Where to buy clothes for Alaska

dvg1027

Hi,

We are going on the Statendam Sept 9 cruise and land for 11 days. My husband doesn't know this yet as I am surprising him at his 70th, (I'm 57) surprise birthday party next month with the gift.

I started researching what to wear and even though we do have some winter clothes we don't have a lot. I know that many have stated to layer which is what I plan on doing but, for the things I need to buy like thermal underwear and waterproof jackets, any suggestions of places to go to or to buy on line without breaking the bank? I am going for the jugular on this cruise since it has always been a dream of his to go to Alaska and I don't want to have to pay outrageous amounts for the clothes. Reason I say that is that I had done some research on the boards and some people have recommend some websites. Maybe it is just me but over $80 for thermal underwear seems a bit much. Any suggestions? Thanks.

IMO, you don't need thermal underwear and waterproof jackets for mid-September. By September 20th, it "may" approach freezing temps in Anchorage, but only in the wee hours of the morning. You probably won't be outside during this time. Water repellant (not water proof) jackets should suffice. Of course, you might want a sweatshirt underneath.

I see you are from NJ. You should have enough clothes that will work for Alaska. The main thing you may want to invest in is waterproof top layers. However, you need to think about what activities you will be doing to determine exactly what clothes you need. My DH and I were taking excursions where we would be outside a good part of the time. We also prefer to be out on the cruise ship deck for viewing the scenery rather than being inside the ship. Depending what you think you will be doing will determine how waterproof you need to go. Remeber that water repellent is not the same as waterproof. I always suggest that people buy from a store with a good return policy and leave the tags on. If you end up not wearing the clothing, you can return the items when you get home. If you are going on tours where you will always be in a bus and if you think you won't want to be spending time outside on deck, then you may not need to be concerned about water proof clothes.

If you feel you have no need for waterproof jackets, then buy yourself ponchos. I prefer jackets and waterproof pants, but if I felt it was the only time I would use the waterproof jackets, I would go for the cheaper ponchos. You can buy waterproof spray for your atheltic shoes and save money there if you don't want to buy new waterproof shoes. Not many people purchase waterproof pants, but we did and were glad we did. When we were at Hubbard Glacier there was a steady drizzle. We were able to stay out on the bow the entire time and we stayed dry. Others stayed inside, kept warm and dry and viewed the glacier from the windows.

Check out Sierra Trading Post (google to find this online store) for long underwear. They sometimes will also have waterproof jackets and pants. Their inventory changes, so you never know what you will find there.

I found relatively inexpensive breathable waterproof pants at LLBEAN when they were having a clearance on them. Otherwise LLBEAN is quite pricey. Others shop at Lands End, REI, Dick's Sporting Goods, Cabela's, etc. However, these are all pricey and more for the serious outdoors person, rather than the casaul traveller. However, they all have sales if you can be vigilant. Some people report finding clothing at Walmart, Kmart, Sears, etc.

For what it is worth, I bought and used long underwear on both of my trips to Alaska, but my DH never wore any long underewear. He is a jeans kind of guy and he felt they were warm enough for him. As I said, he did have waterproof pants that he wore once.

It is good to be prepared for all kinds of weather, but look carefully at your wardrobe and hopefully you will find you don't need to buy too many new clothing items.

Have a great trip!!!

Water repellant (not water proof) jackets should suffice. Of course, you might want a sweatshirt underneath.

In Hawaii my DH had a water repellant jacket and got soaked. I had my waterproof jacket and stayed nice and dry. I do not recommend water repellant jackets for anyone who will be outside rain or shine.

Check out Sierra Trading Post (google to find this online store)

I was going to post this. Also Google for their coupon codes. They usually have several available, sometimes up to 40% off entire order.

I am going next week and will be bringing plenty of Gore-Tex, fleece, SmartWool and moisture-wicking clothing. Avoid cotton at all costs!

I see you are from NJ. You should have enough clothes that will work for Alaska. The main thing you may want to invest in is waterproof top layers. However, you need to think about what activities you will be doing to determine exactly what clothes you need. My DH and I were taking excursions where we would be outside a good part of the time. We also prefer to be out on the cruise ship deck for viewing the scenery rather than being inside the ship. Depending what you think you will be doing will determine how waterproof you need to go. Remeber that water repellent is not the same as waterproof. I always suggest that people buy from a store with a good return policy and leave the tags on. If you end up not wearing the clothing, you can return the items when you get home. If you are going on tours where you will always be in a bus and if you think you won't want to be spending time outside on deck, then you may not need to be concerned about water proof clothes.

