Budapest Marriott

webfoot

But isn't the regular Marriott near the Chain Bridge with all the views everyone raves about also close to the dock?

Could be but we did not notice. Why pay more than 2x the rate than offered at Marriott Apartments as we did not need a full service hotel - and we appreciated the extra space and amenities.

We had 3 two bedroom apartments and one studio and everyone was very pleased with the property and value could not be beat.

I have read your review on TripAdvisor as well as others. Sounds like a great location. Also sounds like a lot of folks stay there longterm. We are looking for a one day post- cruise situation, but with a memorable view. I may start another thread for an updated discussion on that very subject when I have a chance.

But isn't the regular Marriott near the Chain Bridge with all the views everyone raves about also close to the dock?

The regular Marriott is closer to the river but the Apts are closer to Vaca Utca

They are both good locations

I have read your review on TripAdvisor as well as others. Sounds like a great location. Also sounds like a lot of folks stay there longterm. We are looking for a one day post- cruise situation, but with a memorable view. I may start another thread for an updated discussion on that very subject when I have a chance.

The Intercontinental, Sofitel Chain Bridge, Four Seasons are all on the river and offer rooms with views.

In November we did the regular Marriott for our one night pre cruise stay. It was a fabulous hotel with spectacular views..the views you are talking about...all the rooms look over the river, monuments lit up at night...easy walking to everything you need. Mind you, I am not sure how far it would be to get to the boat...google map it to see exactly, but I highly recommend...you don't need an apartment for 1 night and the rate was reasonable considering.

We were on Uniworld a few years ago and we docked on the Buda side between the two bridges (Chain and Elizabeth). I noticed a Viking ship across the river docked in front of the Intercontinental. So, you never know! I also remember taking a reasonably inexpensive cab from the boat to the Kapital Inn located near Andrassy Ut and the House of Terror. With all the luggage in the freezing cold, I'm not sure we would walk to the hotel, unless it was right there. Although, I have to say, several years ago, we schlepped our luggage to the Cologne Train Station from the dock to get to the Frankfurt Airport. What a sight that was, but we did it!

I reserved the Marriott Millennium Court as it will be an easy walk around the town! Booked my Avalon Magnificent Europe Budapest to Amsterdam in July on the Expression. My first trip alone but I am really looking forward to it!

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I reserved the Marriott Millennium Court as it will be an easy walk around the town! Booked my Avalon Magnificent Europe Budapest to Amsterdam in July on the Expression. My first trip alone but I am really looking forward to it!

Pat

Hi Pat

we did Magnificent Europe from Budapest to Amsterdam, on the Panorama in August last year, had a fantastic time, Avalon staff , food and facilities were great, tours were very good too , we had an amazing time. We had 3 days pre tour in Amsterdam , so much to see and so easy to get around. Definitely go to the market, its right in the city and easy walk from the Marriott or the Intercontinental where we stayed.

On our cruise there was a lovely lady on her own, she said she always takes trips on her own and enjoys it, we became quite friendly with her and she usually sat with a group of us for most meals and in the bar for happy hour.

Enjoy, Deb

Hi Deb,

This is my 6th Avalon cruise. Our first one was Amsterdam to Budapest. My husband had heart issues and i often could not see everything. He passed away at the end of last year. I love cruising and do not mind traveling alone. I have been to Budapest several times but had not much time to see Amsterdam so I am hoping to spend a few days there.

Hi Deb,

This is my 6th Avalon cruise. Our first one was Amsterdam to Budapest. My husband had heart issues and i often could not see everything. He passed away at the end of last year. I love cruising and do not mind traveling alone. I have been to Budapest several times but had not much time to see Amsterdam so I am hoping to spend a few days there.

Hi Pat

Sorry to hear your husband passed away.

We also had 3 days post cruise in Amsterdam, loved it there too..so very different to Budapest, but vibrant, always something going on.

Have you done the Grand France or any of the France cruises with Avalon, we're hoping to do that next year. Not sure about in what direction yet or whether we should try and book a wine cruise.

Deb

Pat

I am sure you will like the extra space

The cafe across the road has excellent breakfast options (the one with the wooden deck out front)

We did both France trips, Amsterdam to Paris, and last April finished up the Danube going from Vienna to the Black Sea. My husband wanted to go back to Romania where we first visited in 1974. I was so happy that he had a chance to go on the trip. I will probably retry France next year.

Pat

you don't need an apartment for 1 night and the rate was reasonable considering.

For the price difference, we had a lovely dinner for 2 with wine and breakfast the next morning.

"Need" and "prefer" are very different. We look for value and quality and the apartments delivered.

As it is only me traveling anymore, I reserved a 'studio', which is all I need. I doubt I will be in the room very much. I really do not like big fancy hotels but prefer smaller ones. In Nice we stayed at a small place that had 9 rooms in the pedestrian area. It was cute and cost us less than $80/night. Now I am starting to look at Amsterdam for 2 days at the end of the trip!

Pat

For the price difference, we had a lovely dinner for 2 with wine and breakfast the next morning.

"Need" and "prefer" are very different. We look for value and quality and the apartments delivered.

I agree ...it was a good value

having the separate bedrooms was a nice feature

Three of us ended up getting sick with head colds the last few days of the cruise so nice to have the kitchen to make hot lemon & honey before bed

The cost was 116 E for four of us ..great price IMO

Both properties are excellent. We stayed in Marriott apartments in Prague and planned to do the same in Budapest but there was construction in the area so we moved the reservation to the hotel. If you stay at the hotel you should upgrade to the concierge level. It is worth it as the food in the afternoon is really a full meal, and it includes an open bar. Also there is a large open air deck that you can walk out on and get 360 degree views of the city. It is spectacular at night. There is even a rail to balance the camera on for great night time shots.

• 1 month later...
Hi Pat

Sorry to hear your husband passed away.

We also had 3 days post cruise in Amsterdam, loved it there too..so very different to Budapest, but vibrant, always something going on.

Have you done the Grand France or any of the France cruises with Avalon, we're hoping to do that next year. Not sure about in what direction yet or whether we should try and book a wine cruise.

Deb

Where did you stay post cruise in Amsterdam? We have 2 days post cruise in Sept and are still trying to figure out a decent hotel in a good location. Thanks!

Archived