Help! First cruise on Carnival and requesting advice!

mgscruiser

Hubby and I are going on our first trip on Carnival (the Conquest) on Dec 7th; we've done cruises before but all were RCCL. It will also just be myself and my husband (no children this time).

I know there are many differences listed between Carnival and RCCL, but I'm more curious on how things will go on embarkation (Miami port, we have no status - obviously) and if there are specific things I should do once we board (where to eat, where to go, etcetera).

I don't think we're doing any excursions so I don't need to worry on that.

Any assistance you have that are specific to Carnival would be great! THANK YOU!

Hubby and I are going on our first trip on Carnival (the Conquest) on Dec 7th; we've done cruises before but all were RCCL. It will also just be myself and my husband (no children this time).

I know there are many differences listed between Carnival and RCCL, but I'm more curious on how things will go on embarkation (Miami port, we have no status - obviously) and if there are specific things I should do once we board (where to eat, where to go, etcetera).

I don't think we're doing any excursions so I don't need to worry on that.

Any assistance you have that are specific to Carnival would be great! THANK YOU!

Welcome to Carnival! Carnival has their act together pretty well at embarkation. On a typical embarkation day, the non-status passengers usually start boarding around 11:30 AM. They will have a buffet lunch set up and ready for you when you board, so you can just head to the Lido deck. I usually eat a Guy's burger for lunch (free) on embarkation day, and it is on Lido deck too. Access to cabins is usually around 1:30 PM unless you purchase Faster to the Fun for $50 per cabin. If FTTF is purchased, your cabin will be ready when you embark, you will have priority embarkation after the weddings and Diamond/Platinums, and you will be able to use the priority line at the information desk onboard during your cruise, and have priority tendering off the ship at tender ports.

If you want to see some of the ship's features, click the links on the left side of this page. The link "ship features and public areas" shows your food options.

https://www.goccl.com/~/media/Files/Irman/bookccl/the_fleet/conquest/conquest.ashx

I hope you and your DH will spend an evening in the steakhouse having a nice supper. It costs extra but is worth it.

Conquest fact sheet (you can see Conquest's 2.0 upgrades here):

https://www.goccl.com/~/media/Files/Irman/bookccl/the_fleet/Conquest_fact_sheet.htm

Just let us know if you have any specific questions. I hope you have a great cruise! December 7th is right around the corner, and it will be here before you know it!

Thank you!!

We do have plans to eat at the steakhouse, I tried making the reservations online but it wouldn't process. :( I will try again later or hit the desk when we get onboard.

We did not purchase FTTF passes, as this is an incentive trip that hubby is going on and it is an option we were not given.

I was planning on packing a swimsuit into my carry-on bag and I was hoping to try and hit Guy's for a burger when we board; since we'll be boarding on the later group I'm hoping it won't be crazy! Is there a way to try and see how booked the cruise is?

The only specific question I can think of is that I saw purchasing a spa service doesn't mean you have access to the spa pools and such -- how do you get access to those??

Welcome aboard! I don't think there is a "Spa Pool" aboard Conquest, so I doubt that you'll have to worry about that. You'll have access to all the pools aboard, without purchasing any passes.

I'd highly suggest trying the "Fish n Chips", which is one deck above the Lido Food court, aft. Find the dessert table, and there will be stairs leading up to that area. As the week goes on, more and more folks find this option, and it'll get more crowded, but early on, the place is yours! :cool: Have a GREAT cruise!

"SKY"

Thank you!!

We do have plans to eat at the steakhouse, I tried making the reservations online but it wouldn't process. :( I will try again later or hit the desk when we get onboard.

We did not purchase FTTF passes, as this is an incentive trip that hubby is going on and it is an option we were not given.

I was planning on packing a swimsuit into my carry-on bag and I was hoping to try and hit Guy's for a burger when we board; since we'll be boarding on the later group I'm hoping it won't be crazy! Is there a way to try and see how booked the cruise is?

The only specific question I can think of is that I saw purchasing a spa service doesn't mean you have access to the spa pools and such -- how do you get access to those??

It is difficult to tell how full the ship is. You can look online at one of the major online booking sites to get an idea, but there may be cabins available that don't show. You also have to consider that "guarantee" bookings may exist where a cabin hasn't yet been assigned by Carnival, and that can skew the number of cabins you see too. It is common for Carnival to sail full or nearly full every cruise.

Sky was correct in answering your spa pool question. There is no spa pool and you can access the other pools without fees. You may find the aft pool more suitable since it is adults only. The Lido pool mid-ship can get pretty crazy with kids and activities. Carrying your swimsuit in your carry-on is a great idea. I'm thinking Conquest is the only Carnival ship that does not have an adults' Serenity area.

Sky's suggestion to try the Fish and Chips is a good one too. It is a little hard to find up the stairs above the buffet aft, but worth it. It is only open limited lunch hours (check your Fun Times daily for hours).

Faster to the Fun must be purchased online as an excursion (booking agents do not have access to sell these). Carnival sells a limited number of these, and if it is still available, it will show online. You can look at the excursion options in the "manage my booking" area on Carnival's website. You will need to go there too to do your online check-in in advance. You should do your online check-in as soon as you have your travel plans finalized, such as hotel reservations and flights if applicable. Carnival asks for that information during online check-in, just in case they need to contact you prior to the cruise if unforeseen events happen.

If you have any questions after you board, Carnival usually has numerous staff members standing around on embarkation day wearing red t-shirts that say, "Just Ask." Look for them if you need directions or help with anything once you board.

Carnival has drink packages available that you might be interested in too. Bottomless Bubbles is their soda package, and Cheers is their alcohol package. These must be purchased on the ship. Neither package includes bottled water so you might want to buy bottled water in advance of your cruise in Carnival's online Fun Shops. It is a little cheaper that way as opposed to buying it on the ship.

https://www.goccl.com/~/media/Files/Irman/bookccl/shipboard_knowledge/fountain_funcard.htm

https://www.goccl.com/~/media/Files/Irman/bookccl/shipboard_knowledge/My_Awesome_Bar_Program.pdf

http://www.carnival.com/Funshops

If you are flying in, check in at the airport for the cruise. You get your sail and sign card there at the airport. Flat rate for taxis from the airport too is a plus. There are many differences between CCL and RCL, but a cruise is what you make it.

In my opinion, drinks are better on Carnival. Entertainment is better on RCL. You can always find something to eat.

Have a great time!

You guys are awesome!!! :)

A cruise is still a cruise, and I'm getting a chance to get away from a very busy life (full-time manager/physical therapist, mom to a 7yo and a 1yo, and a husband who travels FT for work) where it's WARM (we live in Wisconsin). Hoping for sunshine and warmth and that alone will make me happy!!

The fish and chips place sounds great -- I'll have to see if I can convince hubby to go there versus Guy's, but either way would be good.

I figured they will be full capacity - I think most cruises try to sail that way (understandably).

Now I'm just figuring out weather, attire, where the cruise port is in comparison with shopping/beach areas, etcetera.

Oh, and of course, looking at future cruises. :):):)