If you feel you have no need for waterproof jackets, then buy yourself ponchos. I prefer jackets and waterproof pants, but if I felt it was the only time I would use the waterproof jackets, I would go for the cheaper ponchos. You can buy waterproof spray for your atheltic shoes and save money there if you don't want to buy new waterproof shoes. Not many people purchase waterproof pants, but we did and were glad we did. When we were at Hubbard Glacier there was a steady drizzle. We were able to stay out on the bow the entire time and we stayed dry. Others stayed inside, kept warm and dry and viewed the glacier from the windows.

Check out Sierra Trading Post (google to find this online store) for long underwear. They sometimes will also have waterproof jackets and pants. Their inventory changes, so you never know what you will find there.

I found relatively inexpensive breathable waterproof pants at LLBEAN when they were having a clearance on them. Otherwise LLBEAN is quite pricey. Others shop at Lands End, REI, Dick's Sporting Goods, Cabela's, etc. However, these are all pricey and more for the serious outdoors person, rather than the casaul traveller. However, they all have sales if you can be vigilant. Some people report finding clothing at Walmart, Kmart, Sears, etc.

For what it is worth, I bought and used long underwear on both of my trips to Alaska, but my DH never wore any long underewear. He is a jeans kind of guy and he felt they were warm enough for him. As I said, he did have waterproof pants that he wore once.

It is good to be prepared for all kinds of weather, but look carefully at your wardrobe and hopefully you will find you don't need to buy too many new clothing items.

Have a great trip!!!

Use this keycode AVU9697Z. It expires today and only good 3 times for 35% off and 2.50 shipping.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/white-sierra-trabagon-rain-pants-waterproof-for-men~p~1074c/?filterString=s~rainwear%2Fclothing~d~5%2F&colorFamily=02

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/white-sierra-trabagon-rain-pants-waterproof-for-women~p~1074a/?filterString=s~rainwear%2Fclothing~d~5%2F&colorFamily=02

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/cold-storage-rain-parka-waterproof-for-men~p~2919p/?filterString=s~rainwear%2Fclothing~d~5%2F&colorFamily=03

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/red-ledge-prospect-jacket-waterproof-for-women~p~4532g/?filterString=s~rainwear%2Fclothing~d~5%2F&colorFamily=04

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/terramar-sport-silk-long-underwear-top-lightweight-long-sleeve-for-women~p~12080/?filterString=s~silk-underwear-women%2F&colorFamily=42

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/columbia-sportswear-just-right-fleece-hoodie-jacket-4-way-stretch-for-women~p~4714p/?filterString=s~fleece-hoody%2F&colorFamily=03

Most of my wardrobe comes from here. Go up a size with the fleece hoody and you can wear it if there is just a light rain and cover it with the rain coat when it rains I went up a size on the rain pants too to fit comfortably over jeans. I am taking a silk bottom and layering my top half. I am taking a mock turtleneck as a base layer and also taking Asolo waterproof light hikers, some light weight gloves and Smartwool socks.

Barb

In Hawaii my DH had a water repellant jacket and got soaked. I had my waterproof jacket and stayed nice and dry. I do not recommend water repellant jackets for anyone who will be outside rain or shine.

I agree. BIG difference between water repellent & waterproof. You want waterproof.

Hi,

We are going on the Statendam Sept 9 cruise and land for 11 days. My husband doesn't know this yet as I am surprising him at his 70th, (I'm 57) surprise birthday party next month with the gift.

I started researching what to wear and even though we do have some winter clothes we don't have a lot. I know that many have stated to layer which is what I plan on doing but, for the things I need to buy like thermal underwear and waterproof jackets, any suggestions of places to go to or to buy on line without breaking the bank? I am going for the jugular on this cruise since it has always been a dream of his to go to Alaska and I don't want to have to pay outrageous amounts for the clothes. Reason I say that is that I had done some research on the boards and some people have recommend some websites. Maybe it is just me but over $80 for thermal underwear seems a bit much. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I would pass on the thermal underwear.

I would be sure to have a waterproof jacket and if you have a fleece that is nice. A sweater or sweatshirt would work.

If you have a Dick Sporting Goods Store go there. REI is also a good option. Both have departments that sell items that are good for the outdoors. Another option is Sports Academy

In terms of web sites check out Magellan's and TravelSmith. Also, the three stores I mentioned above have web sites too.

