La Reserve on Marina questions.

Pet

Licking our lips at the prospect of dining in the speciality restaurants on our first Oceania cruise on the Marina in August but would be grateful for some advice regarding La Reserve.

We have a prestige drinks package included in the price of the cruise which apparently lets us drink what we like when and where we like. On the Oceania website reference is made to a "wine experience surcharge applying" with regard to La Reserve. Does this apply to those with the prestige drinks package when dining, or is it only in respect of wine tasting events?

Secondly, the restaurant caters for a small number of guests , apparently dining around a single communal table . As a couple can we take part in this dining experience or do we have to "find" others in order to make a reservation as a group?

Grateful for views.

MJ;);)

Licking our lips at the prospect of dining in the speciality restaurants on our first Oceania cruise on the Marina in August but would be grateful for some advice regarding La Reserve.

We have a prestige drinks package included in the price of the cruise which apparently lets us drink what we like when and where we like. On the Oceania website reference is made to a "wine experience surcharge applying" with regard to La Reserve. Does this apply to those with the prestige drinks package when dining, or is it only in respect of wine tasting events?

Secondly, the restaurant caters for a small number of guests , apparently dining around a single communal table . As a couple can we take part in this dining experience or do we have to "find" others in order to make a reservation as a group?

Grateful for views.

MJ;);)

There are 3 rectangular tables of eight.. 1/2 hour before seating there is a gathering where they serve champagne or such and you chat with folks. Seating is open so you can perhaps meet up with someone you may like to sit with for dinner.

The charge for La Reserve includes the different wines. There is an 18% gratuity added on to the listed prices of the different menus.

If you had purchased the drink package yourself, there is a discount at La Reserve, but I am assuming the Package was included in your fare as a perk so you will not receive the discount.

You will enjoy this evening I am sure.

Just to be clear (I think it is already) you do NOT need to bring in 22 of your closest friends. We've always booked as a couple and had a lovely time with the people at our table.

If you want to schedule an evening, you need at least 12 people for them to accommodate you. (On our recent cruise there were two nights scheduled but not the menu we were interested in so I inquired as to the possibility of setting up another night. We just never got around to searching for another 5 couples to join us so it didn't happen.)

Mura

I have a quick question. What does "Wine Experience surcharge will be applied" mean? I'm assuming it's in addition to the price that we already paid? I thought the charge for the wine dinner included the wine. I guess I'm confused. My upcoming cruise in October will be the first time I have ever sailed on Oceania. I hope someone can clarify this for me. Thanks so much.

Janis

Edited by skinexpert

• 1 month later...
What time do you go in for dinner in La Reserve?

111720.jpg

The official start time will be 7pm' date=' but participants start assembling thirty minutes or so before then on the outdoor terrace which is adjacent to La Reserve. Champagne is served, so you'll want to be prompt ;) [/font']

When we did the La Reserve Dinner there was unseasonably cold (FREEZING) weather out of doors. Rather than find an alternate place to gather before dinner, they brought out old blankets. Remember, that gathering is out of doors and bring a warm wrap. Those blankets were tacky and not luxe enough to be used.

They should put in some sliding doors that hideaway when weather is good & closed then when it is sailing in the cold ;)

they could do one on the other side so you can use Waves also

Wonderful evening, we did two of the menus on our last cruise. They ended up doing, I believe, 10 dinners on our 16 night cruise, and all appeared to sell out. That's more than normal, but we had six "days at sea" plus a lot of wine lovers aboard! :D

Just a hint, in those two evenings, both having 15 males, only 1 of those males, on one of the evenings, did not wear a sports coat.

I would reserve the Connoisseur Menu, which is the best in our opinion and is less likely to be cancelled. If they don't get enough reservations they will cancel the dinner.

I hate to disagree with anyone's posts on this board as I have learned so much from everyone and will continue to read and offer comments when I am confident about the accuracy.

So, l must offer this comment about the attire in La Reserve. We were also on Marina in February when La Reserve was busy nearly every night and did not dine there. But we stayed on Marina for the next 16 days and dined in La Reserve for the Odyssey menu, which was fully subscribed. Only two gentlemen had on jackets - none at our table, including DH and a gent staying in the Owner's Suite.

Every cruise is different - sports coats may be in the majority at times; other times they are few and far between.

Every cruise is different - sports coats may be in the majority at times; other times they are few and far between.

+1. We have done La Reserve eight times. Jackets were the clear majority early after it's introduction. We have observed ever decreasing instances over the more recent cruises. Certainly every cruise is unique. The most recent, two as per newbie60.

Hey Jan, let's do that again...

Recently cruised on the Marina. We had dinner one night at La Reserve - Connoisseur menu. The evening started at 7 pm at the terrace next to the restaurant. Light appetizers and a glass of Champagne.

Dress attire was definitely country club casual. Several of us wore a sport coat but for the most part, nice shirt and slacks would be fine. Several ladies wore cocktail dresses. Again, country club casual as defined by the cruise line would be appropriate.

Dinner was excellent and the wine pairings were quite good as well.

Lastly, a very enjoyable evening of food, wine and new friends. Highly recommended.

We've done La Reserve three times on Marina but quite frankly I didn't take note of how many gents wore jackets. But in reading the posts, I think we really cannot make a general rule as to what is "proper" and what is not. It does vary cruise to cruise.

Yes, people at the dinners we attended were nicely dressed. I upped my attire a notch or two from what I would wear to a specialty restaurant but it really wasn't required. My husband wears an ancient leather jacket purchased in Majorca many years ago. No tie.

It's really not a worry.

Just don't wear jeans with holes in them!

Mura

We have eaten in La Reserve twice, on different cruises. The two original menus, I don't recall the names. The first time was outstanding. Food was delicious, wines were outstanding, pours were generous.

Second time perhaps our expectations were too high. Food was ok, wines were ok, pours were bordering on miserly.

Neither time was champagne served prior to the dinner.

Both times we went as a couple. If there is a large group, they can overwhelm the evening, especially when seated at the middle table.

I doubt we will book again.

Just my opinion.

Mo

• 1 month later...
I hate to disagree with anyone's posts on this board as I have learned so much from everyone and will continue to read and offer comments when I am confident about the accuracy.

So, l must offer this comment about the attire in La Reserve. We were also on Marina in February when La Reserve was busy nearly every night and did not dine there. But we stayed on Marina for the next 16 days and dined in La Reserve for the Odyssey menu, which was fully subscribed. Only two gentlemen had on jackets - none at our table, including DH and a gent staying in the Owner's Suite.

We just returned from a btb on Riviera and my husband never takes a jacket with him. We dined in La Reserve and there were plenty of others who just wore a nice shirt.

Carol

• 1 year later...

No. They have three different menus available, none of which are like anything in any of the other restaurants. The wines are chosen to enhance the various courses. You can see the menus at the website.

Mura