Upgrade Fairy - she always comes with problems

Winchester Ranger

Cunard called me on my cell earlier today to ask if I would be interested in a free upgrade. The offer was to go from a lower class balcony to a higher class balcony, when I hesitated (thinking about the nightmare I had with an upgrade to a linked cabin last time) the agent jumped in and said "would $150 of onboard credit help you decide" - the answer was of course a resounding "yes". So just out of curiosity I asked what else was available and he told me I could have a Q5 - for an extra $11,000. Oh the life that some must lead.

Fast forward an hour and in comes my updated reservation - along with a demand for "an overdue payment of $288". Yes, he had billed me for the upgrade. All feelings of bonhomme went flying out of the porthole as I dialed Cunard.

"Oh" said the young lady on the other end of the line, "he pressed the wrong button",

"well then press the right one" I encouraged her.

"Hmm, I'd better speak with a supervisor about this" she added "can I place you on hold".

Five minutes later and still listening to Cunard's tuneful hum along version of "We Really Don't Care" I was starting to do my impression of an old cruise ship - I was beginning to steam.

"Hi, ok then it's all fixed" came the cheery voice as if she had been gone for 30 seconds. My reply told her that it really wasn't all fixed and the apology was upgraded with another $50 of OBC attached to it, which was fair enough.

Now don't get me wrong, I ended up very happy with the situation and have zero moans. I have an upgraded cabin and $200 more to spend compared to what I had earlier this morning, but if nothing else there are 2 lessons to be learned from all of this - read whatever they send you carefully, if I hadn't spotted the overcharge tucked away below my sailing details I could have been arguing about this with those lovely people at the QM2 Purser's desk, secondly Cunard will always throw some OBC at you to make things right.

Anyway, I can start packing now, thought I'd share, toodles :D

I wonder why Cunard called and asked you if you would like an upgrade? Was your reservation marked "do not upgrade"? Usually it just happens with an email of an "upgrade notification". Sounds like somebody wanted your old cabin pretty badly, such as a party who wanted adjacent cabins or across the hall from each other. Glad it all worked out in the end.

Is "a last minute booking without an assigned cabin" dealt with in the same manner as a guarantee booking? Ordinarily they don't offer an upgrade on a guarantee, you just discover that your assigned cabin is in a higher category.

Is "a last minute booking without an assigned cabin" dealt with in the same manner as a guarantee booking? Ordinarily they don't offer an upgrade on a guarantee, you just discover that your assigned cabin is in a higher category.

That makes perfect sense were it not for the fact that the agent who called me made a comment to the effect that "you're helping us out", but you may be right.

When he mentioned that a Q5 was available there was a moment when I thought he was going to offer me that as an option, talk about wishful thinking :D