out at a beautiful sunset & the pics just remind me of that feeling.:p

I take a picture of my Hubby with me on the cruise and say "wish you were here" NOT!!!

Just kidding, he doesn't like to cruise, maybe some day I can get him on an Alaskan cruise.

It seems like I always get a picture of the huge iron thing (don't know what it is called) that holds the gigantic lines to the ship.

So, is this a foot fetish thread or what?!:D I too take pictures of my feet! It's a running joke with my SIL and our cousin. They have always commented on my "pretty feet". One year when we were again all together on vacation at the SIL's timeshare in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, they again were saying stuff like; "She has the prettiest feet! Aren't they great!" 'Yeah, she does!" I usually always get a manicure and pedicure before I go on any vacation, so I'm sure that helps!;) Anyway, just for the fun of it, I put on some really bright, neon pink toenail polish, a toe ring, and ankle bracelet, and took a picture of my feet in the water on the pool steps! I sent the pictures to them after we got back home (we all live in different areas of the U.S.), and they got some really big laughs, so I'm told!:D Anyway, now I do it every time we travel somewhere together! Just a fun thing to share with the girls!:D The guys used to think we were nuts!!!!:eek:

The DH, DS, and I collect lapel pins from every country or U.S. city we travel to. We have tons of them! I used to collect water globes and shot glasses, but I ended up with way too many, and it got wierd! We also collect Christmas ornaments from each place we visit.

Edited by mousey

Okay, I have the foot fetish thing going, too. But, I think it's y'alls fault! I read a suggestion here on the boards to take a picture of your feet in the sand. That got expanded to pictures showing our feet while lounging, etc. When we got back, we made a slide show of our trip and sent it to family that had really encouraged us to cruise. My SIL sent me an e-mail about how much she loved the slide show - but what was it with us and feet? Here's one of my favorites - it took us about 8 attempts to get it right - we were laughing so hard and some of our coverups kept getting in the picture.

56487316_Heatherscruise1055.jpg.1405aa89573cd0359143afc2db5c6734.jpg

I have a "Slinky Pet" lion named Splinky who travels with us everywhere. We try to take pictures of him in interesting places or with interesting people. It's a lot of fun, and many of my friends participate!

Here's one of my favorites - this was in Brussels, and I don't think this man spoke a word of English but he was certainly happy to indulge me!! (You can't see it really well in this picture, but his 'body' is a fabric-covered slinky, so that adds to the fun.)

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2176015

Mine is a little goofy, and I began it when I first started taking my daughter on cruises with me. Sorry, it doesn't involve feet.

I told her we're not officially cruising until our foot touches down on the ship (Hey, I guess it does involve feet after all!)

As we approach the top of the gangway, I begin a long, drawn out "Weeeeeeeee're. . . .", then as I touch my foot down on the ship, I finish ". . . . CRUISING!!!!!". It was just a silly thing I did for her when she was 11. She's 21 now, and even now when we board a cruise, she'll look over at me, grinning in anticipation of what she knows is coming. . . .

Edited by Cruisindad

Another word for "everyone who cares to read this", of course! We say Y'all in KY., also. We even have a huge water tower that says Florence Y'all!:D

Okay, now tell the REAL story behind it saying Y'all LOL

I am right across the river from you!

I always take a picture of something that symbolizes where we are and the year it is.

EX: I would write 2009 in the sand if at the beach

Or 2009 in the snow with colored water if skiing

Or 2009 in currency coins if I was in Europe or somewhere

Also have to take a picture of us underneath the ships name

and one of my husband always leaning on the ship railing staring out into the ocean.

I always buy a coffee mug from one of the ports and if possible a handmade Christmas ornament for my tree that only has handmade ornaments on it.

I can't wait to do it again!!

I'm glad and sad Im not the only one who takes feet pics,lol.Sad b/c Im not as orginal as I thought,and glad to know Im not the only crazy one!I've gotten quite a laugh reading all these!

Earthworm,I'm originally from MS,correctly pronounce Missippi,and Ya'll sounds like "yaaawwwl".lol.

I can't wait to take my own feet pics when we cruise,everywhere from the Amtrack,to the Port Authority,to Cozumel lol. You're reading a post by a woman who took her shoes off all over Philly last year.It was spitting snow,But I didnt care! Nothing can ever take away the feeling of Independance Hall's cold steps beneath my bare feet....Ahhhh! I cant wait for the sand in Mexico!!!!! I too get my feet "did" before I travel. And this year I added more to the tattoo on my foot.SO I now have 2 flowers and a bumble bee to snap shots along with the scenery!lol. What is a Carnival Special?

As far as what I collect.Its rocks. seriously. Rocks. They're free,and all of them are diffrent. And when you're a cheap skate like me, rocks are handy. I collect bigger ones from Camping trips and put them in my front flower bed.

Edited by TnMama
adding to it.

my wife does the foot thing also. What is it about this foot thing? I dont understand this at all. I just shut up and pose my feet to make my wife happy. She doesnt have a foot fetish or anything so I dont understand. Ladies please explain it if you can.

Good Morning! I dont quite understand the "foot thang" myself. I personally wear a size 11.So I have big feet for a woman.To me they are my most unattractive body part. So,I guess to help get over it,I take feet pics. Im also the one who paints everybody's toenails. Its snot I cant stand,but I like feet!lol.I always have my toes painted in some shade of red.My signature color is Opi's Im not Really a Waitress.I have like 4 bottles of that stuff! So I guess I just like to spread the pretty! I cant stand unpainted toenails,esp when women wear sandals.:DMaybe that helps.....

From a fellow Kentuckian - we do the feet thing too! There's something about seeing pics of your feet in the ocean/sand that's fun. Can't wait to dip my feet in the ocean and play in the sand again. 6 weeks to go til Carnival Liberty.

I don't know, I give up. What the heck are "y'alls"?

My Texan husband translated this for me (NY girl here) thusly:

y'all= you guys/all of you. I can use this speaking to one person if including a group,ie spoken to SIL last week on the phone: " Do y'all want to come here for Easter dinner?".

Pleural for us is "all y'all". ie= speaking to my family last night "All y'all better start helping with the dishes."

Going on ten yrs of marriage with the Texan and we almost understand each other...most of the time.

My traditions:

As the poster above, I buy cookbooks from the region- the best are by church/scout or school groups; I read them like novels and sometimes cook from them as well.

I always bring back one cup of sand in a ziplock bag. I have the sand layered in a very tall glass container marked with perm marker on the back of container the yr and beach.

DS has always written in the sand " goodbye cruel world" and the year, snapped a photo and watched it wash away.

-maryann

I don't know if you would call it a tradition but......I always get soooo excited that I scream when I see the boat and my hubby gets mad at me because it always startles him. :) (you would think he would learn to bring ear plugs!!!)

This is so me too! But my bf is now use to it and my crazy ways?!;):D:rolleyes: Glad to see I am not the only one! I have even been known to roll down the window and scream and wave at our ship like its an old friend!? LOL Oh well!

Edited by cruizinrican
Oopsies!