The infamous Carnival Photography "waiver"

arwerth

Past Carnival Brides-

Have you had any luck bringing your own photographer on board? I saw on here that there is some kind of a waiver they use and I spoke with a coordinator yesterday who said she would send it over. I recieved an email with their standard information about the photgraphy packages and when I emailed back this was the response that I got:

"As for a waiver form for outside professional photography Carnival Cruise Lines will not authorize any outside professional photography on board our vessels. If your family member's wish to take photos with their phones and personal cameras that will be fine but professional photography equipment is not allowed."

I've read on here that "tripods" are the big no-no item. We have offered to pay a friend to take our pictures but I am scared that she is going to get shut down and we are going to end up paying twice for our pictures. I also am not sure when we would have a chance to get in all of the pictures she will take even if they don't shut her down if some of the photography takes place after the ship leaves. A little insight would be great! I'm starting to think that I am stuck with the carnival package but would love to hear from people with past experience!

Thank you!!

• 2 months later...

Did you figure this out? We actually have a friend going that does photography and has offered to take our pictures for the wedding. She doesn't need any ridiculous equipment so I will tell their photographer to step aside if I need to!

The Carnival photographer will happily let your friend take pictures alongside them if your friend doesn't appear to be a professional. No special equipment etc. However they will insist they get their pictures without interference. Many times they will even help family members get some awesome shots and teach them a thing or two. But when they say no professionals, they usually mean it. In order to get the pictures you wish to get your photographer would likely have to sail with you due to the timing aspect. One of these boards actually has a picture from Carnival that shows kind of where they will allow you to be for ceremony pictures as far as taking them.

Like mrstriceasnice said, they will allow people to take pictures, but they may ask your photographer to sit down if they are being too aggressive and getting in the CCL photog's way. This happened to a fauxtographer guest during the wedding we saw during our wedding tour. He was jockeying for position and standing in front of other guests and was asked to stop.

Picture from my tour just for reference (I removed the happy couple and their bridal party for privacy):

6980700513_b31558f7a4_z.jpg

Some people have gotten away with providing their own photographer, but we were warned about it when we asked. In my contract from three or four years ago (I can't believe it's been that long), it even spelled out the consequences for bringing a pro (they could cancel our ceremony with no refund). I wonder if their contractual language has gotten nicer?

Edited by Carnival_Brides

Wow! I do find it kind of absurd that they force you to use their photographer but I guess it's not really about YOUR wedding day but about lining their pockets! Oh well, guess we will see how it plays out :D

I don't think it's any different than a specific venue using a preferred or specified vendor because they receive a kickback--it happens all the time in the wedding business. Unfortunately, say the word "wedding" and most everything triples in price (at a minimum).

I will say that between the time we started planning (2010/2011) and now, that cruise wedding photography has come leaps and bounds. The photogs used to be trained just as point and shoot and now they have a specified group (usually one or two per ship) who are allowed to shoot weddings and have specialized training in that.

Edited by Carnival_Brides

I have to agree with carnival brides on the wedding business. I've been an officiant for years and many venues even require you to use their preferred officiant. For us the wedding price with Carnival is so much cheaper than a wedding in out area that the price of photographs doesn't really bother us. Of course at this point I have four shots I want and a couple of ceremony pics and that is it so I plan to stick to budget. That may fly out the window when we do pictures.

If you really want your own photographer they need to be a sailing guest. My last two brides did this with no issues. The best benefit of course you get them the entire cruise. I personally feel its worth it and many don't charge as much as you think. They require you to pay for the cruise and a daily fee. So for example

Cruise : $850

Daily Rate: $200 for a 4 night cruise=$800

Total: $1650

This works better for the short cruises but if you have a single person who may want to share that is an option as well. A bride did that as well with a single guest. Worked out fine.

Edited by WendyinOC

If you really want your own photographer they need to be a sailing guest. My last two brides did this with no issues. The best benefit of course you get them the entire cruise. I personally feel its worth it and many don't charge as much as you think. They require you to pay for the cruise and a daily fee. So for example

Cruise : $850

Daily Rate: $200 for a 4 night cruise=$800

Total: $1650

This works better for the short cruises but if you have a single person who may want to share that is an option as well. A bride did that as well with a single guest. Worked out fine.

Our photographer is actually one of our sailing guests and her fiance is one of our groomsman. I wanted her opposed to Carnival's photographers because her work is verrry artistic and after seeing a lot of Carnival's wedding photography, I just wasn't impressed and don't think I would be happy. I am very picky about photography since we have a huge artistic community where I live. Hope that doesn't come off as rude but it's just what I like.

• 1 year later...
Our photographer is actually one of our sailing guests and her fiance is one of our groomsman. I wanted her opposed to Carnival's photographers because her work is verrry artistic and after seeing a lot of Carnival's wedding photography, I just wasn't impressed and don't think I would be happy. I am very picky about photography since we have a huge artistic community where I live. Hope that doesn't come off as rude but it's just what I like.

Hi! I have a friend who does professional photos who will be cruising with us. I was wondering if you had any luck bringing your own photographer? I wanted to dismiss the cruise photographers so that I wouldn't have an issue with my friend being told to stop taking pics. She does have a professional camera but no extra equipment (tripod, extra lighting etc.). I would love to hear how your experience was.