Guernsey on your own

Guernsey is very easy to do on your own. The tenders drop off right at St Peter port which is on the edge of the town. The town it'self is nice for a walk around but not very big.

Near the port (to the left as you look from the ship) is Castle Cornet, which I try to visit every time I stop in Guernsey. It has a long history and has many very interesting areas covering all periods of it's existence.

There is a bus (I think it's #1 route) that will take you all they way round the island following the coast line back to where you started from. I believe though there are some changes to the timings and is not as frequent as it once was, perhaps 1 per hour now and costs £2 I think.

What is the tour Princess wanted $99 for ? I did a princess tour a couple of years ago to the undergound hospital and the war museum, but I'm sure it was only $59 or so for a 3 hour tour.

I would check out Guernsey Taxi tours. They take up to 4 people with various itineraries, a 2.5 hour tour is £99 (~£25 pp) or 3.5 hour at £135. those are per car for up to 4 people. They can tailor a tour for you depending on your interests such as WW2 occupation and German defences, different forts, harbours etc.

We did a bike tour at Guernsey and loved it. The tour is about 15 miles long, but not stressful. They make several stops to see interesting things.

The bikes were already at the dock when we arrived.

If you DTY, the dock is right in the town.

This is the excursion details for $99.95 each

Board your motorcoach and drive out of St. Peter Port. Cross the island and head towards the dramatic western coast. Here, rocky cliffs alternate with stretches of beach and sand. Travel through the island's center and pass the greenhouses that produce Guernsey's major agricultural exports: carnations and cut flowers. View scenic villages, stone-built farmhouses and picturesque, narrow country lanes.

Visit the famous Little Chapel of Guernsey. Set in quiet countryside along a tree-lined path, lays a miniature church. The Little Chapel was built by hand over many years by Brother Deodat of the Christian Brothers. The church was constructed to resemble the grotto at Lourdes. Made of simple materials, it is beautifully decorated with pebbles, shells and numerous pieces of colorful broken china. The intricate construction of the chapel reflects the skill and devotion displayed by the builder to his faith, and the creation of this historic holy site.

Continue on to the Gold and Silversmiths Workshops. The workshops are situated in a converted barn which dates back to 1582. Take in a close-up view of the traditional craft being carried out before your eyes. The jewelry, featuring exquisite craftsmanship and traditional designs, is on display in the showroom next door, where you will have time to browse for gifts.

You can also just rent a car and drive yourself to all of these places (or whatever takes your fancy). Many car rental companies are very used to doing this for cruise ship passengers who are calling for the day, and make the process very easy.

Is it possible to do Guernsey on your own? Is the port close to areas of interest? Princess wants $99.95 each for a 2.5 hr shore excursion, seems pricey and not much to do. :confused:

Yes, it is possible to do Guernsey on your own. Hiring a car is probably the best way to get around the island, however if you are not used to driving on small roads, and stick shift gears, I would not recommend this. The local tourist board website is http://www.visitguernsey.gg which has a lot of recommendations. Yes, there is a round the island bus, it is now numbers 91, 92 or 93. Please check http://www.buses.gg for the most up to date timetables. The round the island bus does stop at some of the attractions, however it is more of a route to be able to see some of the island coastline outside of the main town.

If you have any more specific questions, please feel free to post here and I will try to answer.

Whatever you do, enjoy your time in Guernsey, and thank you for taking the time to visit.

No need to book an expensive excursion. The round island bus is an excellent way of touring the island and the bus station is an easy walk from the tender drop off. Turn left at the end of the pier and you will see it.

If you wish to remain in town, then the walk to Castle Cornet and small museum there is very easy and also to the Military Museum which is only a little further. St Peter Port is an attractive place are there is easy shopping and a good selection of cafes and restaurants. It's a very relaxing port of call. You will enjoy it very much.

We did the bike ride, which took us to about half the island and many of the points described in the stated tour.

Rental of a car may be a good choice, but I can say that around the town, the auto traffic was a problem, which bike avoided.

In 2013, we took the city bus all around (about a hour). I think it was 2GPB/pp to the driver, if you exited the bus you had to pay the amount again,, they also had an all day ticket, try to have the correct amount.

The driver did point out a few places (this is not a tourist bus so he did not have to tell us anything). We stopped two times for his break for about 5 minutes. He helped passengers that wanted to visit sights and told them where to catch the the return bus.

We were on the first bus of the day and were full of Princess passengers. When we returned a hour later, there was a long line of Princess passengers waiting to get on (I am sure they all won't get on that bus).

Excellent way to see the island and cheap.

When you exit the dock area, turn left and walk along the waterfront, pass the church to the bus terminal.

It is a tender port so there might be long lines to return to the ship.

Guernsey has their own money, so if you get change back ask for GBP back.

Edited by phabric

I was thinking of using a bike rental, but not doing the bike tour. Would it be pretty easy to get to the places of interest with rental bikes. I like bike riding, but my lazy daughter is to fond of it . lol. I was thinking she could get an electric version to simplify her ride. I basically am interested in seeing the underground hospital, the little church and other churches. Also, I saw something about a museum close to the underground hospital that has a Beatles exhibit. My daughter loves anything dealing with the Beatles.

From my understanding, all these places should be easy to get to with bikes. Is this doable? Suggestions or opinions are welcomed. This is our first time to Europe and we don't like group tours because they seem to move too slow and get boring for us.

