Port of Civitavechhia/Rome - How to get to Rome?!

France81

I just found out that this port is 1 1/2 hours from the city of Rome. Any suggestions as to transport. or reasonable tour guide for a single female traveler? Being a single is proving to be a challenge (including paying a double rate for the cruise) but I am trying to make this work because I REALLY need this vacation. I am grateful for any help.

Hi, France -

The ship will certainly have a couple of tours that include transportation to Rome and back, along with guided sightseeing, admission to various sights, lunch, etc. These tours can be pretty expensive ($100+), partly because they're very long, all day in some cases. Sometimes, they'll also have an option for just a bus transfer, where they take you to a certain location and pick you up six hours later. I think that option was about $50 on the RCCL cruise I was on several years ago.

If you're an intrepid traveler, you can take the train back and forth. The roundtrip train fare should be cheap (less than $20 in second class) and the ship will probably run a van shuttle from the port to the train station for their crew - just ask one of the crew about it. If you chose to go on your own, you're also responsible to get back to the ship in time, which is not a concern with the ship tours. Check out www.trenitalia.com (the Italian train system web site) to see the train schedules and prices.

Also, you may want to check out the "Rome" part of the "ports" section of these boards - Probably someone else has had the same questions!

Since I've been to Rome on other trips, the last time I was in Civitavecchia on a cruise I just stayed on board in the morning, and took a half-day tour to some fascinating Etruscan tombs. I had a relaxing day and everyone else got back very late from Rome, exhausted.

There are never enough days at sea!

There is a VERY extensive discussion on this and other independent touring for Med cruises on the Europe board. Let me see if I can find that for you...

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=109097554&m=4563063427

In the opening post, scroll down to Section 5.

"I'm gonna book myself on that Princess Cruise."

-- Fox Mulder, X-Files 'Three Words'

• 6 years later...
I just found out that this port is 1 1/2 hours from the city of Rome. Any suggestions as to transport. or reasonable tour guide for a single female traveler? Being a single is proving to be a challenge (including paying a double rate for the cruise) but I am trying to make this work because I REALLY need this vacation. I am grateful for any help.

We arranged our transfer from Civitavecchia to Rome (FCO) airport with our TA. Mode of transportation was a large air-conditioned bus w/restroom

Archived