Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising > River Cruise Ports

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old August 15th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Paris to Normandy 2 day pre stay

ok, trying to make 2 day plans for Paris before we board our Avalon River Cruise to Normandy
We are booked for a pre stay at the Pullman Paris Montparnasse 19 Rue Du comm Mouchotte. We know nothing of the area but that it is in the Left Bank area and near the metro. We are 4 active ladies that will be seeing the Lourve with the cruise. What should be do for the day we arrive and the next day. Yes, will go the the Eiffel Tower, take pictures etc. Looking for a Wine/cheese tasting, a cooking class, a good shopping area.
And yes some fine French cusine. If we decide to do a night cruise around the city. Which one is not a rip off and has a good reputation for service?
Also, since the Moulin rouge is so expensive and has mixed reviews suggestions on perhaps another show that is very popular.
We are all seasoned New Yorkers and know just how overpowering a large city can be to Tourists. Really would like to avoid traps and do as the natives do.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Now for the cruise. If you have done the cruise and have found some out of the way places to see or things to do please let us know. It would seem that you have a few hours on your own at each port except of course Normandy. So any suggestions on great
restaurants, bistros, bakeries? Shopping. Places of interest.
So far everyone has enjoyed this cruise, I hope we do too.

Old August 17th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella c View Post
ok, trying to make 2 day plans for Paris before we board our Avalon River Cruise to Normandy
We are booked for a pre stay at the Pullman Paris Montparnasse 19 Rue Du comm Mouchotte. We know nothing of the area but that it is in the Left Bank area and near the metro. We are 4 active ladies that will be seeing the Lourve with the cruise. What should be do for the day we arrive and the next day. Yes, will go the the Eiffel Tower, take pictures etc. Looking for a Wine/cheese tasting, a cooking class, a good shopping area.
And yes some fine French cusine. If we decide to do a night cruise around the city. Which one is not a rip off and has a good reputation for service?
Also, since the Moulin rouge is so expensive and has mixed reviews suggestions on perhaps another show that is very popular.
We are all seasoned New Yorkers and know just how overpowering a large city can be to Tourists. Really would like to avoid traps and do as the natives do.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Now for the cruise. If you have done the cruise and have found some out of the way places to see or things to do please let us know. It would seem that you have a few hours on your own at each port except of course Normandy. So any suggestions on great
restaurants, bistros, bakeries? Shopping. Places of interest.
So far everyone has enjoyed this cruise, I hope we do too.
Hi Bella. I'm a NY'r too. Did you check out this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1792931 It is all about the Paris/Normandy itinerary on all ships. We recently took this cruise in July. I don't think the Pullman Montparnasse is in a good location for your needs. It is a business hotel in a business district of Paris. Paris is gorgeous, we loved it. But the Montparnasse district seems more like Manhattan than Paris. We used the Hotel Verneuil, which was great, but I don't like to recommend because the one downside is that you need to walk up one flight of stairs to reach the elevator. Purchase the Rick Steve's guidebook. He gives great recommendations of small charming reasonably priced hotels. Rue Cler is a nice area near the Eiffel Tower. He also recommends the area near Luxembourg Gardens which is near the Latin Quarter. Any questions, I'll try to help. Also, the France board, on the main Europe port of call section here on Cruise Critics has several France experts.

Researching Venice to Greek Islands cruises now

Old August 17th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2Cruise View Post
Hi Bella. I'm a NY'r too. Did you check out this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1792931 It is all about the Paris/Normandy itinerary on all ships. We recently took this cruise in July. I don't think the Pullman Montparnasse is in a good location for your needs. It is a business hotel in a business district of Paris. Paris is gorgeous, we loved it. But the Montparnasse district seems more like Manhattan than Paris. We used the Hotel Verneuil, which was great, but I don't like to recommend because the one downside is that you need to walk up one flight of stairs to reach the elevator. Purchase the Rick Steve's guidebook. He gives great recommendations of small charming reasonably priced hotels. Rue Cler is a nice area near the Eiffel Tower. He also recommends the area near Luxembourg Gardens which is near the Latin Quarter. Any questions, I'll try to help. Also, the France board, on the main Europe port of call section here on Cruise Critics has several France experts.
I second the Rick Steve's book!! Read it prior to going, useful info and will stop you from wasting time.... In our family we call him "Boyfriend Rick" he rarely if ever stears us wrong! Let people make fun of Rick Steve's and its fine not to agree with his politics but he updates his major city books each year. We carried it everywhere and "Boyfriend Rick" came in handy many times a day!

Happy and safe journey!

PS Bella would you do just one thing?? On CC we love to help our fellow Posters and it helps to know where a poster is from.... Adjust your profile to at least reflect your from New York!

Old August 17th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Based on your hotel's location, you could do the walk through the Latin Quarter. We loved that area when we were there in 2011 (4 women) and we are going back again this year. While the Metro is very easy to use, walking gives a much better flavour of life in Paris. The Montparnasse area is also close to the St. Germain des Pres area which is also popular with locals. Both the 6th and 7th Arrondisements are easily accessible from your hotel location. I do agree, get a good map with walking tours, either Rick Steve's or one of the Frommer's Day by Day guide to Paris.

Carnival Pride-Western Caribbean Feb 2015
Scenic Emerald-Paris to Barcelona Sept 2013
Freedom OTS-E. Caribbean March 2013
Scenic Emerald Amsterdam to Budapest Sept 2012
Emerald Princess-S. Caribbean Jan 2012
AMA Amalegro Prague to Paris Sept 2011
Oceania Insignia Venice -Barcelona -September 2010
Coral Princess Panama Canal FLL to LA Dec 2009
Emerald Princess Baltic Aug 2009
Caribbean Princess S. Caribbean B2B Nov 2008

Old August 20th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Last year we stayed close to the St Michel metro, which was close to Notre Dame and boarding the boats for a night tour. It was a great location. We also did the free walking tour of the left bank which met at Notre Dame. Here are some links for the boat tour and free walking tour.

http://www.discoverwalks.com/paris-walking-tours/

http://www.vedettesdupontneuf.com/index.htm

You sound like "foodies" like we are and we had some must tastes that I had read about. Laduree for their macaroons, Christine Ferber jam (which we got at La Grande Epicerie in Bon Marche), the delicious butter with salt crystals in it, yogurt in little glass jars. So sorry we didn't get to taste Berthillion ice cream.

One of our favorite meals was at Les Papilles - pre-fixe menu and price. You get what the chef is preparing that night. Small place, so get reservations.

Ah, wish I was going back this year. Have fun!