Keith

I bought good quality ponchos for our first Alaskan cruise. They came in handy the day we were in Juneau. It drizzled and rained the whole time we were there. I noticed several people with the dollar store style ponchos who were not staying as dry as we were. The other thing I was happy to have was waterproof shoes.

Use this keycode AVU9697Z. It expires today and only good 3 times for 35% off and 2.50 shipping.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/white-sierra-trabagon-rain-pants-waterproof-for-men~p~1074c/?filterString=s~rainwear%2Fclothing~d~5%2F&colorFamily=02

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/white-sierra-trabagon-rain-pants-waterproof-for-women~p~1074a/?filterString=s~rainwear%2Fclothing~d~5%2F&colorFamily=02

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/cold-storage-rain-parka-waterproof-for-men~p~2919p/?filterString=s~rainwear%2Fclothing~d~5%2F&colorFamily=03

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/red-ledge-prospect-jacket-waterproof-for-women~p~4532g/?filterString=s~rainwear%2Fclothing~d~5%2F&colorFamily=04

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/terramar-sport-silk-long-underwear-top-lightweight-long-sleeve-for-women~p~12080/?filterString=s~silk-underwear-women%2F&colorFamily=42

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/columbia-sportswear-just-right-fleece-hoodie-jacket-4-way-stretch-for-women~p~4714p/?filterString=s~fleece-hoody%2F&colorFamily=03

Most of my wardrobe comes from here. Go up a size with the fleece hoody and you can wear it if there is just a light rain and cover it with the rain coat when it rains I went up a size on the rain pants too to fit comfortably over jeans. I am taking a silk bottom and layering my top half. I am taking a mock turtleneck as a base layer and also taking Asolo waterproof light hikers, some light weight gloves and Smartwool socks.

Barb

I use Sierra Trading also and took the same items as Barb--used everything. It can get very chilly on Glacier Bay day so that is where the thermal bottoms come in--the silks were wonderful. I became a convert to smartwool socks --no itching and kept my feet just right. We used waterproofing spray on my husbands water repellent jacket and that worked well. Our big splurge was Trail raincoats from LLBean--they are often on sale and if you phone they may have colors and sizes that are not even in the on-line catalog--make sure you get a size large enough to fit over a fleece jacket. My waterproof shoes/low-hikers came from Marshalls--try them on with the socks you will wear. The difficulty on a cruise is drying things out if you do get soaked so being proactive and having a waterproof outer layer is a good thing.

I have been very pleased with the items I have purchased over the years at Lands End. Just got a new box from them the other day with some clothing items purchased for our upcoming Alaska cruise. I got great deals on their current sale!

Check out Ebay for motorcycle clothing. Rain suits are a staple for bike riders.

I have purchased 3 or 4 sets for DH for less than $40 per set. He hunts and fishes a lot and likes these light weight sets a lot better for quite a bit of the year rather than wearing his expensive (and heavy) Cabella's stuff.

The last ones I got had two cargo pockets in the jacket, velcro all over the place to get everything tight and a VERY nice roll up hood which fits into the collar of the jacket if you don't need it. I can't find the ones I purchased in April but this one is similar and the price is right. NOT fancy and NOT made for riding daily in heavy weather BUT certainly good enough for a trip to Alaska to keep you dry. They generally come in three or 4 color combinations.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-BLACK-RAIN-SUIT-2-Piece-ADULT-2XL-XXL-FOUL-WEATHER-MOTORCYCLE-SR4000-NOS-/180932091727?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&hash=item2a20649f4f&vxp=mtr

I'm from Jersey too. I just bought a raincoat made by Misty Harbor at Boscov's. It's waterproof with a hood and comes in several colors, size S-XL. Very cute and runs roomy. It was sold in the hosiery/sock dept. of my Boscov's. I got it on sale for 29.99 - it's normally 39.99. Perfect for my upcoming Alaska cruise. Good Luck and have a great trip.

Hi,

We are leaving for Alaska in one week. We ordered through Amazon "Columbia Omni-tech waterproof breathable Storm Surge pants." The only color choice was black. The women's were $28 and the men's $29. Obviously we have not had an opportunity to try them, but the online reviews were positive and the Columbia brand was enough for us. We had tried and returned waterproof pants from Lands' End and Cabela's. In both instances the pants were more expensive and more like "snow pants": much more fabric and thicker than we wanted. The Columbia pants are "shells" and will be easy to pack.

