HELP from anyone who has been to Kusadasi!

Do you need a tourist Visa in order to get off the ship and tour Kusadasi?

I have received conflicting information form Royal Caribbean regarding tourist visas in Turkey. When I called 1-800-327-6700, they told me that you need a visa (but if you book an excursion thru RCCL, you are covered). When I called customer service at 1-800-529-6918, they said U.S citizens do not need visas in Turkey.

We have booked a private tour for 35 people in Turkey and the tour company said no visa is required since we aren't staying overnight and are "in transit" passengers. Our travel agent said tourist visas are required and you can purchase a tourist visa sticker at the port of entry for $20.

Can anyone who's been to Kusadasi help clarify? Thank you.

We are sailing on the RCCL Brilliance from Barcelona on 7/23, with a scheduled stop in Kusadasi. It is our understanding that if you are on a shore excursion arranged by RCCL that you will be covered by a "blanket visa", but that you must have your own visa if you plan on going ashore on your own.

Considering the recent terrorist bombing in Kusadasi, we are certainly hoping that RCCL will skip that stop and put in at Crete or Malta or Corfu instead.

Carl

We just returned from the June 7th Grand Princess cruise with a stop in Kusadasi. You definitely DO NOT need a Visa for Kusadasi. We arranged for a private tour to see Ephesus. Hope you've arranged to see the ruins... it was awesome!

Sandy

dogsrule - you got that right! Nejat is the best. We toured Istanbul with him in 2001 and will see him again two months from now at Kusadasi.

To the OP - you can depend on Nejat's answer being correct! He is a frequent guide for those of us arriving by cruise ship and is well informed about requirements for tourists visiting Turkey. When we flew in to Istanbul,Turkey (our port of embarkation in 2001) we were required to purchase a visa at the airport - only because we were staying overnight. No Visa was needed for Ephesus, because it is only a port stop fo the day.

Julie

Archived