Off Menu Order?

Oxo

Reading some of the recent Threads, many say they request Off Menu Orders. Please let us know what you order special that is an Off Menu Order.I fully understand special diet requirements, but not really looking for that type of OMO.

Thank You!

Escargot is a common request. That said, if its not for medical/dietary reasons, unless its a variation on an already offered dish that meal, do note that it can be a major imposition on the kitchen staff.

Reading some of the recent Threads, many say they request Off Menu Orders. Please let us know what you order special that is an Off Menu Order.I fully understand special diet requirements, but not really looking for that type of OMO.

Thank You!

Escargot is a common request. That said, if its not for medical/dietary reasons, unless its a variation on an already offered dish that meal, do note that it can be a major imposition on the kitchen staff.

That's how I feel about it. Certainly asking if sauces could be left off, etc., or making sure your gf needs are met (those people would have contacted the cruise line weeks ahead of their cruise). I often ask for lemon slices for my salad as I don't use salad dressing, but I know they keep lemons on hand -- and I will often any that I don't use (I'll drop one in my water glass) to table mates so that the slices don't go to waste. But if you're asking for a major item that needs to be prepared that isn't on the menu, isn't that making the kitchen staff take time from the other food they're preparing and are set up for?

I've read in previous threads that off-menu ordering can be hit or miss, especially if it's not well announced that you'll be doing do. I've also read that OMO has been flatly refused since it IS a major imposition for the chef and kitchen staff to prepare that one item, for one passenger, right in the middle of preparing and plating hundreds upon hundreds of other dishes for the MDR. The decision whether or not you can order off-menu, if it is not based on a dietary or health restriction, is more or less up to the waiter.

:cool:

We were at an 8-top table on a TA cruise, every night, we'd get something off-menu that was like an appetizer for the table to share (e.g. mozzarella sticks or bruschetta). Granted, that's pretty easy, not like ordering a separate entree.

Last year on a Princess cruise, I ordered off-menu at breakfast because they didn't have eggs benedict on the menu...inconceivable, eggs benedict is the only reason I go to MDR for breakfast! :D But again, I suspect I wasn't the only person to request it.

The off menu items I've seen ordered are not that far off menu. I wouldn't order something completely different and expect to get it. However, Caesar salad is on the always available menu. You can ask for a dinner size serving with a sliced grilled chicken breast on it. Or you can ask for chicken fingers from the children's menu to be put on your Caesar salad. Fettuccini Alfredo is always available as a pasta course. You can ask for a dinner sized portion with chicken breast added. Sometimes we have ordered the Volcano ice cream sundae from the children's menu for dessert. You can ask to see the children's menu if someone wants something more simple. Sometimes a waiter might offer something special.

My opinion....

To expect the chef to drop everything and make a personalized dish seems a bit much. Changing preparation of something already on a menu item is one thing . But to expect a completely different dish is unreasonable. If you go to a very large, busy restaurant at home, would they serve you something not on their menu?

If you are dining during a less busy time and the waiter and a chef have time that won't interfere with other diners' service, you certainly can ask. But I wouldn't expect it.

Edited by eandj

We had a head waiter on a recent TA that took a liking to our group and prepared special dishes for us on several occasions but it was not requested on our side. We would sit down and he would tell us to not order a particular course and he then brought out what he had prepared. We had some incredible antipasto one night as well as a shrimp dish that was incredible as well, and several other dishes he personally made. Darko, if you are reading this you will never be forgotten!

I asked for Chicken Curry on a recent Star cruise. The head waiter said he would get back to me. Never did. They used to be happy to make a special dish. It appears that has changed.

Very true. We have had head waiters over many years who would ask if we would like special dishes. They needed a few days and the head waiter would tell us what night. Times have changed.

I give the head waiter $50. on the first night and get special dishes every night.

Tony

Hey Tony, give me the $50 instead and I'll do you a good deal:D:D:D:D

My opinion....

To expect the chef to drop everything and make a personalized dish seems a bit much.

Special requests, if honored, are requested 24 hours in advance. No chef is suddenly dropping everything to make it.

We had a head waiter on a recent TA that took a liking to our group and prepared special dishes for us on several occasions but it was not requested on our side. We would sit down and he would tell us to not order a particular course and he then brought out what he had prepared. We had some incredible antipasto one night as well as a shrimp dish that was incredible as well, and several other dishes he personally made. Darko, if you are reading this you will never be forgotten!

Same here, also on a TA. We were a table of 10 ladies, and the supervisor in our section of the dining room took us under his wing. We had special dishes every night. One night he had an entire menu prepared just for our table. Rafeeq you made our cruise unforgettable!

Head waiters will often make special dishes and offer it to all tables. Doesn't have anything to do with whether he likes you or not. It's a thing they've been doing for years.

From our experience they have really cut back on this. They use to do pasta, flambé, etc., at least a couple of nights on a 7 day cruise. Now they say do to fire concerns they can no longer do it. Really? How many ships have burnt during the last 30 years do to this?

Staff has been cut and budgets are tighter.

Special requests, if honored, are requested 24 hours in advance. No chef is suddenly dropping everything to make it.

Totally agree with you. It is not like it use to be. They would be having special orders for almost everyone each night. LOL

From our experience they have really cut back on this. They use to do pasta, flambé, etc., at least a couple of nights on a 7 day cruise. Now they say do to fire concerns they can no longer do it. Really? How many ships have burnt during the last 30 years do to this?

Staff has been cut and budgets are tighter.

Of course safety codes could have been updated over the years.

Of course safety codes could have been updated over the years.

Possible, however, some cruise lines still do a BBQ on deck with open grills. Then you have the Baked Alaska with sparklers instead of flame. Sparklers are very dangerous and cause fire and burns.

I still think it is because of staff and budget.

I'm sure they consider people who order special items to be PITA's but they still try to comply. I can't see why the typical items they offer can't be sufficient for everyone but I suppose there are some that just want it their way. :p

Head waiters will often make special dishes and offer it to all tables. Doesn't have anything to do with whether he likes you or not. It's a thing they've been doing for years.

On a few cruises we have never seen our head waiter. I guess his other tables look like they'll give him big tips.