We also purchased online rain jackets from L.L. Bean that ran small so we exchanged them at a nearby L.L. Bean store, bought a larger size and got a better discount at the store. While there I found some low, waterproof hikers on sale. Now that I'm ready for the Alaskan rain I figure we'll have sunshine the 10 days we're there! Small price to pay for great weather. :)

Sierra Trading Post is the best place to buy quality outdoor clothing brands at budget prices. Sometimes I do some additional reserach by looking on the brand's website for information or read additional user reviews on websites such as REI. Sierra Trading Post also has excellent customer service by telephone and can advise as to actual garment measurements to help you with size selection. When I am unsure I order the same item in more than one size. I try on the different sizes and return those I don't want to keep. Sierra has a great return policy and provides a prepaid UPS label. You'll be charged about $6 to make the return, no matter how many items are in your return box. Just make certain the items still have their attached tags and are in new condition. Brands I would check out for your Alaska trip are Smartwool (socks), Columbia, North Face, Marmot, Lowe. There are many others. My favorite layering fleece is from Mammut and although this brand is expensive, I was able to purchase it at a bargain price. I have purchased lightweight thermal items, rain gear, jackets, socks, hats, gloves, and all manner of outdoor clothing from Sierra Trading Post. I always check their website first because of the good prices. Caution, however - men's garments and shoes tend to sell out quickly on high demand items.

Okay, I am a little 'fluffy' (size 18) and I am afraid the xl (normally buy 1X) will not fit. I can't find any that come in plus sizes :confused:. Any suggestions? I assume they will need to fit over jeans.

Look at men's size pants--check the measurements to see what will fit best. I'm a size 14 and ended up w a men's large raincoat as the ladies L was too snug over a fleece and the XL would be too big. Call the customer service folks--they are a wonderful help.

I wore rain pants once--when we were whale watching in the pouring rain! In my opinion they are not as necessary as a waterproof jacket/rain coat and shoes.

I'm not planning on bringing long underwear for our late Sept. cruise. Helly Hansen waterproof coat, waterproof hiking sneakers and a fleece if it gets cold. Birkis for walking around deck. A thin knit hat and thin knit gloves. Quick dry pants if it's rainy or kahkis if it's not. Umbrella. I don't care for jeans and they are bulky and heavy, but if you like wearing them they would be fine if it wasn't raining. A sweater or two, a t-shirt or two and a long-sleeve t or two or three and a pair of shorts if I check the weather report and it will be warmish. I'll probably throw in a neck scarf (one of the "cute" ones that can be cute or could be neck warmth if needed). Then the dinner clothes and shoes...that's the bulk in my suitcase for sure. (note to self, get a new umbrella and one for H).

I found these plus size pants.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/columbia-sportswear-pfg-horton-rim-pants-upf-50-for-plus-size-women~p~4075f/?filterString=womens-clothing~d~6%2Fsizefamily~special%20sizes%3Bplus%2Fwomens-pants~d~263%2F&colorFamily=04

They come in a 1x-3x. Not rain but are nylon so probably will repel some water. I would look for a waterproof jacket that hits below your seat and that should do. You just need long enough so when you sit down you stay dry. Hope it helps.

Barb

I'm from Rochester and am always cold. I took Cuddleduds with me on my first Alaska trip and used them. They are much lighter weight than sweaters and with the airline weight restrictions and baggage costs they fit in nicely!

I went to a Premium Outlet Mall last weekend and both the Columbia and Eddie Bauer stores had great sales! For those of you who are not "fluffy" but instead the size of a sixth grader Land's End children's jackets are great!

Weather in Alaska is so changeable it is difficult to find "one size fits all" advice.

Went the first time in 2003 on 5/1 and took earmuffs and gloves and never used either. We were fine in jeans, sweatshirts and light jackets. However, the weather was mild and sunny. The locals were in shirtsleeves in 60 degrees. The next cruise had rain all week.

Going again next May and since we are doing the land portion, may have to invest in some of the clothing mentioned here, depending what we plan to do.

Sue

Look at men's size pants--check the measurements to see what will fit best. I'm a size 14 and ended up w a men's large raincoat as the ladies L was too snug over a fleece and the XL would be too big. Call the customer service folks--they are a wonderful help.

I wore rain pants once--when we were whale watching in the pouring rain! In my opinion they are not as necessary as a waterproof jacket/rain coat and shoes.

Thanks! I actually did find some men's XL in Dick's Sporting Goods for $24.99. They are pretty big but fit over my jeans and I can cinch up the waist. Large wouldn't go over the jeans. They are just a shell and very light so I glad I found them.

Archived