Need Help....Funny Cruise Lingo

mrsfuzzmo

I'm putting together some cruise information for a training class and I'm looking for some widely used funny cruise lingo. I've got "Pier Runners" and "Chair Hogs"......

Can you add to my list? Anything cruise related would work.

Also confused - are you attending or conducting this class? For or with whom? Anyway, you might get some help by going to the "First Time Cruisers" board. At the very top of the page is a "Sticky" about nautical terms, though I'm not sure that's what your looking for as the two examples you use are hardly in that category.

Fashion Police (wardrobe police, also) - those who look down their noses at others not dressed according to the "dress code"of the day.

A recent one I've seen (although not cruise-specific) - "selfish sticks". Those wonderful poles that hang out there in everyone's way because the photographer wants to be in every picture.

Stewart = Steward

Mustard Drill = Muster Drill.

But not sure what a cruise training class is.

Never needed one to take my first cruises, and no CC no internet to search for menus and drink prices or taking drinks aboard, a brochure that I read to learn about dress codes, tipping, limits on taking drinks on, etc. I wonder if that's why most complied they didn't have all these people telling them "it's your vacation do as you like":eek:. Ignore the dress code, tip as you please, smuggle booze this way or that way......

cionfused: What is a cruise training class? Do some people really need a class in order to take a Cruise

I'm puzzled too. Are you teaching a class about going on a cruise and is this something of a serious nature (as in you're a TA and want to explain cruises to new cruisers) or are you part of some travel training project and trying to inject some humor into the topic?

I don't think it matters what kind of training class, or why. Funny cruise lingo is easy to supply.

I can add "bacon police" and "naughty room" to your list. Bacon police are at the Lido buffet, handing out small portions of bacon upon request. The naughty room is where you're called when contraband is discovered in your checked luggage.

Rum runners and Budgie smugglers. Never heard the term till i cruised. Also DH DW DD DS

Budgie smugglers, I think you will find, is an Aussie term, we had one cruise director who was referring to women wearing budgie smugglers, much to everyone's amusement.

Till someone explained to her that women don't have a budgie to smuggle, she turned a lovely shade of red when all was explained.

"The Piggery" for cruise ship's buffet restaurant.

More specifically, the Horror Zone for the Princess Horizon Court buffets.

Or as Mrs Gut calls it, Horizontal Court, usually accompanied with her version of the Princess slogan " Come back fat".

cionfused: What is a cruise training class? Do some people really need a class in order to take a Cruise

I work for a large travel corporation and I'm training new advisors on cruises. Selling, Marketing, History, Destinations and Ships/Lines.

Some of the people I'm training have never stepped foot on a ship (which will change soon) but I need to relay the experiences and talk about questions they will receive.

I am very experienced in cruising, selling cruises and training cruise agents. Just wanted to add a little fun into the training.

I have all the nautical terms, but thought it would be fun to talk about some of the other "lingo" that frequent cruisers use.

Thanks for those listed above. I will add the rum runners, bacon police and naughty room to the list!

Edited by mrsfuzzmo

Hi,

There are the "one uppers" people who try to be one up on you eg. "this is our 4000th cruise" or "we are Krypton class" (insert cruise line loyalty programme rating)

Pete

I have heard them called 'Elevenerifes' (you've been to Tenerife, they've been to Elevenerife). In the Army they were also known as 'Tommy Two Sh*ts';).

Guess you missed the OP's explanation. Seems on the up and up to me.

Yes,it's true. I hope people know that not everyone that works in the travel industry know all about cruises, and in order to sell them for the benefit of the customer, they need excellent and thorough training. It's part of my job, and I love it.

Not sure what that previous poster's comment was all about, but thanks for the message!