I was thinking of using a bike rental, but not doing the bike tour. Would it be pretty easy to get to the places of interest with rental bikes. I like bike riding, but my lazy daughter is to fond of it . lol. I was thinking she could get an electric version to simplify her ride. I basically am interested in seeing the underground hospital, the little church and other churches. Also, I saw something about a museum close to the underground hospital that has a Beatles exhibit. My daughter loves anything dealing with the Beatles.

From my understanding, all these places should be easy to get to with bikes. Is this doable? Suggestions or opinions are welcomed. This is our first time to Europe and we don't like group tours because they seem to move too slow and get boring for us.

We didn't research the sites prior to going to Guernsey, but I think you could do it with a bike rental. Still, you would be stopping to check your map unless you had a gps. I would recommend the bike tour. The guide is excellent and the ride is not stressful at all. Any hills are hardly hills at all.

• 2 weeks later...

The little Chapel is easily accessible by bus but the route numbers have changed.

The day bus pass is 4.50 GBP and you can get on and off any bus as many times as you like. There are also family passes.

http://www.visitguernsey.com/-the-little-chapel

http://www.hctgroup.org/the_hct_group/ct_plus_guernsey

The 2015 summer timetables are not out yet.

This is the winter route map

http://hctgroup.org/uploaded/Guernsey/Timetables/Winter%202014/Winter%202014%20-%20Network%20Map.pdf

The Intransit private bus group does not do their regular tours or private tours when a ship is in port because they are fully booked with ship tours! True - I emailed them.

Edited by paddingtonbear

We did a bike tour at Guernsey and loved it. The tour is about 15 miles long, but not stressful. They make several stops to see interesting things.

The bikes were already at the dock when we arrived.

If you DTY, the dock is right in the town.

Hi PAPA, Mary and Jim from Asheville area, did cruise last Jan. with you. We will be doing British Isles, including Guernsey area. Did you see the underground hospital? Mary and Jim

We did Guernsey on our own. Have you read The Potato Peel Society? It is about the WWII occupation. There is a private museum that has a very interesting display and explanation of what happened. We took the bus there. It was a little hard to find and we did not have enough time to see it all since we got to the port late. We are going back and this time we will take a taxi directly to the museum to have enough time.

Edited by sunshine nana

Can someone tell me how long and how far the orchid fields are from St. Peter Port taking the Rt. 91 bus? We will be there on June 3. Is that past the best viewing times?

If we get off the bus, will we have a problem reboarding a later bus?

And how much is the all day bus pass?

Thanks!

P.S.

I have the 2014 DK Eyewitness Travel Guide for Great Britain. Guernsey is not listed! Invergordon gets no mention and Inverness is barely covered.

You can also just rent a car and drive yourself to all of these places (or whatever takes your fancy). Many car rental companies are very used to doing this for cruise ship passengers who are calling for the day, and make the process very easy.

Would they require an International drivers license?

Would they require an International drivers license?

No - but they must bring their original licence to drive. They would also have to produce their passports and provide a credit card to cover any costs over and above the rental.

Anyone thinking of driving on this beautiful island should bear in mind that many roads in Guernsey are narrow lanes, with high hedges or granite walls. You must be ready to meet horses, cattle, cyclists, pedestrians and other drivers who may be just as lost as you, not to mention busses and tractors.

The 35 mph speed limit is unlikely to be a problem.

• 3 weeks later...

We will be visiting Guernsey in July and I was hoping to visit the Underground Hospital but according to the ships discription of it, it is cold and damp. As I have a severe lung problem (COPD) the damp might affect me, the cold I can dress for.

How damp is it and would I be wise to give it a miss? I am interested in the history of the German occupation of Guernsey. Are there other German sites I can visit?

This is not a fully restored and tourist friendly place. It has pretty much been left as it was after WW2 and the German Occupation . It is a series of tunnels with limited lighting and a very strange atmosphere.

Very atmospheric and a bit creepy. How damp it is depend on the weather. If it has been dry for a couple of weeks prior, it would be fine. Otherwise, I think maybe better to give it a miss. It doesn't take long to get round - half an hour or so from memory.

This is not a fully restored and tourist friendly place. It has pretty much been left as it was after WW2 and the German Occupation . It is a series of tunnels with limited lighting and a very strange atmosphere.

Very atmospheric and a bit creepy. How damp it is depend on the weather. If it has been dry for a couple of weeks prior, it would be fine. Otherwise, I think maybe better to give it a miss. It doesn't take long to get round - half an hour or so from memory.

Thanks Bob, as this our first day of the cruise I think I will take your advice and stay above ground.

Guernsey also has a Guernsey Occupation Museum, which is above ground. I attach a link to their website for you to browse. It is just off the bus route that circumnavigates the island, which is popular with tourists. I also list the website for the local buses.

http://www.germanoccupationmuseum.co.uk

http://www.buses.gg

Enjoy

We will be visiting Guernsey in July and I was hoping to visit the Underground Hospital but according to the ships discription of it, it is cold and damp. As I have a severe lung problem (COPD) the damp might affect me, the cold I can dress for.

How damp is it and would I be wise to give it a miss? I am interested in the history of the German occupation of Guernsey. Are there other German sites I can visit?

I have read several people saying cold, damp and musty. Said wished they had not gone, not much to see. I am not wanting to go there when it said damp and musty. Seems like each time I have come home from a cruise I have bronchial problems which have lasted for weeks. Of course, I know a lot of that is from the airplane trip.

Edited by 2ashevillesailors