Summit Alaska cruisetour questions

Sleddogs

Our August 12 nt cruisetour begins in Anchorage & goes to Talkeetna, Denali & Fairbanks. So far we know that we are staying at the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge. I would like to know where we'll be staying in Anchorage, Denali & Fairbanks.

We probably won't find out until our docs arrive, but am curious to know where some of you may have stayed.

We will be on the glass domed railcar out of Anchorage. Anything special to know about this that would make our trip more enjoyable?

Any tips or info is greatly appreciated. Happy cruising!

Thanks! Sleddogs [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Carnival Fascination 8/00 (Southern Carib)25th Anniversary
Norwegian Sky 8/01 (Alaska) Enchantment of the Seas 8/02 (Western Carib)
Carnival Destiny Family Cruise 8/10/03 (Southern Caribbean)
Celebrity Summit 12 night Alaska cruise tour 8/2004
Jewel of the Seas 12 night British Isles/Norwegian Fjords 7/2005~~30th Anniversary

Sleddogs,
We stayed at McKinley Village in Denali --- multiple buildings called chalets. They are clean and comfortable -- food there is fair to good. In Anchorage we stayed at the Marriott Hotel. Not a very tidy place, but we did have a great view of the sunset. In Fairbanks we stayed at Sophie's Station. A lovely hotel and we had a suite---think the whole hotel is suites. We had living room, kitchen, bedroom and bath. It was tidy and we would have liked to stay for the winter, just for the experience.

It was in Fairbanks that I got my first glimpse of the Northern Lights---AWESOME!
If you leave word with the desk clerk in the lobby, they will give you a wake up call should the Northern Lights appear. I got my call at 1:30 a.m. Its one of my most treasured memories.

We were on the glass domed "Wilderness Express" train from Anchorage to Fairbanks. It was a wonderful trip. The seats are so comfortable and the food on the train is excellent. The hosts aboard the train are interesting and sometimes entertaining; they add to the experience.

I wish we could do the trip all over again. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions <bzales@aol.com>

Barb

Pacific Coast/Alaska 14-day cruise in only. . .
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;21;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

Summit-Alaska C/T, Sept 2003

Sleddogs too bad you are going on tour 12 in August and not June I have not found one couple that is going with us on that tour.I still haven't received docs yet and we leave in 37 days. I am pretty sure we will be staying in the Grand Denaliwhich by the way is the only a/c place in the park.Still no word on Anchorage or Fairbanks.I will post as soon as I get my info.Have you booked any tours yet?

First to Barb: Thanks for the great tip on Northern Light viewing. What a great idea. We will definitely ask for a wake up call. I don't care what time it is! The Wilderness Express sounds like a great time. What I love about this tour is that there is a little bit of everything. Air, rail, bus, cruise, etc. I called Celebrity today and they said they usually use the Mariott in Anchorage, but we won't know until we are ticketed where we are staying in Denali or Fairbanks as they use several different hotels. I appreciate your feedback on the various places you've stayed. Have a wonderful time on your upcoming trip. Seven days to go!!!!

Second to Al1993: We hadn't seen anyone on our trip yet either, but I think Sheree may be on ours? We can't go in June because of our work schedules. As far as tours, because of all the great reviews, we've booked Capt. Larry in Juneau, we have the Yukon 4 x 4 Jeep Adventure in Skagway (we did the White Pass train last time and it was great), and the Duck Tour in Ketchikan (again because of the good reviews). Haven't decided on Icy Straight yet. Not sure if we should book something thru Celebrity or wing it. Have been reading the posts from one of the residents that lives there. He is giving some wonderful info on Icy Straight. So we'll see what we end up doing. I will look forward to reading your reviews when you return. Have a great time!

Last to Sheree: Hello! Not sure if you are on the same cruise as we are, but we are really looking forward to our trip. I have rec'd some informative visitors' guides from Fairbanks, Anchorage and Juneau. I'm sure you'll have fun on your precruise. The McKinley Chalet should be wonderful. I can't wait to find out where we are staying.

Thanks to all of you for responding to my post. Sleddogs [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jewel of the Seas 12 night British Isles/Norwegian Fjords 7/2005~~30th Anniversary

we're end of august southbound. is that you as well?
we're doing capt larry as well in juneau. this tim ein skagway we're renting a car and driving to emerald lake.
ketchikan we haven't planned anything, probably do the lumberjack show.
not sure about icy strait point yet either.
we're touring on our own precruise. didn't want to subject our son to long bus rides! this way we can stop at will. we are doing the train from anchorage to seward.

Sheree

Sheree,

We are going in early August on this cruise. Land first, cruise after. My folks had done a cruisetour a few years ago with Princess except that they did the land portion after the cruise. They were in their mid sixties at the time and said they should have done the land first because they were exhausted. At least they could have relaxed and rested on the cruise. Live and learn.

Too bad we are not on the same cruise. I totally understand about not wanting to have your son subjected to long bus rides. It's hard for the kids sometimes. But I'm sure he'll have fun. I'll try to write a review after we return and hopefully before you go if time permits.

Sleddogs

Archived